Installed K&N Drop In Air Filters. - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Installed K&N Drop In Air Filters.

Installed K&N Drop In Air Filters.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Installed K&N Drop In Air Filters.

Read some great reviews here and there, decided to give it a try. Same drop in as OEM paper filters, so no technical knowledge is needed.

However, I had a really hard time locking the compartment. I had to use my full force to lock it and it barely locked. Tried unlocking it and it popped opened with just a fingertip. Never had this problem with OEM filters. They just fit right in.

Anybody had same issues? I'm a bit concerned that it might unlock itself when passing thru the speed bumps.

As for the performance goes, I really couldn't notice any differences. May be because I'm a grandpa driver.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Mr.202?
No, performance, And yes more dirt in the engine.

Any how are you sure its in there correctly? It should snap shut, and not be as easy to unclip as you say (duh) :P

I just installed an Aftermarket Filter, and it had a bigger gasket but it still shut easy.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
I installed the same filters in my G and it was hard to get the clips to close too. They went in the same way as the OEM filters.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:16 AM
It took a some extra force to get my air boxes closed when I installed the K&N's also, so I don't think it is a big deal.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 AM
You're Despicable
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
No, performance, And yes more dirt in the engine.

Any how are you sure its in there correctly? It should snap shut, and not be as easy to unclip as you say (duh) :P

I just installed an Aftermarket Filter, and it had a bigger gasket but it still shut easy.
I still think it's a better alternative than the cone filters, the drop in air filters are less likely to suck in dirt, especially since they're in the same OEM compartment.

humm I've had mine sitting for the past 2 weeks to install just waiting for my car to come back, good thing I read this so I know what to expect.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Glad(???) to hear that it's common. I'll closely check and see if the compartment opens itself. It was okay today. I checked it as soon as I got home. haha.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 AM
I would stay clear of KN&N filter because it will dirty up your mass airflow sensor because of the oils. How do I know this? I know because I had issues with my car bogging and actually shutting off higher speeds, so I took out my airflow sensor and there was nothing but oil and dirt on it. I cleaned the flow sensor and throttle body with mass airflow sensor cleaner and installed an Amsoil drop in dry filter and my bogging and shutting off is solved. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 AM
You're Despicable
^ ok did you by any chance re-oil your filter?

Most people have this problem because they do not read the instructions. When it comes to cleaning out and re-oiling the air filter you have to let it sit and dry for several hours, I usually leave it for a whole day just to make sure. Also you have to make sure not to over oil the filter itself.

I've been using K&N Cone filters for over 7 years on my Audi and I am yet to find a problem. My brother had this problem because LIKE MANY he did not READ the freaking instructions and he was in a hurry so he never gave it time to dry.

Patience is a virtue, but then again if you want to completely avoid all the above hassle then get yourself a dry filter. The main reason for the oil in the K&N filter is to trap dust and dirt.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I also had trouble closing the compartment. I loved my k&n drop ins while I had them installed. Now I have the Takeda intakes. No performance gains, but I LOVE the sound. If anyone wants to buy my K&N's real cheap LMK.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldinsG35 View Post
I would stay clear of KN&N filter because it will dirty up your mass airflow sensor because of the oils. How do I know this? I know because I had issues with my car bogging and actually shutting off higher speeds, so I took out my airflow sensor and there was nothing but oil and dirt on it. I cleaned the flow sensor and throttle body with mass airflow sensor cleaner and installed an Amsoil drop in dry filter and my bogging and shutting off is solved. Hope this helps.
I heard about it too and this is what K&N says:

Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defratos View Post
^ ok did you by any chance re-oil your filter?

Most people have this problem because they do not read the instructions. When it comes to cleaning out and re-oiling the air filter you have to let it sit and dry for several hours, I usually leave it for a whole day just to make sure. Also you have to make sure not to over oil the filter itself.

I've been using K&N Cone filters for over 7 years on my Audi and I am yet to find a problem. My brother had this problem because LIKE MANY he did not READ the freaking instructions and he was in a hurry so he never gave it time to dry.

Patience is a virtue, but then again if you want to completely avoid all the above hassle then get yourself a dry filter. The main reason for the oil in the K&N filter is to trap dust and dirt.
I think after owning several cars with KNN filters in them and working on cars here and there, I think by now I would know that you have to let it dry. I know there are people out there that don't follow instructions not just on the filter, but on a lot of things and stuff happens. I am not actually the first person with this issue, there are several of my friends and some fellow G drivers that had the same experience. I am not dissing the product by any means, but there are better filters out there and I wanna help out my G drivers in any way to save them the headache that I went through.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 AM
You're Despicable
Yup I'd agree there probably are better filters out there, thanks for clearing that up. Atleast we agree that all K&N filters don't [email protected] up every car
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 AM
im with Defratos, if you had oil fling onto the MAF, you overoiled.. PERIOD. without a doubt you're guilty of overoiling. if you did it correctly, you should be fine. i've used oil'ed cone and drop in filters for over 6 years on various cars and i NEVER got oil on my maf.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldinsG35 View Post
dryflow filters FTW
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 AM
I been Using K&N Filters Since 1992 Without Any Problems. If You Take the Time to read The Directions on how to properly Wash and Re-install your K&N Filter You wont have any trouble. I usually Wash Them Every 20k and do it on a Friday Afternoon letting the Filter Dry Overnight and Get Re-Oiled The Next Day. Also Make Sure You Always Save those Stock Filters If you need to Go Anywhere in the Main Time. I keep My Original Filters on the K&N Boxes so when its Time to Wash the Filters I just Swap them Until its time for the K&N to Go Back into the Car.

I hope this Helps.