Infiniti G35x versus Audi S4 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Infiniti G35x versus Audi S4

Infiniti G35x versus Audi S4

Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Infiniti G35x versus Audi S4

Hey everyone, new to the forum, but I wanted to continue a conversation from another thread about the differences and similarities between the Infiniti G35/37x and the Audi S4. Breifly, here is my stance on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger355 View Post
I'll briefly respond about my post and then if people would like to continue the conversation, I'll start a new thread. I bought my G35x last year for 19k with 42k miles as a DD. I was thinking about getting a 2009+ S4 or S5 (price range about 35-40k...so you can figure that I'm basically looking to double my payments) to replace it because I'd like to have another car to bring to car meets (I have a 2008 Viper, but it's a little rough on those long cruises....and I do A LOT of them). So, I drove a 2012 S4 and found it a little underwhelming for what I was expecting. What is better? Sure, the interior quality and technology were more impressive, but I found that there was noticeably less interior space than the G and the adaptive electronic steering was down right scary on the twisties. I never knew what steering ratio I was dealing with. Now, I know that I probably would get used to it, but still it made for a weird introduction. Moreover, I found that the acceleration was brisk, but not appreciably faster than my current car. So, while I can't directly compare the new $48k Audi S4 that I drove with my $19k Infiniti G35x, I think I can reasonably account for the differences both in quality, price, and the driving experience. I just don't think the S4 is worth it.

Final corrections (although I'm really not trying to come as an ***....lol....): 1) the B8 S4 doesn't compete with the M3 and C63 anymore. It's more akin to our cars (or the G37) and the BMW 335i. 2) The B8 S4s are supercharged not turbocharged (even though they still say "TFSI").

blnewt....I think I might do what you did and just trade in the '07 and get a '09. Seems like that's the way I'm leaning, especially looking at this forum and all the sweet mods I can do. Again, sorry OP to continue the alligator death roll of a threadjack. My apologies.
Thoughts!?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with much of what you wrote, but I just feel the S4 is more of a car overall. The 'feel' of the car (handling, ergonomics, and mainly overall fit and finish is what I'm referring to).

I realize the performance is similar -- ie, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. So if someone likes the way both cars look and merely want the best bang for their buck, the G35x would be the way to go.

But if someone has an extra 10 grand to dish out for (IMO) a better overall car, then they will NOT be disappointed in their money spent. I owned a 2004 S4 manual trans, and let me tell you, I'd rather be driving that thing than my 2008 x, which I actually like very much. (I sold the S4 for some unknown reason a few years back )

Infiniti < Audi

With that said, I really do enjoy driving my X around, and like I said before, the overall amount of gadgets/luxury/speed you get for your money with these cars is almost unmatchable in the same market.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
-MN G Crew-

I wanted a V8 S4 after my 05 G, but after driving a few of them, i was hugely unimpressed. I wanted one of those things so damn bad. All I did was research them. The car just wasn't that fast for a V8 (my 08 G 6MT feels like it would suck the headlights out), sucked gas like a Hummer, and had just as many squeaks and rattles. Not to mention the fact that the repair bills were... yea. We wont mention that.

Ended up with my current 08 G. Never been happier.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
its way too underpowered for a v8. it will kill you with gas and its no fun. get a rwd sport G sedan
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Way too underpowered for a V8? That's not a very good excuse, considering they are still more powerful than our cars haha.

It (the S4) will kill you with gas? Nope, not unless you think our G35's do the same. My 2008 X is getting 1-3 MPG better than my 2004 S4 got. Both take premium fuel, so I wouldn't call that difference large enough to use the statement, "it will kill you on gas."

No fun? I would disagree to the end of the age on this one. My S4 was just as much fun, if not more fun because of the higher quality, than my Infiniti.

Basically, it all boils down to what you're in to. Honestly I wish I would have never sold my S4. But I did, and now not having enough money to buy another one, I researched and went with the G35x, which I actually like a decent amount despite defending the S4.

I realize on this forum you're not gonna find too many people who will say "yes, the S4 is sooooooo much better, yes the S4 is legit and is just so awesome!!!" But let's be real here guys, any objective person in this argument will go with the S4. Do you really think that if, say, Car and Driver, tested the 2008 S4 against the 2008 G35x, the G35 would prevail as the overall winner in driveability and driving manners? The answer is no....for sure....like, 100% for sure. BUT, the G35's do come close in so many ways, and cost approximately 10 grand less.....something that is very respectable for Infiniti, and hence the reason I have one of these cars
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
if you have an 08 viper then how much do you expect the audi to thrill you more than the G? Of course its going to be underwhelming. The way I see it if the viper is the toy then your other car just needs to be a nice daily driver that is comfortable, still pretty sporty and good looking. The G should handle that well enough for you. I think you would be a little happier with an S4 but I don't know if you will feel you got your moneys worth from such a small change (compared to a viper). Personally I always thought the best combination to have is to have a great weekend beast (viper in your case), comfortable cruiser (you already have the G sedan) and something like a nice pickup or SUV for some off road fun or hauling something. So do you really want an S4 or do you just want a change? If you just want a change why not add something completely different as a 3rd car?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM
This is a difficult comparison, as the S4 is an upper class model and the G35x should really only be compared to 6 cyl A4. So just the fact that a "normal" infiniti model is compared and faster than a higher end S4 is already a loss in the same years (07-08).

Based on the forum you posted in I assume your looking at an 07-08 G35x but what range S4 are you considering? I assume based on prices somewhere 05-08 and the newer S4's (09-up I believe) should only be compared to G37xS (or whatever the top AWD model is...?)

Overall the G35x is a nice all around car IMO but If you don't mind spending more and want AWD consider a RS4 or a 335xi for AWD 4 door sports cars that are faster than the S4 and the G35/37x. I believe the RS4 is only marginally faster and about the same as the top infiniti RWD in the same model years. If you are looking to mod then the 335 is quite a bit faster than all these cars and can be modded to M3 speed cheaply.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Your right the S4 are now compared with the 335i's. They are fast cars but your infiniti is better bang for the buck. If money is not a issue then a RS4 or a M3 would probably fit the bill.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Had an 04 S4, 6spd, nagoro blue,, w/blue alcantera seats,,, the recaros were perfect seats, NOT as good on fuel as the G, Just as HEAVEY as the X cars,,, maybe slightly more!! Didn't like the 50/50 power dist. that Audi had back then, compared to the 100% rear wheel dist. on G's My Infiniti was quicker at the track, ( drag) but not as fast 155mph to 130 for the G. the G is much more fun to drive imo,, especially in the snow!! def. will NOT go back to Audi for anything in the future...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:59 AM
-MN G Crew-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton3.5 View Post
Had an 04 S4, 6spd, nagoro blue,, w/blue alcantera seats,,, the recaros were perfect seats, NOT as good on fuel as the G, Just as HEAVEY as the X cars,,, maybe slightly more!! Didn't like the 50/50 power dist. that Audi had back then, compared to the 100% rear wheel dist. on G's My Infiniti was quicker at the track, ( drag) but not as fast 155mph to 130 for the G. the G is much more fun to drive imo,, especially in the snow!! def. will NOT go back to Audi for anything in the future...
If you have a non X, that pesky 130mph limiter doesn't affect you.

BTW when are you going to join the Mn G Crew?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I know,,, i am such a putz,,, like today i'm gettin motorcycle out,, not concentrating on important things like submitting my credentials for mn G crew!! pretty soon though, don't want to miss out on stuff!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah the viper is a nice toy and yes the DD is meant to be a good balance of luxury, sportiness, and all-weather usability. Yes, it is usually a big mistake to drive the viper to a test drive...(EVERYTHING feels boring...) but I've always loved the way the S4 and the S5 look, so I just figured it would be a "step up" from the G for DD duty. I thought about an e90/92 m3 and or a 2nd gen CTS-V, but they are a little too focused on the sportiness. I've come to realize that the G has a lot going for it...

1) size. the G is between a 3 series and a 5 series so it's not quite as tight for me (im 6'3"). I usually prefer the bigger sedans, but the size of the G works just fine.

2) reliability. Euro cars cost more to maintain and to be honest I've not sure I can really get past all of the issues with the BMW twin turbo 6s (someone mentioned that ). I know they are easy to mod, but given that the stock ones seem to have problems, Im not sure I want to go down that route. Plus, if you get the X you can't get the sport package. So, that excluded the Bimmers...

I'm not arguing that one is better than the other, just that for the money, I think I'll stick with the G....or a G. I think a loaded 2010 XS with a nice stance and nice wheels could be the ticket.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 AM
truthfully, i would much rather take a new S4/S5 as a DD car, they just feel better when you are inside and since we drive on the inside of the car, this does count the most. Also with a few grand worth of Stasis mods on the V6T, one can easily keep up to an M3 on track while still maintaining the factory warranty. I know this because i was on track with my Stage 2 SC with a e93 M3 and a 2010 Stasis S4, and we are all about on the same level speed wise.

If someone would offer me a stock loaded S4 V6T or S5 to trade with my G with all the mods included, i would take that offer in a hartbeat.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Pics of viper? Love those cars.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I love the way the s4 looks. Researched and Researched trying to decide between my 07G and an 05 S4. Never got a chance to drive the S4 because once I test drove the 07 G sedan I was set. Reviews of both cars pushed me to the new G sedan.