NEED ADVICE on Window Tint - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • NEED ADVICE on Window Tint

NEED ADVICE on Window Tint

Old 05-03-2007, 06:13 PM
NEED ADVICE on Window Tint

Hey folks.

I'm going to tint my new Graphite/Graphite G35 sedan. I've never had a car tinted before.

Can anyone give me some pointers of things to watch out for? I've seen cars with warped / peeling tints, and I'd like some ideas of how to figure out if the company is high quality.

Also, how much would you expect to spend. $200?

I do not have Navigation (which I hear impacts the quality/type of the film needed)

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
check to see a)what type of tint they use b) if they have warranty on bubbling and discoloring and c)i paid $110 for mine with life time warranty. because of the warranty i dont mind that fact that they used a not-so-well-known-film. where are you from? ask your regional forum on which shops are good.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Thumbs up tints

I've tinted every car i've ever had and it really does help with the heat and it some cases the UV fading the interior.

First of all make sure you go to a place with a lifetime warranty. I'm in CA. and there are a number of places like that around here. I presume it's the same everywhere.

Second, I would recommend a film that has some sort of metal base to it; one it will resist fading and turning purple and two it will look good with the Graphite car. The downside is it can interfere with the radio antennae in the rear window, although mostly only with the AM channels.

Third, make sure you look know what kind of outcome you're looking for. If you want a racing look, get a dark all around. If you want a classy look, go with a dark in the back and get progressively lighter to the front. Remember, as you tint the windows the inside of the car gets progressively darker!!! So a lighter tint might work for some people. I have medium all around on my coupe and you can't see into it at night. You can lightly see into it during the day though.

Lastly, make sure you get the place to take the tint all the wat to the edge of the window. I can't stand that cheap look when you see a window and there is a 1/4in clear gap at the edge where they cut the tint. Don't worry about the peel, if it does, just refer to point #1 above. I wouldn't step into a place without a lifetime warranty.

My coupe costed about $160, so I presume a sedan should run about $180 or so. Also make sure they offer to take off the front windows for free in the event you get a fix-it ticket (has happened before) AARRRGG! Most places will do this for free.

Hope that help...you'll love the difference and think, "HOW the He77 did I go without this before"...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrane
check to see a)what type of tint they use b) if they have warranty on bubbling and discoloring and c)i paid $110 for mine with life time warranty. because of the warranty i dont mind that fact that they used a not-so-well-known-film. where are you from? ask your regional forum on which shops are good.
Ok, thats good to know. My local (Austin) Infiniti dealer is quoting $250 for the tint job!!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonas
I've tinted every car i've ever had and it really does help with the heat and it some cases the UV fading the interior.

Hope that help...you'll love the difference and think, "HOW the He77 did I go without this before"...
That's great advice, thanks. I'm in Austin, Texas. Local dealer quoting too high IMO. $245. Will check around some more.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdupuy
That's great advice, thanks. I'm in Austin, Texas. Local dealer quoting too high IMO. $245. Will check around some more.
Mdupuy

There are a few nice tint shops in Austin.
I've done work at Mother's window tint - its close to 35 and 183.

There is also a SunTek installer in austin - they do a good job as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:36 PM
i paid 300... but i had the windshield tinted as well...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Yippi-kay-yay motherf*ckr
Hey. I got my windows tinted a few weeks ago: 15% all around, $180. I really like it. I'm in Northern Cali. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
NEED ADVICE on Window Tint-me2-021.jpg NEED ADVICE on Window Tint-me2-028.jpg NEED ADVICE on Window Tint-me2-029.jpg NEED ADVICE on Window Tint-me2-036.jpg
Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
There are pros/cons between dye based, metallic, and ceramic tints. Do a search and you will learn quite a bit about the differences.

One last thing ... do not let them take your car apart (or let them even THINK about doing so) to get the tint on. It is not necessary.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the posts. Max2k1, I've heard of Mothers. Will check them out. Seems like the deals are about $180 - 200 for Carbon based or a hybrid, guaranteed no fade, lifetime warranty.