Clunking Noise From Right Rear - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Clunking Noise From Right Rear

Clunking Noise From Right Rear

Old 05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Clunking Noise From Right Rear

Hi All -

I just had some new tires install all around. When I got the car back, I get a weird clunking noise from the right rear. Sounds like the wheel was loose so I pulled over and tighten the lugs. They were all tight. It also sound like a spring is rubbing something so I jacked up the car, took the wheel off and inspect it. No luck.

Please, can someone help me out with this issue. Thanks

Info:
05 G35 coupe lowered with Tein springs.
19' volk rims, 28k miles on car so bushing are still good.
Car never had this issue until tires were installed.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 AM
i have the same issue. Couldn't find the problem. Its not the springs or the spring mounts nor is the tire hitting or rubbing and the wheels are tight.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 AM
yes, I checked everything, from springs, to mounts, lugs, etc. However I do noticed the lugs needs to be tighten after each drive while the other 3 wheels doesnt need to be. So weird?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Check your wheel bearing. I just had mine go out it will start to sound like a wind tunnel in a few days. Just jack the car up take off the ebrake and put it in gear. If it shakes or wobbles thats your issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
ok, heres what I've done so far.

got 2 wheel alignments. (noise still there)
check all bolts, spring, bearings (noise still there)
put stock 18" wheel back on..... (NOISE gone)

what can this be.

NOTE: guys at firestone rebalanced the tire too. Checked th etires for defect but coulnt find any.

I'm stuck????
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
GarGamel,

Prior to changing your tires, what tire brand/model and size were you running?
I'd also like to know:
Are you running a camber kit?
Did you also get an alignment done?
What are your alignment specs?

I'm going to assume that when you changed to new tires, you switched tire brand/model and maybe even changed the tire size a bit? Is the clunking there all the time, or occasionally only?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM
not running any camber kits,
i was running Toyo tires, new tires are bridgestone potenza

only the right rear makes the noise over bumps.
size of tire is 275/35/19

put the stock rim back on the rear right and noise goes away completely
Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM
GarGamel,

I have a feeling you might be rubbing the rear fender.

Even though the tire size may be the same size as your previous tires, it's possible that the new tire might be slightly thicker along the sidewall, which results in your car rubbing the inner rear fender when going over bumps?

When you physically look at your passenger side rear tire clearance between the fender, it must look so close that if you imagined the suspension compressing a lot more due to bumps or imperfections in the road, then that's probably it... tire hitting or grazing the fender.

This is my guess, as you said the noise goes away completely with your stock rims and tires and you checked all other possibilities.

FYI:
My passenger side rear also rubs when going over bumps and dips and in the road.

I recently lowered my car with Springs and I did notice that the passenger side (front and rear) somehow, isn't the same as the driver's side (front and rear) when it comes to the perfect amount of clearance if you physically look and compare the two sides.

My alignment specs. are dead even for both sides, but I still can't explain why the driver's side has slightly more negative camber when you physically look at it (therefore, doesn't rub) and compare it to the passenger side (which rubs).

I'm thinking of doing one of the three options:
1. Remove Spacers (sell them, and maybe get smaller ones)
2. Roll Rear Fender
3. Add more negative camber (will kill tires faster, so this option would be the most costly)
Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
L23Tan,

thanks for all your tips. however, i'm not running spacers nor or the fenders rolled. I know for sure its not rubbing because its a metal sound not rubber.
I think if it would rub it would rub the left side too. I talked to my Infinti mechanic and he thinks the shop who installed my tires, either crack the rim during install or loosen it up since its a 3 piece rims. He might be right cuz it sounds like it comes from the rim.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
thx to everyone who gave me some suggestions.
problem is SOLVED. it was an extra ring that the guy who installed my tires left on the rim.
instead of have only one ring, he put two.
(its the ring that comes with the rims)

finally, back to normal
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Glad to see everything is okay now!

Cheers!