Pros and cons of changing wheel Offsets? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Pros and cons of changing wheel Offsets?


Pros and cons of changing wheel Offsets?

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
location: Missouri
Posts: 374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pros and cons of changing wheel Offsets?

Since a lot of people end up changing offsets when buying a new set of wheels, I was wondering if there's any change in vehicle dynamics, besides the visual differences. For example, I'm contemplating buying a new set of wheels for my coupe and they have alower offset of +20, meaning the wheels will stick out more. Will handling improve if I make the change considering that the wheels are further apart? I've heard that increasing the scrub radius may have some negative effects, but I'm not sure it's a big deal if it's within limits.

Despite the visual benefits of sticking out further, companies must release their certain offsets for a reason. Think it's something to consider?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM
StreetChase's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2006
location: Jersey/Towson, MD
Posts: 995
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While you make a valid point, people have been putting aftermarkets wheels on their cars for years and years. It probably does affect the cars handling/performance but on such a small scale that its not worth the afterthought. Ive come to believe that factory offsets are a little on the conservative side and slight differentiations do not play a large part in altering the vehicles dynamics
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (21)
Join Date: Aug 2006
location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,244
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetChase
While you make a valid point, people have been putting aftermarkets wheels on their cars for years and years. It probably does affect the cars handling/performance but on such a small scale that its not worth the afterthought. Ive come to believe that factory offsets are a little on the conservative side and slight differentiations do not play a large part in altering the vehicles dynamics
If you increase the width between wheels would that allow for better cornering or am i wrong on that? I would think that by making the car have a wider wheel base that it would allow for better cornering, but that has just been my interpretation since i was little. No one ever explained that to me.

-sean
Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
iTrader: (47)
Join Date: Sep 2005
location: San Diego/Redondo Beach
Posts: 9,257
Thanked 135 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G
If you increase the width between wheels would that allow for better cornering or am i wrong on that? I would think that by making the car have a wider wheel base that it would allow for better cornering, but that has just been my interpretation since i was little. No one ever explained that to me.

-sean
you are correct, widening the cars wheel base will improve handling, keeping the car more "flat" in the turns, but not to such an extent where you will notice a big difference.

going with wider wheels and lower offsets than the oem size has no negative affect on the cars performance.
-GP-
Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (21)
Join Date: Aug 2006
location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,244
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
you are correct, widening the cars wheel base will improve handling, keeping the car more "flat" in the turns, but not to such an extent where you will notice a big difference.

going with wider wheels and lower offsets than the oem size has no negative affect on the cars performance.
-GP-

Ok, thats what i thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
It probably does affect the cars handling/performance but on such a small scale that its not worth the afterthought
I thought when you said this it was meant in a negative way.

-sean
Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,018
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Aftermarket wheels and offsets.....

I've "never" owned a car that I haven't changed the wheels/tires and for the
most part it's always made an improvement in handeling with a few other
mods. The one place you need to be carefull is in offset with a wider wheel.
With a 10" wheel you need to fill it up with the correct size tire (275 or 285)
and by doing so if your offset is to great you'll quickly run out of room!
Companys like the TireRack have all the information on line or you can call
them and talk to a rep that knows his merchandise.......good luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G
If you increase the width between wheels would that allow for better cornering or am i wrong on that? I would think that by making the car have a wider wheel base that it would allow for better cornering, but that has just been my interpretation since i was little. No one ever explained that to me.

-sean
If you widen the stance of your car you are essentially creating a lower center of gravity, which makes for better handling

....it wont be anything really noticable though.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (21)
Join Date: Aug 2006
location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,244
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
If you widen the stance of your car you are essentially creating a lower center of gravity, which makes for better handling

....it wont be anything really noticable though.
Hopefully i will notice the difference when i finally put my TE37 rims on vs my OEM 17s

-sean
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
location: Missouri
Posts: 374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
going with wider wheels and lower offsets than the oem size has no negative affect on the cars performance.
-GP-
I'm not so sure about that. I've heard that increasing the offset increases the scrub radius which has less than optimal effects on the suspension. Basically that can lead to amplification of bumbsteer, torquesteer, and a decrease of the suspension's "wheel rate" (spring rate as measured by the wheel) - which can decrease grip. But with wider tires, I would think that this effect is negligible.

I got another recommendation stating that most companies suggest staying within a +/- range of 5mm.....something most folks here surpass.

Really though, if aggressive offsets were so beneficial, I would think that car companies would lower their offsets in stock form for better performance. Instead, every car comes with what modders think are conservative setups. I'm concerned with how offsets can also affect longevity of other components, if they have any affect at all.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
iTrader: (47)
Join Date: Sep 2005
location: San Diego/Redondo Beach
Posts: 9,257
Thanked 135 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLegend
I'm not so sure about that. I've heard that increasing the offset increases the scrub radius which has less than optimal effects on the suspension. Basically that can lead to amplification of bumbsteer, torquesteer, and a decrease of the suspension's "wheel rate" (spring rate as measured by the wheel) - which can decrease grip. But with wider tires, I would think that this effect is negligible.

I got another recommendation stating that most companies suggest staying within a +/- range of 5mm.....something most folks here surpass.

Really though, if aggressive offsets were so beneficial, I would think that car companies would lower their offsets in stock form for better performance. Instead, every car comes with what modders think are conservative setups. I'm concerned with how offsets can also affect longevity of other components, if they have any affect at all.
Manufacturers dont go with aggressive setups because they have to cater to the needs of the average american, which wouldnt be one that wants to drop thousands and thousands of dollars into his/her car wiht aftermarket parts.. there is a limit to how much you can increase the width offset on every car unless you go with a widebody, even then it doesnt negatively affect the cars performance..
-GP-
Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Jeff92se's Avatar
Red Card Crew
iTrader: (24)
Join Date: May 2005
location: ɐʍ 'ǝlʇʇɐǝs
Posts: 35,467
Thanked 523 Times in 438 Posts
Wouldn't extreme offsets put extra pressure on the wheel bearings? Especially in a widebody case where the offsets could actually go positive?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
redlude97's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (25)
Join Date: Feb 2006
location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Wouldn't extreme offsets put extra pressure on the wheel bearings? Especially in a widebody case where the offsets could actually go positive?
You mean negative? Ideally, the spokes on the wheels should come straight off the hub and connect at the center of the wheel if not slightly inward for the least amount of torque applied to the wheel bearings, which in turn puts less stress on them. This becomes an clearance issue with wide wheels however which is why you offset to the outside
Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Hopefully i will notice the difference when i finally put my TE37 rims on vs my OEM 17s

-sean
I still dont think you are going to notice a whole lot.

The real key to better handling is.... Drum roll please.....

Suspension components!!! haha

Nice wheels though. What finish did you go with?

PS- Your track times still amaze me man
Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 PM
redlude97's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (25)
Join Date: Feb 2006
location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
I still dont think you are going to notice a whole lot.

The real key to better handling is.... Drum roll please.....

Suspension components!!! haha

Nice wheels though. What finish did you go with?

PS- Your track times still amaze me man
Actually, I would say tires make the biggest difference, they are always the limiting factor when it comes to handling
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97
Actually, I would say tires make the biggest difference, they are always the limiting factor when it comes to handling
Good point

But, equal tires given, suspension parts will lead to greater cornering ability than wider offsets of wheels.

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying 2014 Q50S Hybrid TheJanitor6203 The Q - Spot 7 10-06-2015 11:13 AM
FS[SoEast]: ROTA P45 18 x 9.5 +20 with TIRES friedsqrl 18 Inch 11 08-09-2015 01:41 PM
FS[SoCal]: 20 inch Concept One RS8 wheels for sale IEMaestro 20 Inch 0 07-30-2015 05:30 PM
Oil Catch Can confusion lemmy999 G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 0 07-25-2015 01:13 PM


Tags
20, car, cons, coupe, fittment, g35, increase, negative, offset, offsets, pros, stick, wheel, wheelbase, wheels, wrong
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, panoramic-3d.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


car shakes when brakingjvc everio gz hm440car spraying coolantdiy lsdakebono caliper decals2012 infiniti g37x mpgfalken tires miamicost for a brake jobinfiniti canada partskickers 15 subwoofershow much to replace blown head gasketg35 front bumper lipinfiniti dryermaxx 35n batteryplasti dip gunmetal wheelsoem gtr wheelsengine clicking noise idlehow to add usb port to car stereoplx obd2 bluetoothdifference between 10w30 and 10w40mtec bulbsstrong smell of petrol from exhaustfx50 0-60sacramento wheel repairsimple green engine baynissan vq35de engine for salenissan oem rimshow much does it cost to replace power steering belt2006 infiniti m35 catalytic converterinfiniti q45 headlight350z subs350z 4 seatersubwoofer remote wireg35 front bumperflowmaster super 10 exhaust systemcarfax vs autocheck2005 nissan altima computer resetoptima battery for sale cheaplsd clutchmitsubishi galant vr4 salecar clicks won t startg35 stereo upgradecar shakes at stop lightslammed rides2004 g35 coupe specss13 megan coiloverswhat causes multiple misfireseline brake rotors reviewxxr racing wheelsg2 paint brake caliperswork varianza t1s for sale2007 nissan 350z supercharger kitmeisters wheelscar burnt rubber smellgoodyear vin decoder350z turbo kitmobil m1-110350z long tube headersvw gti fastbuffing car scratcheskq9buyers remorse law canadasylvania's automotive bulb replacement guidetenzo ralpine type r 12 mounting depthg8 gxp forumnitto nt55g35 coupe manual for salemobil 1 synthetic vs royal purplehow often should i change power steering fluidjl audio w0v2infiniti g37 paddle shiftersgrom audio ipd310w30 vs 5w3030 pin to aux cablexxr hub centric ringsinch pound torque wrench home depotaerocatch hood pins installclutch burntaxis penta