Cold Air vs Short Ram - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Cold Air vs Short Ram

Cold Air vs Short Ram

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Cold Air vs Short Ram

I've been looking at intakes. Still not sure if they are worth spending any money on. I'm fairly skeptical about horsepower gains. But, I'm doing the research and trying to figure things out.

The thing I'm curious about is short ram vs cold air. What does this mean? Thanks for any help.

George
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Former panoramic-3d.ru Vendor
If you are in Socal, I can get you the best of both worlds. PM me (only) if you are in Socal.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N80 View Post
I've been looking at intakes. Still not sure if they are worth spending any money on. I'm fairly skeptical about horsepower gains. But, I'm doing the research and trying to figure things out.

The thing I'm curious about is short ram vs cold air. What does this mean? Thanks for any help.

George
Talked to Fast Intentions regarding exhausts and the guy there told me to save my money. The V36 engine comes with an excellent stock duel intake. He said just put some K & N dropin filters and you're set. The bolt on intakes give you some of the worst bang for the buck you can do for your G35 according to him.

Personally, I'm probably just gonna check out getting a good grounding kit as it is supposed to smooth out the 5 speed automatic trans shifting. There is some debate about it, but most everyone who has done it says it helped smooth the DS shifting. Maybe a new exhaust, but that is $1,200 which perhaps will get me another 15 horses and a better sound. I can wait on that.

You tube has a lot of examples of the different exhausts sounds for the G35.

Tinting was $200 bucks well spent. Gonna put another $200 on the front windshield for that blue ceramic clear tint to really keep it cool in the hot So Cal summers. Was amazed how much cooler the tint has kept the car already.

Also spent a little here and there on blue LEDs inside, rear license and front fog lights. Probably still gonna add some under the dash/seats blue LEDs to finish the look. It is actually pretty understated, but cool in my black sedan. Some chrome license plate holders as well.

Nothing too fancy, but fun non the less.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I agree, after researching the intakes reference to our model G, its not worth it. You are better off with the stock system. I myself just put some filters, grounding kit (it did make a difference in shifting) and hypertech turner. Will look at an exhaust system in the coming months. Being a daily driver, I believe it will stop there besides my 15% tint all away around...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 AM
You're Despicable
well personally I was in the same boat as you guys.

I stuck with the OEM filters and added K&N drop filters.

Anyway, after nearly 2 years I decided to jump onto the Stillen Gen3 intakes. Install was a bit annoying, but nothing toooo hard.

After the install I had a few squeaks, by the second day I had sorted them out. I would say I might have lost a bit of tq on the bottom end but nothing toooo noticeable. What I did notice was the car seems to move up the revs faster, esp from around 5-7k.

The best thing I like about the intake is the noise, I know it's nothing I would have really looked for but the noise it makes at WOT is nice, and I love it.

I believe CAI will only really be beneficial if you tune the car, then it should bring things back into line and utilize whatever the CAI can add. That's my personally opinion and I understand all of the above comments as I was in the same mind set.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
You are NOT going to notice ANY performance change with 4-5horses MAX from an intake. TOO negligible!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys, that's about what I was thinking.

What is a grounding kit?

George
Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM
You're Despicable
Search is your friend buddy --------> http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/search....archid=9732301
Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defratos View Post
Search is your friend buddy --------> http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/search....archid=9732301
Dead link.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
You're Despicable
Opps sorry:

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/media-s...y-request.html

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/v36-eng...nding-kit.html

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/g35-sed...ng-kit-go.html

there's more in the search, I have the black betty grounding kit but they all seem to be similar
Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I couldnt agree more. i had the K&N Typhoon intake and i felt like i lost power. not to mention the noise was almost to the point where i thought my engine was going to explode when i floored it. i ended up selling and making the switch to the K&N drop in filters and im much happier now. I also have the Grounding kit and it did help out a little bit in the DS mode.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
You're Despicable
I actually love my Stillen Gen 3

and I doubt I'd get any other filter because their either short ram air filters (which I hate because of heat soaking from the engine bay) or they're the Ingen CAIs which are probably the second best alternative but Stillen I personally feel has the best placment when it comes to airfilter location
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know the actual difference between the intakes?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
I have the R2C's and after reading the loss of tq down low i was skeptical too. After having them on the car since February I still love them. Makes my G sound like a BEAST at WOT and seems like it pulls a bit harder above 4k RPM's too. The sound is incredible though haha.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
^+1 no complaints here! have had them from a long long time and could not be happier!