Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve

Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve

Old 07-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve

Does anyone have an AEM (or any other brand) bypass valve on their cold air intakes? For those who do not know what it is, it is a bypass filter that you attach to cold air intakes so that water and other stuff do not get into the intake and up into the throttle body. It's meant for mostly to prevent water from going in. However, I hear on other forums that since the bypass filter is basically a sponge, that it too could get sucked in and actually be the cause of damage. Anyone have any experience with these? Do our cars REALLY need it since we have a bottom plastic cover in front of the wheels, where the intake filter sits? Thanks in advance.

It's still a G thang!!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Re: Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve

In all honesty, I have yet to SEE a car with damage due to severe rain or such. However, I have heard those internet horror stories. In my opinion, I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you drive in like a 2-3 ft. deep puddle of some sort (which I wouldn't even begin to ask why). I think the only company that has a bypass on their cold-air is AEM (they patent their design). Nismo has a bypass on theirs too but from what I hear it is just a rebadged AEM intake. In my case, I run an Injen CAI but then again I live in California so we don't get any harsh rains of that sort. Hope this helps and sorry I couldn't answer the question about the bypass acting as a sponge (I have never heard of this).

Old 07-22-2003, 04:30 AM

You will not hydrolock an engine with a CAI unless you submerge the intake in water. SUBMERGE people.....I'm talking about driving through deep water. This is straight from Comptech & AEM.

Dan Parmelee
2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan
1999 Acura Integra GS-R coupe
2001 Infiniti I30t
Old 07-22-2003, 09:27 AM

i just wanna say that rumble u have the best sigs.

Ordered: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT * Diamond Graphite * Graphite Leather * Premium Package
Old 07-22-2003, 11:44 AM

TheG35Guy > If AEM says "submerge" then why do they create the bypass valve? An item for the sake of it, just to make money?

ImportFreak > haha!! Thanks...i was bored. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's still a G thang!!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:28 PM

True story...

I had Place Racing's CAI on my '98 Maxima SE. It was very similar to Injen's design. The air filter was located behind the lower grill/front facia on the driver's side. The bottom of the filter was about 12" off of the pavement.

That said, I drove from San Antonio to Houston, Texas during one of their worst rain storms. I-10 was shut down for almost 24 hours. When re-opened, there was still 6" of water flowing across the interstate.

I sucked wind all they way, but had no problems.

During the same storm, my friend Russell hydro-locked his Maxima's engine through the stock air intake system. That design was real similiar to the G35's. He sent me a picture of him holding one connecting rod that was bent 60 degrees! Unfortunately, I can't find it.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:17 PM

i have a aem cai with no bypass valve on my prelude, droped 1 1/2 inches its really low...etc etc...watch where u are driving...don't drive into rivers, lakes, ponds, oceans u know the typical driving areas, i had it on for 5 years, no worries....

Old 07-23-2003, 12:32 PM

Cool...I don't think I mentioned that I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada though. By the time the winter comes, I would be cleaning the filter and try come up with a short ram intake and leave the CAI for summers only. Any thoughts on that?

It's still a G thang!!
Old 07-23-2003, 11:19 PM

better safe than sorry, just make shure you don't cheap on the filter