Shifting Auto Transmission to DS mode has a lot of features - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Shifting Auto Transmission to DS mode has a lot of features

Shifting Auto Transmission to DS mode has a lot of features

Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Shifting Auto Transmission to DS mode has a lot of features

Now that my engine is "broken in" (1300 miles) I've been playing around with the manual mode and realized that there is a third mode. The DS mode. Originally I thought when I flipped to manual and saw DS light up on the dash that it meant to Down Shift, which I would do.

Now after leaving it in DS mode by accident I found that the car has a brain. When I would take winding roads the car would automatically down shift coming into the corners. It would also engine brake on steep downhills. It's almost as fun to leave it in DS mode as it is to shift manually.

Bruce in L.A.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I posted in a differnt thread, that the DS mode is fantastic for sporty driving.

No real reason to shift manually, it almost reads your mind. It does seem to have some learnng functions as well, because when I drove aggresively, on the side road and then moved to the normal roads, it moved the part throttle shift points up higher for the first few shifts.

For refernces, I almost always drive manual cars, so I don't often praise autos.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
REALLY? the downshiifting into corners is AWESOME (i have a manual tranny, so i can't try this)

that idea and implementation was 1st on a Caddy about 5 or so years ago. it was the idea of a student that was an intern at GM. i'm sure he got a career out of it, but unfortunately since he was working there (for free or peanuts as an intern!!), he got NO patent.

i'm sure infinit uses the same concept of the accelerometer readings to know you are slowing and reading thesteering angle
Old 03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Just curious ... has anyone compared the fuel economy when driving in DS mode as compared to just automatic D mode?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Other than the obvious capability of allowing you to shift manually when in DS mode, the Infiniti manual itself doesn't have much information on what is the car's behavior when left in DS mode w/o shifting manually. The only information I saw was:

===================

Moving the selector lever to the DS (Drive Sport) position allows you to enjoy comfortable driving on a winding road and feel smooth acceleration or deceleration on a hilly road by moving in a lower gear automatically.

===================

I haven't had much time to play with DS mode only. It isn't clear what "comfortable driving on a winding road" actually means. Maybe by "comfortable" they mean it automatically downshifts as bruuster said?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY07G35SPN
Just curious ... has anyone compared the fuel economy when driving in DS mode as compared to just automatic D mode?
I would imagine it would be different somewhat since TC lockup functions differently depending on mode. Notice they mention fuel economy in the "Slip Lock-up Control" definition below.

Here is what service manual says:

D position
Lockup occurs in 5th gear Only
Slip lock-up occurs in 3rd to 5th Gear

M positon
Lockup occurs 3rd to 5th Gear
Slip lockup does not occur

LOCK-UP CONTROL
The torque converter clutch piston in the torque converter is engaged to eliminate torque converter slip to increase power transmission efficiency.
The torque converter clutch control valve operation is controlled by the torque converter clutch solenoid valve, which is controlled by a signal from TCM, and the torque converter clutch control valve engages or releases
the torque converter clutch piston.

Lock-up Released
In the lock-up released state, the torque converter clutch control valve is set into the unlocked state by the torque converter clutch solenoid and the lock-up apply pressure is drained. In this way, the torque converter clutch piston is not coupled.

Lock-up Applied
In the lock-up applied state, the torque converter clutch control valve is set into the locked state by the torque converter clutch solenoid and lock-up apply pressure is generated. In this way, the torque converter clutch piston is pressed and coupled.

Smooth Lock-up Control
When shifting from the lock-up released state to the lock-up applied state, the current output to the torque converter clutch solenoid is controlled with the TCM. In this way, when shifting to the lock-up applied state, the
torque converter clutch is temporarily set to the half-clutched state to reduce the shock.

Half-clutched State
The current output from the TCM to the torque converter clutch solenoid is varied to steadily increase the torque converter clutch solenoid pressure.
In this way, the lock-up apply pressure gradually rises and while the torque converter clutch piston is put into half-clutched states, the torque converter clutch piston operating pressure is increased and the coupling is completed smoothly.

Slip Lock-up Control
In the slip region, the torque converter clutch solenoid current is controlled with the TCM to put it into the half-clutched state. This absorbs the engine torque fluctuation and lock-up operates from low speed.
This raises the fuel efficiency for 3rd, 4th and 5th gears at both low speed and when the accelerator has a low degree of opening.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Good info treacherous! and who was it that said the Infiniti G35 had the same tranny as an old Buick! Fess up... don't make me search threads
Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Had it in DS for most of the time on a recent road trip to South Carolina. What a blast! Also makes daily driving much more fun.

As for fuel economy, it appeared to be slightly worse. Probably 3-5 mpg worse. I attributed it to the fact that the rpm's were consistently higher.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
So DS mode will Up AND Downshift? Haven't even tried this yet...
Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
So DS mode will Up AND Downshift? Haven't even tried this yet...
Yep! It is very cool!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
DS mode makes you drive it like a sportscar. It just wants to rev high all the time. Love it. The downshifting is awesome. Not to offend the 6mt expert drivers but, not many people with a manual would shift this good. I know ....except you.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
DS mode is fantastic, after trying it on my test drive it was one of the major factors in convincing me to sell my 6mt Audi S4 and buy the G35x. Now I just need to finish breaking in my G35x so I can take advantage of it.

Caveman, I owned manual cars exclusively for the last 10 years (including an 04 G35 6mt coupe), and I would agree with your statement that the majority of manual drivers cannot shift as well as the DS mode (including me).
Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 AM
I tend to use DS mode when driving decently fast, typically on high ways...I cant really stand how the car vibrates when downshifting to 2nd gear n stuff in stop n go traffic or in the city, so i either shift manually below 40-50mph or i leave it in D.

I have the paddle shifters to play with too though..those are bloody brilliant.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman666
DS mode makes you drive it like a sportscar. It just wants to rev high all the time. Love it. The downshifting is awesome. Not to offend the 6mt expert drivers but, not many people with a manual would shift this good. I know ....except you.
Downshifting is pretty easy in the manual, but you're right, the upshifts with the rock crusher are probably slower and more deliberate.

As much as I hate automatic transmissions, from the sound of it compared to the 6 speed, it probably is better. However, if I had known it before the car I still would have bought the 6mt. Work that left leg!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Bad Toro
Excuse the asinine question, but what is DS mode, and more importantly, how do you switch to that mode?