Diagnosis Fees on Powertrain Warranties - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Diagnosis Fees on Powertrain Warranties

Diagnosis Fees on Powertrain Warranties

Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Diagnosis Fees on Powertrain Warranties

Here's the story..

My 2008 with 62,000 miles G35 car was having issue with DS mode; it won't shift or throw me back to D. It only happened about 3-4 times, so not a consistence issue. But I know if I don't get it fix now, eventually DS will be useless. Since I have 62,000 miles, so factory warranty is gone but still some room left for power-train warranty.

After some research, seems like I have a bad "automatic transmission control module and/or electronic transmission controls". So I went to Elk Grove Infiniti and explain the issue with the service guy. He agrees that my car might have the issues listed above. In the beginning, the first service adviser told me that issue is NOT covered under the power-train warranty. I told him I've read the power-train warranty manual, automatic transmission control module and electronic transmission controls are listed under the power-train warranty, but he said nope. I then talked to a different service adviser, he said that it does cover by the power-train warranty if that is the cause.

However, he said in order for my car to be covered under the power-train warranty, I need to pay the diagnosis fees $120 upfront. Also, from what he saying is 1) they have to be able to duplicate the same issue, or 2) shifting has to be completely malfunction due to this issue, to be covered.

For those who have dealt with power-train warranties before..

1) Do I need to pay fees upfront?
2) Would I get it refunded if they confirmed the issue is covered under the power-train warranty?
3) Does my transmission needs to be broken before they can fix it?
4) Last, if they determined there's no issue now and later on it happens again in worse shape after 70,000 miles, would I be able to re-claim under the same issue while the car was still under power-train warranty?

Thanks guy!

Last edited by TotalledCL; 05-30-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 AM
One item I can help with, a bit. My in-laws had a Lexus out of original warranty but in the powertrain warranty period. The car had a pool of oil under it and was towed to the Lexus dealer. They were told that if the problem was part of the powertrain there would be no fee; if it was not, there would be a $130 diagnostic fee on top of any repairs. Fortunately after inspection, the dealer agreed the repair was covered - I think it was an oil line.

I also wonder if it would be worthwhile taking it to another dealer. I really don't like that the first advisor either lied or is an idiot and that they want the fee upfront when transmission issues should be covered.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
First, if possible, immediately find a new dealer.
I would never pay any amount upfront for suspected warranty work.

If you don't have another Infiniti dealer within a reasonable distance then tell them that if it ends up not being covered by warranty you will gladly pay for the diagnosis but not until then.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
thanks. actually great advise. I have been looking thru the warranty fine prints, it said nothing about pre-paid fees for any diagnostic chk. I wish they do so I can just point it out and say "hey here it said otherwise"
Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Premier Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesg35 View Post
They were told that if the problem was part of the powertrain there would be no fee; if it was not, there would be a $130 diagnostic fee on top of any repairs.
This. However the fee depends on the dealer, some places will just say sorry its not covered would you like us to fix it for X amount of $$, others will be dicks about it and jab you for $100-200
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Go to Sacramento Infiniti if Elk Grove is dropping the ball...that being I've never had issues with them because I don't usually get my car serviced there. The while fee thing is fishy and the fact that one advisor is a liar/idiot would have made me choose another dealer.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Infiniti of Nashville, just a stone's throw from Nissan US headquarters, follows the policy of you have to pay for a diagnosis if they look at it and it is not covered under warranty. I called Nissan corporate to complain and they told me, nicely, that was up to each dealer. They did offer to reimburse me the money if the dealership ended up charging me for it.

The real problem was I just wanted them to do the software update for hesitation. I had the TSB for it but they said they had to "diagnose it" first or I would have to pay for it. And if the software update wasn't their diagnosis I would have to pay a diagnosis fee.

I was so frustrated with the Infiniti delearship experience I just gave up on it. This is one of the reasons I am probably going back to BMW after this. Even though the BMW dealerships screw you out of warranty, they are very nice while under warranty in my experience. Infinit dealerships are all different. Second closest dealer to me is in Louisville KY and they are opposite...super nice and helpful. If I lived closer to them I might get another Infiniti.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 AM
I just annoyed that if the car is still under "warranty", shouldn't it be covered? Bumper to bumper, power-train, still part of the warranties that are being covered by Nissan. Then why I need to pay anything when it's under power-train but not bumper to bumper. It just annoys me.