Texas Exhaust Laws - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Texas Exhaust Laws

Texas Exhaust Laws

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Texas Exhaust Laws

Does anyone know where I can actually find the State code for exhaust laws related to noise and requiring cats? I was Googling and I couldn't find anything but I did find a police forum that totally pissed me off. These cops were talking about giving tickets for loud exhaust and they are totally abusing their powers. People were saying things like "I only mess with the little civics with the coffee cans on the back. They're so annoying." It makes me so mad to see them being so subjective and only enforcing the laws on the vehicles they choose to mess with due to their personal feelings. What BS!

Long story short, I'm thinking of putting resonating test pipes on with a HKS Hi-Power or Borla cat back and I just wanted to know if that is legal or not.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Well test pipes alone for sure will make your car illegal if I'm not mistaken... I think cats are in a federal level...
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Test Pipes are not allowed in TX and that will automatically prevent you from getting inspection sticker (emission test). Cats are mandatory.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Found this and it may help...

Unfortunately, it seems that it leaves it vague so that dbag cops can decide if "they think" it's louder than normal...
Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info ya'll. I'm just going to put HFC on and hope for the best.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_AND_DA_G_RIDE View Post
Test Pipes are not allowed in TX and that will automatically prevent you from getting inspection sticker (emission test). Cats are mandatory.
This is false. I had my car registered in Texas and did my inspection in smith county. They only do safety. I had my test pipes on when I took the car in for inspection.

I assume it's like Missouri being it depends county to county.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure Its a county thing because I know of several cars in Lubbock that have test pipes
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 AM
in El Paso TX you need Cats to pass... i have my stock cats for when i need to have the inspection done but for the rest of the year i run Labree resonated test pipes with my Borla exhaust and have had no issues with police. but since i have a sedan the exhaust from the rear looks stock.

Now once i get my MotorDyne exhaust it might change...
Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
i have passed emission in austin and socorro tx with test pipes and a nismo exhaust with headers just make sure no check engine light and all codes are cleared and youll be fine i thought we didnt have an exhaust law here for noise
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I passed with megan long tube racing headers and injen super SES true dual exhaust and i passed and my car is loud as ish. Cops don't really bother me. They do stare a lot though and i just wave at them.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Im a state inspector short answer is Yes you must have your catalytic converters by law. Not all of Texas has emissions but, your emissions system must be intact. All major cities have emissions except San Antonio. The smaller cities and towns do not have them. The main thing is sound ordnance you have to worry about. An officer may be too lazy to give a ticket if he has to look under the car for catalytic converters. If they can hear it far away and its obnoxious they will write tickets all day. I can take pics of the law book at work tomorrow if need be.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismokid View Post
Im a state inspector short answer is Yes you must have your catalytic converters by law. Not all of Texas has emissions but, your emissions system must be intact. All major cities have emissions except San Antonio. The smaller cities and towns do not have them. The main thing is sound ordnance you have to worry about. An officer may be too lazy to give a ticket if he has to look under the car for catalytic converters. If they can hear it far away and its obnoxious they will write tickets all day. I can take pics of the law book at work tomorrow if need be.
Please do.

i always worry about getting pulled over and the officer being able to smell the unburned gas lol
Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Thumbs down

Good Lordy!
Your in Texas!
Just go to any Manuel Shops and you will pass any kinda emission test....SMH
The Following User Says Thank You to SukaZenki For This Useful Post:
732_IP_G35c (07-24-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Sorry yesterday was my birthday. My girlfriend threw a surprise party for me then distracted me after all the guest left :-P
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM
CAT's are a Federal requirement and you violate Federal law if you remove the CAT's, but aside from that there are only 9 areas in Texas that will actually check for them.

If you are outside the non attainment areas then a state inspector is not obgliated to check for emissions components. You'll likely not have any trouble with those rural areas, but unfortunately if the car is registered in a non attainment area you have to get it inspected there too.

I run Fast Intentions HFC's and CAT back. So far I've never been hasseled for the noise, but then I make sure I don't flaunt it in front of the Po Po just to keep from waking the sleeping dragon.