tailgating ticket & general ticket price question - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • tailgating ticket & general ticket price question

tailgating ticket & general ticket price question

Old 12-24-2007, 07:25 PM
tailgating ticket & general ticket price question

Last week I got a ticket for "following car too closely" (violation 21703).
I was on a 45mph street about 2-2 1/2 carlengths behind a minivan. a police car came behind me but didn't turn his lights on, then went to the side of me. i knew i wasn't speeding, so at this point i was more concerned with what the cop was going to do next rather than how close i was to the car in front of me. the cop then went back behind me and pulled me over. he said he wasn't a crime cop, but an accident prevention cop.

today i got the notice and the fine is $230, or $254 for traffic school. i was expecting the ticket to be about half this price..so i looked online to see how much other people paid, and on yahoo answers a San Diego PD said the approximate fine is $146 (see here: ). now, i realize that this is for san diego, but do counties really differ this much? a $100 difference?

i'm 20 years old and i look young for my age. i feel like i get a lot of **** from cops just because of the car i drive..for instance, the cop that gave me this ticket asked me my age 5 times, and was surprised each time. my first ticket was a 70 in a 45 (stupid, i know - it was a bad day in general) and it was $545. a friend did the same speed on the same street in between the exact same cross streets and his ticket was $240. i feel like i'm getting screwed here for no reason other than i drive a nicer car than the average kid. can anyone tell me what's the deal? thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Geee Man
My first ticket was the same thing, tailgatting, and it was around that price range. I dont rmr the exact amount but it was 200+. I live in OC area
Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
most young adults including myself went through that. from 17 to 21 years of age i always had a ticket pending, speeding/plate/reckless driving/tints/more speeding. Its been 8 strait months me being 21 that i dont have a ticket pending and luckily my points are all coming off next year.

To answer ur question, i think it is a combination of both, u looking young and braking the law at the wrong time. It will go away though.

Last edited by Klubbheads; 12-24-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:03 AM
I've never heard of an accident prevention cop, let alone a crime cop. There are only two classifications of cops that I know of at least, patrol and traffic. May I ask what agency cited you?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:09 PM
What a bunch of bs. He pulled you over because you had a fast car.