2008 g35x radiator leaking transmission fluid! - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 2008 g35x radiator leaking transmission fluid!

2008 g35x radiator leaking transmission fluid!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
2008 g35x radiator leaking transmission fluid!

I own a 2008 G35XS and recently notice a slight smell coming from the front of my car. It didn't smell sweet so it wasn't coolant. I looked under the car and noticed a wet spot on the plastic cover. I immediately brought it to a local garage and sure enough I have a slight leak in the radiator that's leaking transmission fluid!
Has anyone else had this issue? Also, I'm worried that coolant has mixed in with my transmission fluid and will damage my transmission..? I caught it very early on and it wont be driven until i get the new radiator in (hopefully by Friday). Anyone else been through this yet??? What was the outcome?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 AM
First of all, are they positive that it is truly fluid from the transmission, and not possibly just power steering fluid? Also, just because the tranny fluid may be leaking around the radiator does not automatically mean that coolant has mixed with tranny fluid. Unless they have clear and compelling evidence to suspect so, that sounds like a great scare tactic to drum up some extra work in the form of a tranny service too (have they even bothered to perform a pressure test on the coolant system?). There are hydraulic lines that connect the tranny and the radiator which could be the source of a leakage. Leakage from adjacent PS lines can transport fluid around in a surprising manner. Additionally, the reservoir where the tranny fluid resides within the radiator could have a breach to the outside, while still being completely isolated from the adjacent coolant reservoirs.

Now,all that being said, I almost hate to share this thread link with you because it is by far the most bizarre and unusual occurance I have heard of here (but it literally JUST came up). So please, take it with a measured consideration of the context; specifically speaking, its rarity.
http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/v36-eng...ml#post6643389

Last edited by vqsmile; 12-05-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Do you still have the power train warranty?

Nissan had issues with the pathfinders and frontiers a few years back where the radiator was corroding and the coolant was mixing with the tranny fluid. We had our transmission and radiator replaced under warranty last year on our 2005 pathfinder. Fortunately it was covered under an extended warranty on the radiator that was the result of a class action lawsuit.

If there was damage to the tranny, you would probably know it. The tranny in the v36 and 2005 - 2012 pathfinder are identical. I can tell you that the tell tale sign that the fluid had mixed on the pathfinder was a complaint of running over rumble strips feeling at highway speeds. There is also a way to check the fluid to determine if its mixed, at least according to nissan's diagnostic procedures.

If it has been caught early, why not exchange the tranny fluid now to be safe?

Last edited by jkat13; 12-05-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Unfortunately I am at 88k miles and past the warranty. There are no signs of coolant in the reservoir tank and the transmission fluid has been looked at 3 times in the last month (by "professional s") and no one has said anything about mixture of fluids. They thought at first it was the lines (and they actually order them) but the manager had some second thoughts after the tech said it was the lines (he rushed through his inspection of the car). They put it back on the lift, took the cover off, and sure enough there was a thin layer of transmission fluid on the housing that holds the radiator in place. They didn't pressure test the radiator but since its not the lines from the transmission to the radiator im guessing it has to be internal. They didn't bring up the coolant mixing with the tranny fluid thats just a concern of my own. Regardless if its the tranny fluid or power steering fluid a new radiator would rectify the situation... correct?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 AM
They cleaned the lines and let it run. No leak was coming from the lines at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 AM
No signs of tranny fluid in the resivoir tank*
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 AM
First off, a pressure test of the coolant system should indicate whether has been any potential for coolant mixing. If there is some way for coolant to escape and mix with tranny fluid, then it should show up under a pressure test. If I am understanding you correctly, the fluid is still being observed as a surface film on the outside of the radiator, but did they ever clean it off 100% and then run the car and look for where the leak actually emerged? Why do you say "Regardless if its the tranny fluid or power steering fluid a new radiator would rectify the situation... correct? ", I am puzzled again as to whether or not the true nature of the leak has be determined yet. Replacing the radiator WILL NOT fix a power steering leak, and that's an awfully big shotgun approach to the problem if you ask me. They can put dye in the PS fluid and determine very quickly if it's coming from the tranny or not. A power steering pressure line can spring a tiny pinhole leak and squirt fluid in a tiny jet stream a good distance away from where the leak is actually occurring. The last PS hose I changed was spraying clear across the engine bay and soaking an area that was nowhere near the hose. I still may very well be that your radiator is leaking, but they should be able to be 100% sure before they spend any more of your money. If it were my car, I should want to see it to be seen directly with there own eyes while it is erupting from the source. Looking for wetness after the fact is not the same. And a caution if you try and do it yourself: always wear eye protection when looking for a hydraulic leak. Power steering hoses are notorious for unexpected spraying in the face.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I said that because I would think if it were leaking power steering fluid it would be coming out of or near the power steering cooler on the radiator. I'll check the power steering reservoir to see if it has dropped any. That should be a clear indication if it is the power steering. The hoses were cleaned and didn't show any leaking. They brought me in the garage and showed me the fluid leaking on the housing but I couldn't see the actual leak because of the housing being in the way..
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Okay upon further inspection today i have ruled out its power steering. The level is exactly the same as it has been since i bought the car. I took the top cover off where the bumper clips are and I see were it is leaking but the leak is still not visible. Its leaking on the driver side lower part of the radiator. I'm pretty sure its the radiator now. I also checked the coolant cap and no signs of any other fluid in there. Also the reservoir has no discoloration. I called the garage where I'm having the work done and they assured me that no mixture of fluids has happened yet. I ordered my radiator off Orderinfinitiparts.com and it should be shipping today. My garage is maybe a mile away and the car wont be driven until the part comes in. I'm considering this a close call... If i didn't catch this early on I think i might have had to replace a lot more than the radiator.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Sounds like the radiator ought to fix it then.