High power build on a 5at X? Or sell? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • High power build on a 5at X? Or sell?

High power build on a 5at X? Or sell?

Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM
High power build on a 5at X? Or sell?

So I have a 2008 G35x 5at. I've been doing a lot of research, and have plans in the future to throw all my money at my G and get some serious power. I'm getting a good idea of what I need to make a safe and reliable build, but I'm just now realizing that all these great builds are rarely done on an 5at, and definitely not on a AWD. I've only read of one 500+ hp build on an all wheel drive.

So question is: if I have big plans, should I ditch this car? I've put a couple thousand into the car with an exhaust, an intake and things like that and some aftermarket body parts. I've prepared everything to paint the car in the spring, so I've also put money into that. I was planning on saving up for a couple of years and then start by building the engine. Should I save my money, sell the car, and then buy a G with rwd and possibly the 6mt? Or can I get a good 500+ build on my car?

Any info would be appreciated, especially those with a v36 X 5at

Last edited by Abel Banko; 01-15-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 PM
im 07 rwd 5at, and i see we are on the same boat kind of, this is my first car so im personally holding onto it to put some power into it. you can always get a cheap car and use it as a daily and use your G as a fun car !
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snguyen10123 View Post
im 07 rwd 5at, and i see we are on the same boat kind of, this is my first car so im personally holding onto it to put some power into it. you can always get a cheap car and use it as a daily and use your G as a fun car !
This is my second, but I've grown attached. I wanna go all out with this, but don't my transfer case to break apart or something haha. Right now I'm just saving, I don't have the money to build the engine yet (which I want to do first). Good luck!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
The jatco transmission/transfer case can be built to handle the load but stock I wouldn't go over 400whp because it's just going to start burning up the clutch plates. It's a solid transmission though and you don't really need to upgrade anything beyond the friction plates/brake sleeves and DEFINITELY upgrade the fluid cooler. The biggest item will be the overall cost since 6MT folks don't have to upgrade the transmission and clutches are reasonably priced.

Of course this is entirely dependent of what your actual power plans are, if you're thinking 30+psi and 800+whp it's going to take a lot of work to get that Jatco up to snuff but if you're going with a reasonable ~400whp from a standard SC/TC kit then it can easily be built to handle that load.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:19 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Something of note however, if you are trying to make some SERIOUS awd power I suggest you get out of the G35 and into an EVO 8/9. The 4G63T can be built to 600+whp for much cheaper than most other vehicles plus it has the added benefit of AWD with a manual transmission and all other components like suspension/brakes/etc are VERY solid items straight from the factory.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The jatco transmission/transfer case can be built to handle the load but stock I wouldn't go over 400whp because it's just going to start burning up the clutch plates. It's a solid transmission though and you don't really need to upgrade anything beyond the friction plates/brake sleeves and DEFINITELY upgrade the fluid cooler. The biggest item will be the overall cost since 6MT folks don't have to upgrade the transmission and clutches are reasonably priced.

Of course this is entirely dependent of what your actual power plans are, if you're thinking 30+psi and 800+whp it's going to take a lot of work to get that Jatco up to snuff but if you're going with a reasonable ~400whp from a standard SC/TC kit then it can easily be built to handle that load.
This is exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for. I don't think I'd run that high, but 6-650 eventually. From what you're saying, it's possible if I upgrade the plates, sleeves, etc? But I won't have to do an entire tranny switch?

I've considered switching platforms, but I don't really have a desire for AWD, the X is just what I got, which is why I'm considering getting a g35s or something. But I've grown attached to the G platform.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:15 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
If 600-650 is your plan I would not build an X. You're going to have problems getting the transfer case to hold that much power. However you can always build what you have and when you start to exceed the 450 mark buy a different G and swap everything over.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
I absolutely love my G, its gonna be 11 years old in a month or two, would I like more power? of course! ( that's why a 2018 Mustang GT has been ordered) all I have done Is lower it, and have summer tires and wheels, and some tasteful cosmetic mods. I would be to afraid to screw it up with lots of mods that affected its super good drivability! It's quite poss the best car I will ever own!!
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton3.5 View Post
I absolutely love my G, its gonna be 11 years old in a month or two, would I like more power? of course! ( that's why a 2018 Mustang GT has been ordered) all I have done Is lower it, and have summer tires and wheels, and some tasteful cosmetic mods. I would be to afraid to screw it up with lots of mods that affected its super good drivability! It's quite poss the best car I will ever own!!
I'm with you, but it's just too fun to work on it, and there are a lot of good builds. Just not on the awd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abel Banko For This Useful Post:
Triton3.5 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 02:31 AM
's Avatar
Cleric670
I've never really been a fan of high power AWD because I hate torque steering, a RWD just feels so much more stable and predictable to me. A buddy of mine has an 850whp Evo 9 and it looks like a nightmare to keep straight but another buddies built Camaro makes the same power and is very predictable on launch and cornering.

The only thing AWD is good for under 1k whp is better traction in rain/snow, on the track it doesn't matter since the game is all about using the right tires. City driving it doesn't make one bit of difference since you should be responsible enough to not drive like a jackass anyways and if you absolutely feel the need to have more grip than summer tires allows you can always run DOT approved street slicks.
Old Today, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've never really been a fan of high power AWD because I hate torque steering, a RWD just feels so much more stable and predictable to me. A buddy of mine has an 850whp Evo 9 and it looks like a nightmare to keep straight but another buddies built Camaro makes the same power and is very predictable on launch and cornering.

The only thing AWD is good for under 1k whp is better traction in rain/snow, on the track it doesn't matter since the game is all about using the right tires. City driving it doesn't make one bit of difference since you should be responsible enough to not drive like a jackass anyways and if you absolutely feel the need to have more grip than summer tires allows you can always run DOT approved street slicks.
I feel you. That's why I'm considering getting the g35s and starting over, so I can get both the rwd and manual tranny. I'm put a lot into this one, though, I'm about to paint, and it's a great car.

http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/media-s...35x-build.html

^that build is the only awd tt I've seen but I don't know if it's lasting or not. Seems like it went well.