Helmets and Airbags? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Helmets and Airbags?

Helmets and Airbags?

Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Question Helmets and Airbags?

Is wearing a full face helmet and colliding with an airbag dangerous? I am looking for a helmet and am simply curious. Input?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Late last year the SCCA put out this advisory:
Quote:
SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, INC
PO Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400
Fax

Technical Services
Participant Bulletin
DATE: November 16, 2004
TO: All Participants

SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory

It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag.

Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999).

This applies to vehicles that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005 issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at .
Supposedly they have backed off from this position somewhat and are doing more research. I guess there have been some reports of broken jaws from airbag deployment with full-face helmets. It seems a bit counterintuitive, but apparently open-face helmets allow the airbag to sort of wrap around the face, diffusing the blow somewhat, while the lower part of a full-face helmet can be driven back and concentrate enough force on the chin to break the jaw .
Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Yikes. I guess I will get an open face for the track. Thanks for the information!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:58 PM
I had my Bell M2 before I heard anything about this, so for now I'll continue to wear it and laugh in the face of danger . I guess I'd better keep it out of the wall or I might be drinking my meals through a straw for a while...
Old 03-12-2005, 06:26 PM
I replaced the steering wheel on my track car years ago.
I never liked the idea of an explosive device setting off the airbag with such force as to cause broken wrists, nose and causing damage to eyeglass wearers.