Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Tein Basic Coilovers

Tein Basic Coilovers

Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Tein Basic Coilovers

I have driven on the Tein Basic set-up for some 350 miles. One Hundred (100) of those miles were logged on coastal twisties. For the past 2 decades, I have been going on early morning weekend solo runs through the local mountain and coastal twisties, which range from 50 to 150 miles. And as such, was looking for improved handling for my car. LOL . . . The wife thinks that I am nuts for going alone. However, recently, she refuses to come along because of my agressive driving nature, as she claims . . . Which is fine by me.

In any event, I am more than pleased with the new Tein set-up. My G feels much more sure footed through the twisties. Whereas before, she felt a bit floaty at mid turn and exit, at speed. I was looking for a daily driver set-up, which would still afford for a bunch of fun on the weekends. This set-up fits the bill for myself. The ride quality is excellent compared to what I was expecting. The car tracks much flatter and definitely inspires a bag of confidence, which could be a short fall, if you know what I mean.

For those, whom are looking for an excellent simple and inexpensive coilover set-up, the Tein Basic Coilovers might be what you are looking for.

Edit: Link to pics . . .

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/brakes-suspension/151424-tein-basic-pics.html

4.22.07 update:

Whew! Yesterday, the Nor Cal Group had a very successful and enjoyable 3rd Santa Cruz meet/run. Here's a link of the meet for those whom are interested.

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/northern-california/152687-santa-cruz-iii-meet-run-pics.html

I logged some 167 miles during this particular run . . . And as such had an excellent time and opportunity to evaluate and experience the Tein Baisc coilover set-up under near perfect driving conditions. More than 1/2 of the said miles were driven on 2 lane mountain twisties, which were filled with sharp dive-in/turn & nose-up/turn scenarios.

To set the scene, this particular route, which we took, is a long time favorite/notorious road for sport bike owners seeking their weekend thrills. I was the lead car of the 1st group of 6 - 6 to 8 car groups . . . And as such, I had nothing but clear road, at times, beneath the wide KDW2's.

My car handled soooo precisely through the up & down/round & round curving turns. Steering input was spot on the money. Entering and exiting stance was extremely sure footed and flat, exact steering to tracking relatioship, which was quite welcomed for this particular road. Without question there are better and more costly set-ups. However, for this weekend enthusiast, I cannot imagine my car handling any better than which it is. Aside from upgrading the existing OEM sway bar bushings and endlinks, I am quite a happy camper with my suspension set-up, at this time.

Last edited by Andy2434; 04-22-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Great Review Andy! Glad you like the setup
Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Great Review Andy! Glad you like the setup
Yes, indeedy, Jon . . . Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Brian
Thanks for the review. Did you have the Sport Suspension or the standard G coupe suspension prior to the Tein? I'm wondering how much of an improvement one might see over the Sport suspension package with the Tein Basic Coils.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Andy is dead on with this write up...I've got the same set-up coming from the 06 stock sport suspension to the basic coilovers. Difference is very noticeable and if one were to add swaybars a front and rear strut bar and the gt spec bars, specifically the mid chassis brace, all of which I have the G is literally on rails...I love to take the g to santa cruz on weekedays through Hwy 9 which is a great mountain run with no cars during the week!!!!DOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2434
I have driven on the Tein Basic set-up for some 350 miles. One Hundred (100) of those miles were logged on coastal twisties. For the past 2 decades, I have been going on early morning weekend solo runs through the local mountain and coastal twisties, which range from 50 to 150 miles. And as such, was looking for improved handling for my car. LOL . . . The wife thinks that I am nuts for going alone. However, recently, she refuses to come along because of my agressive driving nature, as she claims . . . Which is fine by me.

In any event, I am more than pleased with the new Tein set-up. My G feels much more sure footed through the twisties. Whereas before, she felt a bit floaty at mid turn and exit, at speed. I was looking for a daily driver set-up, which would still afford for a bunch of fun on the weekends. This set-up fits the bill for myself. The ride quality is excellent compared to what I was expecting. The car tracks much flatter and definitely inspires a bag of confidence, which could be a short fall, if you know what I mean.

For those, whom are looking for an excellent simple and inexpensive coilover set-up, the Tein Basic Coilovers might be what you are looking for.

Edit: Link to pics . . .

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/showthread.php?t=151424

4.22.07 update:

Whew! Yesterday, the Nor Cal Group had a very successful and enjoyable 3rd Santa Cruz meet/run. Here's a link of the meet for those whom are interested.

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/showthread.php?t=152687

I logged some 167 miles during this particular run . . . And as such had an excellent time and opportunity to evaluate and experience the Tein Baisc coilover set-up under near perfect driving conditions. More than 1/2 of the said miles were driven on 2 lane mountain twisties, which were filled with sharp dive-in/turn & nose-up/turn scenarios.

To set the scene, this particular route, which we took, is a long time favorite/notorious road for sport bike owners seeking their weekend thrills. I was the lead car of the 1st group of 6 - 6 to 8 car groups . . . And as such, I had nothing but clear road, at times, beneath the wide KDW2's.

My car handled soooo precisely through the up & down/round & round curving turns. Steering input was spot on the money. Entering and exiting stance was extremely sure footed and flat, exact steering to tracking relatioship, which was quite welcomed for this particular road. Without question there are better and more costly set-ups. However, for this weekend enthusiast, I cannot imagine my car handling any better than which it is. Aside from upgrading the existing OEM sway bar bushings and endlinks, I am quite a happy camper with my suspension set-up, at this time.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthensBlueG
Thanks for the review. Did you have the Sport Suspension or the standard G coupe suspension prior to the Tein? I'm wondering how much of an improvement one might see over the Sport suspension package with the Tein Basic Coils.
I had the sport tuned suspension, which came with the '05 6MT. I had installed new Stillen sway bars shortly after getting the car. The sway bars did help. However, after installing the Tein Basic set-up, the difference was night and day. It's hard to explain in words, but I never imagined that the handling could be improved by such a good margin.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiev37
I love to take the g to santa cruz on weekedays through Hwy 9 which is a great mountain run with no cars during the week!!!!DOMO
You ain't kidding about the Santa Cruz run via the 9. It has to be one of the best twisty runs in the Bay Area. We normally start on Skyline Blvd./35 and head down to the 9.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm close to downtown saratoga so I just go through the old downtown and I am on my way to santa cruz!!!!!