Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 2008 G35x overheating

2008 G35x overheating

Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 AM
2008 G35x overheating

Symptoms:

Overheating when driving only not when idle. Does not get all the way to the H, but the thick line before it.
was told there were no leaks
Did not smoke / steam when it was overheating
heat still works and brings it down to just a little above normal when heat is on full blast and highest it can go (90)
no coolant smells
no check engine light
still drives the same the last time I drove it. I drove it to a shop about 10-12 mins from my house, It did not overheat. The shop sit and let it run idle. As soon as I drove off it started over heating. I was told ot was a thermostat due to one hose being cold and other hot. However later I found out this shop has bad reviews on google so now Im nervous. Does this sound like a thermostat issue to you all?

Last edited by LadyG35x; 02-08-2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Adding something
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyG35x View Post
Symptoms:

Overheating when driving only not when idle. Does not get all the way to the H, but the thick line before it.
was told there were no leaks
Did not smoke / steam when it was overheating
heat still works and brings it down to just a little above normal when heat is on full blast and highest it can go (90)
no coolant smells
no check engine light
still drives the same the last time I drove it. I drove it to a shop about 10-12 mins from my house, It did not overheat. The shop sit and let it run idle. As soon as I drove off it started over heating. I was told ot was a thermostat due to one hose being cold and other hot. However later I found out this shop has bad reviews on google so now Im nervous. Does this sound like a thermostat issue to you all?
LadyG35X

Here is my $.02

My advice to you is make an appointment at your local Infiniti dealer and request a loaner vehicle.

Even before you make a service appointment visit the sales department and drive a new vehicle that comes with all new parts and a warranty. Get a price and inquire what they will give you on a trade in. Don't mention the overheating problems.

Suppose the repair totals $1000.00 Spending that amount of money on a ten year old vehicle is not going to make it worth more if something else fails a month later.

Yes the dealer repair labor rate may be higher than local shops but you've got a better chance of getting your vehicle fixed properly.

You may need a thermostat, a new radiator cap, possibly a new water pump, coolant flush, new radiator hoses, and even possibly a new radiator if your is clogged.

You didn't mention the mileage on your vehicle

See page CO-03

If you don't have a significant other who knows about vehicle repairs you need to be very very careful on which shops you can trust.

Driving a new vehicle with a warranty is much safer for a female that knows little about vehicle repairs

Good luck to you

Telcoman
Old 02-08-2018, 09:57 AM
's Avatar
Cleric670
It can be a lot cheaper in the long run as well since repairs can quickly exceed $1k and that's about 5% of the cost of a new vehicle for a repair of a SINGLE issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM
's Avatar
Cleric670
You should wait till the engine is cold and remove the radiator cap to verify it's NOT just low on coolant. Don't just assume that the reservoir being full means it has coolant. The thermostat is a common point of failure on every vehicle so it is definitely possible it is failing.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
LadyG35X

Here is my $.02

My advice to you is make an appointment at your local Infiniti dealer and request a loaner vehicle.

Even before you make a service appointment visit the sales department and drive a new vehicle that comes with all new parts and a warranty. Get a price and inquire what they will give you on a trade in. Don't mention the overheating problems.

Suppose the repair totals $1000.00 Spending that amount of money on a ten year old vehicle is not going to make it worth more if something else fails a month later.

Yes the dealer repair labor rate may be higher than local shops but you've got a better chance of getting your vehicle fixed properly.

You may need a thermostat, a new radiator cap, possibly a new water pump, coolant flush, new radiator hoses, and even possibly a new radiator if your is clogged.

You didn't mention the mileage on your vehicle

See page CO-03

If you don't have a significant other who knows about vehicle repairs you need to be very very careful on which shops you can trust.

Driving a new vehicle with a warranty is much safer for a female that knows little about vehicle repairs

Good luck to you

Telcoman

Thank you so much! I couldn't wait anymore (been without my car since Fri) I took it into some place else, they said the same thing about the thermostat. I got replaced and a system bleed and it seems fine now.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You should wait till the engine is cold and remove the radiator cap to verify it's NOT just low on coolant. Don't just assume that the reservoir being full means it has coolant. The thermostat is a common point of failure on every vehicle so it is definitely possible it is failing.

Thank you...! I couldn't wait anymore (been without my car since Fri) I took it into some place else, they said the same thing about the thermostat. I got replaced and a system bleed and it seems fine now.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Awesome, glad you're up and running again.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Awesome, glad you're up and running again.

Thank you!