Replacing the Goodyear Eagle RSA's - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Replacing the Goodyear Eagle RSA's

Replacing the Goodyear Eagle RSA's

Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Replacing the Goodyear Eagle RSA's

My car came with Goodyear EagleRSA, P225/55 VR17 tires. How can I find out the manufacturer tread rating is on these tires? ie Are they rated for 40,,000 km? 50,0000 km, 60,000 km, less?

Everything I read about them confirms how crap they are past new, and that they really wear down fast. I assume its a really low rating.

I have 30,000 km, not thrilled with them, and with winter approaching, now is a good time to bite the bullet.... but still curious what the tires were rated for. Could not find the info anywhere .

Last edited by ThatsMyG; 11-11-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Treadwwear rating on those is 260, so should last longer as compared to say the BS RE050s which are 140 and wear very fast. But all that really means is you get to drive on a crappy tire longer! Get rid of 'em if you can afford to go with something that performs better.

Edit: here's a little discussion that may help you

Last edited by Swivel; 11-09-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Good link as well!

The tread rating numbers are faily useless to me. In the good old days, thwy told how may miles a tire would typically last! These 'new' relative ratings of course dont do that. I tried to google what they really mean, and got this:
==
The treadwear grade describes how long the tire manufacturers expects the tire to last. A Course Monitoring Tire (the standard tire that a test tire will be compared to) has a rating of "100". If a manufacturer assigns a treadwear rating of 200 to a new tire, they are indicating that they expect the new tire to have a useful lifespan that is 200% of the life of a Course Monitoring Tire.

Please note: As Course Monitoring Tires have changed, their treadwear grades have changed to numbers considerably higher than 100. As a result, it would be incorrect to say that a tire with a treadwear grade of 200 gets twice the life of the Course Monitoring Tire.
Notice that the treadwear grade is a ratio and not a mileage. This is because there are a lot of factors that determine treadwear rates and most of them are a function of driving conditions and operating environment, and not the tire itself. As a result, actual tire wear will vary considerably within the same tire line. The phrase "Your mileage may vary" applies here.
==
The replacement tires I am toying with, Nokian WRG2, has a rating of 420, so that part is good!

I took a look at my Eagles and they dont appear to my untrained eye to be very worn. I would like to post pics, but I suppose they would be meaningless without some point of reference - how does one 'measure' tread depth??

EDIT: Per instructions here, I will try to post pics accordingly
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
420, those will be hard as hockey pucks! Which is appropriate since they look like a winter tire (though usually winters are wayyy softer). While I always advocate true winter tires in winter, I'm not sure you'll like the (lack of) summer performance. How about some Mich Pilot sport A/S plus for 3 seasons and dedicated winters for the white stuff (if you even get that where you are).
Old 11-09-2009, 09:09 PM
The Nokian WRG2 would be a great All Season tire. It is one of the only All Season tires that I would use during the whole year including winter.
They are excellent tires.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Can someone help interpret my tread pics?

Apologies if I messed up these pics, but I am out of my league here and cant really intrepret these...are these pics good enough to determine if my tires are 'worn'?

LEFT FRONT PIC 1

LEFT FRONT PIC 2

LEFT REAR PIC 1

LEFT REAR PIC 2

RIGHT FRONT PIC 1

RIGHT FRONT PIC 2

RIGHT REAR PIC 1

RIGHT REAR PIC 2

Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Imo... i would run those a LONG time yet....
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE35FX View Post
The Nokian WRG2 would be a great All Season tire. It is one of the only All Season tires that I would use during the whole year including winter.
They are excellent tires.
Then like the man in orthopedic sneakers, I stand corrected!! I defer to your experience.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Tire rack just did a comparo looking at the Michelin line of tires for winter performance. The Pilot HX MXM all season actually fared pretty well. It was close to the LM series in winter performance and surprisingly close to the Pilot Sport A/S in wet and dry. If I had only one tire, I'd probably get those.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey what's with the American Penny? You're Canadian eh?

I have the same crappy tires on my car...and I have 33,000 km on it and the tires have less tread then your tires...no way I can go through winter with those...so I picked up a set of winter rim and tires of someone here on Kijiji....and I can run my tires for one more summer before they're toast.

I was going to get the Mich Pilot sport A/S plus...for my all season/summer tire.
they seam to have one of the best ratings. Not cheap though...got priced around the GTA at $240 a tire installed and ballanced.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I ran 245/45/18 Pilot Sport All Seasons on my 07X and just loved them, I had no complaints about them whatsever. I still ran the Blizzaks in the winter though because my wife was commuting on snow covered roads a acouple days a week through the winter and I wanted the best traction she could get.

As to Nokian tires.
I have run the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's on a car for a few years and they were awesome. They were a winter tire. They are also a pricey tire.
Nokian also makes a Performance orientated All Season tire. I had a couple friends that ran them and they were about the best compomise tire you could get for year round use. These tires do have a snow rating. I forget the exact model that they were but they call it the Nokian WRG2 now.
The only problem for me was the closest Dealer is 2 hours away.
Nokian tires were produced for the Nordic countries and are distributed all over Finland, Sweden etc.
For some info on Nokian tires go here:
Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Ya, I used the american penny as a reference point for the guide posted on

I would have concluded from my pics all the tires were indeed worn (except right rear which got replaced a year ago), but perhaps there is still plenty of tread to go.

Point is of course that its a long crappy way to go!

Nokians do look tempting At$ 1000 for the set, I need to sleep on it a few more days! Given they are safer and will given me an improved ride compared to today, and I have no desire to go with snoww (ie buy 8 tires and 4 more rims), it would appear they are in my future!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Mr.202?

These are EAGLE RSA tires as well, Front Right tire,According to my Tread Gauge this is about 4.75/32nd tread. Once it reaches 2 thats the minimum for insurance, so once it hits 3 you should start looking for replacements, your pics show you got a bit more tread then I do, so you could be at 5-6/32nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwivelHips View Post
Treadwwear rating on those is 260, so should last longer as compared to say the BS RE050s which are 140 and wear very fast. But all that really means is you get to drive on a crappy tire longer! Get rid of 'em if you can afford to go with something that performs better.

Edit: here's a little discussion that may help you

Ugg, I just read through that, and heck yea, I am in that hard rubber part of the tire lol, it sux. In the wet it breaks loose so easy.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing the Goodyear Eagle RSA's-img_1086.jpg

Last edited by thescreensavers; 11-10-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM
WINTER TIRES - Started off considering with Nokian WRG2 (as all season alternative to winters) but the low 50,000 km rating turned me off. Next thought about Michellin X-Ice which has has great review but the local tire store tells me they are swampnd with returns! Odd. Now on to Hankook which I have only heard good things about. (eg (Icebear W300 Winter Ipike W409). How do Haakooks compare with Blizzaks??

RIMS - Re a set of winter alum rims, are they any obvious manaufacturers/types to stay way from, or lean toward? I have never bought a set (other than what came with the car!.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Quote:
(Icebear W300 Winter Ipike W409). How do Haakooks compare with Blizzaks
I am just outside Vancouver BC, I ran 16" Hankook iPike w409's mounted to an MB 7x Alloy rim from discounttiredirect.com on my 03 Maxima SE. I live at elevation so each day is a good haul up a mountain and I also have a relatively short steep driveway as well. The Hankooks were a solid combo and I sold the set off with about 6500km for 650 ca last week since they do not fit the new 08 G35x I traded towards last week.

The Hankooks were H rated but since my wife drove the car the majority of time I was after safety more than performance as they were a tad mushy which is normal for a true winter tire. I would choose the 409's over the Icebear w300 they are studdable and just opverall better a tad noisier but I was not worried about noise I just needed traction and decent wet ability which they provided, I was not hindered once last winter and we got hammered in Vancouver last winter which is not normal.

Right now I have a decision to make real quick the Goodyear Eagle RSA's on the car right now have 25km or about 16K miles. I am not that impressed with them so I have 2 options

1)Falken Eurowinter HS439's V rated w to MB7 X 17" Alloy Silver painted rims

2)Replace the Goodyears w Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and forgo the winters but are they any good in snow, we could get equal to last year or less but they would be brand new and would do well in the wet weather we get here

Option #1 would give me a dedicated winter tire set allowing me to swap back to the Goodyears in late March 2010 & use them until later November when I would go back to the winter set. This would put off an all season purchase until spring 2011 but I am unsure if the Goodyears will last that long, plus our springs are really wet and these tires by then would suck in the wet.

Option #2 just go with the new All Season purchase now and hope they can cut the winters, but I can not get enough feedback from those running in a similar climate. The problem with this option is if they can not cut the winter and the drive home every day due to snow I am stuck trying to scramble for winter tires which could be choice limited.

So guys for those of you who have driven in snow with the G35x can the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus cut it?? My bro back in TO got a G37x last Nov and he was fine for the first winter with the stock rubber but this season he is getting winters as he leases the car and will turn it in at 3yr mark

Discounttire gave me the winter set for $778us w lug nut kit/ mounted & balanced & I'll also be getting a set of Hankook RH07's for $515us shipped w TPMS rebuild kit for my 07 RDX as I need tires for it as well. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are offered at $705us w a 70 MIR

Discount Tire Direct has such good prices and since I have have a drop address 40 minutes away in WA State I just get tires from them for huge saving as it is basically another 20% additional to cover exchange factor and pst/gst taxes to bring home.

I have the spare rooms for winter tires which would be the best route to go for the G35x feedback needed quick as I gotta call DTD tommorrow to make adjustment and order second set as well. The Michelin route saves me about $140 over going the winter tire route as well??

What to do guys all feedback welcomed asap......

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 12-04-2009 at 01:43 PM.