Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions


Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 AM
stockae92's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2004
location: socal
Posts: 738
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Test drove a 2008 G35 sedan 6MT now have questions

Hi, I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT and now I have a few questions.

Is the vibration coming from the transmission normal to all 6MT G35?

6MT has more transmission noise than the AT version? When idling and start up/shut off?

The clutch take up was kinda high, but it doesn't slip. I can only assume that's the way it is, but not the clutch is due for replacement soon.

What should I look out for for a used one with about 45k miles?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Wannabe6MT's Avatar
-MN G Crew-

iTrader: (10)
Join Date: May 2007
location: Fargo ND/Eden Prairie MN
Posts: 21,010
Thanked 201 Times in 153 Posts
Sounds exactly like my car...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
slim17265's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 375
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=stockae92;6196177]Hi, I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT and now I have a few questions.

Is the vibration coming from the transmission normal to all 6MT G35?

6MT has more transmission noise than the AT version? When idling and start up/shut off?

The clutch take up was kinda high, but it doesn't slip. I can only assume that's the way it is, but not the clutch is due for replacement soon.

from the reading here most clutches are good for around 100,000 miles..and mine catches about one inch from flroor with 54000 mi.. no vibrations either..it sounds like that one is going to need parts
Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2010
location: SF bayarea (925)
Posts: 3,944
Thanked 414 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Hi, I test drove a 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT and now I have a few questions.

Is the vibration coming from the transmission normal to all 6MT G35? If you're talking about the gear shift vibration, then YES it is quite common, but not universal

6MT has more transmission noise than the AT version? When idling and start up/shut off? No, not necessarily, just the usual chatter when idling in neutral with clutch pedal released. With the clutch pedal depressed it shouldn't make noise.

The clutch take up was kinda high, but it doesn't slip. I can only assume that's the way it is, but not the clutch is due for replacement soon. They are KNOWN for having a high take-up and for being like a light switch.

What should I look out for for a used one with about 45k miles? Maintenance history, absence of abuse indicators from PO.

Thanks.
See within
Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM
rvanderwerf's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2011
location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 686
Thanked 44 Times in 44 Posts
yeah get it checked out as good as you can, dont rely on carfax!

Take it to a good mechanic or a body shop too and have them check it with a fine tooth comb. You can still get burned, I did by having a leaky windshield replaced (at my expense), but since there was no rain for so long (3+ months), and you couldn't tell unless you removed the windshield trim, there was no real way for anyone to find that.

However had I taken mine to a body shop, I would have discovered my front bumper was painted while on the car, on the lot, and thus ruined and not repaint-able. The infiniti dealer I paid to inspect did not catch this, told me it was repainted but done well (lol).

So I'd just put some money aside to fix stuff like that, no way to plan for it really lol. It's hard enough to find a good 6MT 2nd gen sedan anyways!

Also an 08 will probably still have powertrain warranty left, and likely some bumper to bumper left (I have mine until feb). Check to see what the 'in service date is' - that's when the warranty clock starts rolling.

If by vibration you mean the stick/shift vibrating, that is normal in any mt car I've had (while in gear and driving).

Go for, it's a blast. If you even could find a G37 sedan 6mt used, I bet it will be a heckuva lot more money - depends how much you wanna pay for the 30 hp. I couldn't even find one when I was looking.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
stockae92's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2004
location: socal
Posts: 738
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
thanks guys for the info.

i with the way the clutch engage, its need some getting used to before i can drive it smoothly, or do smooth rev matching.

btw, the one i saw doesn't have rear AC vent, instead it has a ashtray?

it doesn't have a fold down back seat. otherwise, its just interior trim wear and tear. it has more wear and tear than i would expect for a 3 year old car.

but to me, the most importants things are the drive train and electronics. since its an infiniti, i guess those should last a long time without abuse.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:05 PM
rvanderwerf's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2011
location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 686
Thanked 44 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
thanks guys for the info.

i with the way the clutch engage, its need some getting used to before i can drive it smoothly, or do smooth rev matching.

btw, the one i saw doesn't have rear AC vent, instead it has a ashtray?

it doesn't have a fold down back seat. otherwise, its just interior trim wear and tear. it has more wear and tear than i would expect for a 3 year old car.

but to me, the most importants things are the drive train and electronics. since its an infiniti, i guess those should last a long time without abuse.
6mt has the parking brake in the center console, so you don't get those things (only on auto because parking brake uses the foot pedal). I think the 09+ has the back seat ac vent.
The clutch does take some getting used to. There is a guy on here in Canada designing a new pedal for it that works better, he's doing the 1st gen first and then the 2nd gen after that - looking forward to it!

The g35 sedan did away with folding rear seats after the 1st gen. I'd think if you intend on needed that feature, a hot hatch like a wrx or ms3 might be better for that ( I considered those before I got my G).

yeah I wouldn't imaging it should be that worse for wear with that mileage and age. I guess someone didn't take care of the inside??
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2005
location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,156
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
i with the way the clutch engage, its need some getting used to before i can drive it smoothly, or do smooth rev matching.
I've had this same 6MT tranny for almost 9 years ('03 350Z, '06 G35 Sedan), and I still struggle with the ("light switch") take-up point of the clutch.

You'll get used to it... but you may never like it.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Wannabe6MT's Avatar
-MN G Crew-

iTrader: (10)
Join Date: May 2007
location: Fargo ND/Eden Prairie MN
Posts: 21,010
Thanked 201 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf View Post
6mt has the parking brake in the center console, so you don't get those things (only on auto because parking brake uses the foot pedal). I think the 09+ has the back seat ac vent.
The clutch does take some getting used to. There is a guy on here in Canada designing a new pedal for it that works better, he's doing the 1st gen first and then the 2nd gen after that - looking forward to it!

The g35 sedan did away with folding rear seats after the 1st gen. I'd think if you intend on needed that feature, a hot hatch like a wrx or ms3 might be better for that ( I considered those before I got my G).

yeah I wouldn't imaging it should be that worse for wear with that mileage and age. I guess someone didn't take care of the inside??
No G sedan has ever had fold down rear seats. Only the coup.e
Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM
stockae92's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2004
location: socal
Posts: 738
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf View Post
6mt has the parking brake in the center console, so you don't get those things (only on auto because parking brake uses the foot pedal). I think the 09+ has the back seat ac vent.
The clutch does take some getting used to. There is a guy on here in Canada designing a new pedal for it that works better, he's doing the 1st gen first and then the 2nd gen after that - looking forward to it!

The g35 sedan did away with folding rear seats after the 1st gen. I'd think if you intend on needed that feature, a hot hatch like a wrx or ms3 might be better for that ( I considered those before I got my G).

yeah I wouldn't imaging it should be that worse for wear with that mileage and age. I guess someone didn't take care of the inside??

I will be interested in a new clutch pedal as well ..

What made you choose G35 over WRX and MS3?

i also considered WRX and MS3. To me, the WRX lacks a lot of the features, that I am basically paying for just the drivetrain with wheels. For the same price as the base WRX, the MS3 (with tech) is filled with features. and in sunny socal, i don't need AWD 99% of the time. But I don't want to get into the whole thing about AWD handling, torque steer and stuff. The bottom line is MS3 is still plenty of fun to drive and handles very well.

i was almost certain that i was going with the MS3 (even went to the dealer for price negotiation but walked out because we couldn't agree on the price) until i came across a '08 G35 sedan (with premium and navi) for about the same price. it seems like the G is a lot more car for the price, even though its used.

but i have to say, MS3 does have advantage of ultility (with the hatch) and its simply a MAD car (which i like). I think the G would hold its value better (given the brands), even though its an older car. Also the first owner already took the hit for the initial depreciation. :-) the NA motor should be more reliable than a FI motor, maybe?! mpg should be equally "bad", MS3 might do better on the freeway without boost. but i don't know if it can stay out of boost cruising at 70mph on the freeway.

and my wife said ... "The G35 doesn't have turn signal on the mirror." ...
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2010
location: SF bayarea (925)
Posts: 3,944
Thanked 414 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post

... The bottom line is MS3 is still plenty of fun to drive and handles very well.

...
Granted, it is that,

but it is also FWD (not even AWD) and it always will be. It'll never feel like a G35 (RWD) car.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
rvanderwerf's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2011
location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 686
Thanked 44 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I will be interested in a new clutch pedal as well ..

What made you choose G35 over WRX and MS3?

i also considered WRX and MS3. To me, the WRX lacks a lot of the features, that I am basically paying for just the drivetrain with wheels. For the same price as the base WRX, the MS3 (with tech) is filled with features. and in sunny socal, i don't need AWD 99% of the time. But I don't want to get into the whole thing about AWD handling, torque steer and stuff. The bottom line is MS3 is still plenty of fun to drive and handles very well.

i was almost certain that i was going with the MS3 (even went to the dealer for price negotiation but walked out because we couldn't agree on the price) until i came across a '08 G35 sedan (with premium and navi) for about the same price. it seems like the G is a lot more car for the price, even though its used.

but i have to say, MS3 does have advantage of ultility (with the hatch) and its simply a MAD car (which i like). I think the G would hold its value better (given the brands), even though its an older car. Also the first owner already took the hit for the initial depreciation. :-) the NA motor should be more reliable than a FI motor, maybe?! mpg should be equally "bad", MS3 might do better on the freeway without boost. but i don't know if it can stay out of boost cruising at 70mph on the freeway.

and my wife said ... "The G35 doesn't have turn signal on the mirror." ...
Ironically, my wife's altima does have the turn signal in the mirror lol. Why did I chose the g over the MS4 or wrx? Well, I live in central texas, no snow - so AWD doesn't do a lot for me here. It came down to a more mature car with RWD and standard. I fell the MS3 was a little young for me (I'm 37) and the FWD I just couldn't get over(And 2010+ is fugly). A hatch does have more utility- no doubt about that. However I also have an old Tundra pickup in my driveway when I really need to haul something. Also insurance - the G was half the price to insure over the MS3 or the wrx. The STI was so expensive insurance-wise, I ruled it completely out. Both the ms3 and the wrx still have a rep for street racing and dumb stuff, and I guess more mature people drive the G going by numbers.

If you want an affordable quality sedan with 6mt and RWD, there isn't a lot to pick from. I'd only own a bmw if I had a warranty, and one new enough for a 335 was too expensive. Lexus is350 also is comparable, again very pricey. The best value seems to be the G
Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
stockae92's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2004
location: socal
Posts: 738
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
rvanderwerf, I think we are/were in the same boat. I have long passed my 20's .. LOL

I ruled out bimmer for the cost of ownership (pre-own without warranty). i like the IS350 but they do cost more than a comparable G35.

strange enough, the insurance for both new MS3 and used G35 is about the same (the diference is within $100/yr)

So I guess G it is .. :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:11 PM
KulG35's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Aug 2007
location: Yorba Linda (Orange County)
Posts: 1,434
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My G has the rattle as well (85k now) clutch still holding strong! I did alter the clutch travel so it doesn't feel so high.

Good luck, I love my 6mt!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 312
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There are rear AC vents in the 6mt, they are relocated under the front seats though.

There's 3 simple/free ways to adjust the clutch. You can add bump stops (on the top/bottom/or both sides), adjust the threaded rod, and either take out or replace the spring in the pedal.

The MS3 is a great car, however I have a friend who got really tired of the rough suspension (which required frequent maintenance) and temperamental nature of the car.

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: G35 coupe sport side skirts R350k5 Exterior - Body Parts 10 10-01-2015 09:41 PM
Paranoid New Owner of an 03 6MT NemesisGee G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 41 08-11-2015 08:10 PM
2008 rear license plate bracket crazy_g35s G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 0 07-20-2015 03:30 PM
Post your shift knob! 6mt appreciation thread nervseele Interior & Exterior 4 07-18-2015 12:21 AM


Tags
2008, brake, deck, emergency, g35, gears, hit, insurance, lid, ms3, put, rock, sedan, shut, spoiler, struggling, testing
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, panoramic-3d.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


infiniti g37 coupe gas mileageblackout paint for tail lightsmuteki lugsoakley sebastien loebhanging exhaust pipeg37 coupe forumrepair clear coat failurece28 redwhat is hydrolocking an enginerims for infiniti g35autozone burlington vtxxr 351alpine mrp m650 specstsw thruxton wheelssnow chains for 35 tireskenwood ddx8968th gen honda accordviper 5901 installation costcar battery light flickering6000k light bulbnissan altima throttle bodyfalken 722brake rotor rust removergtr wheelsdefi link gaugesrecaro toplineinfiniti massinfiniti glencoejdm fog lightused vortech superchargerg35 coupe 0-602008 g35xs specsls1 complete swaphow to remove spray tint from tail lightsgt spec strut barmicargi cougarwobble wheel boltstop secret 350zdog seat hammock coverturbo kit 350zmeisterschaft exhaust review350z hr motorjdm engines ohiomanumatic shiftingwheel squeakplasti dip rims glossdyno jet dyno350gt infinititreaddepot.com reviewsmetra cablesdark grey rimsjapanese engines bay areawhats a jiggalotoureagewhere are stoptech rotors madeddm san diegohid installationnissan altima p0300vmr canada wheelsvq35de valve coverricer crashvinylex by lexoldifference between 215 and 225 tiresinfiniti g35 straight pipehotchkis suspension reviewinfiniti g37 grillehow to install an amp and subwooferinfiniti g35 coupe trunkrotors warped costauxiliary input adaptertsw snettertonkeyhole cover plateshankook ventus r s2is ziebart diamond gloss worth it2jz 6 speed transmissionturbo vs superchargerslim ps2 power cord