Deodorizing Vents - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Deodorizing Vents

Deodorizing Vents

Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Deodorizing Vents

I read somewhere that if you're trying get rid of cigarette smell from your car, one thing you need to do is deodorize your vents. I went to Pep Boys and bought this stuff called Ozium, it's like a baceteria and odor air neutralizer. Is it ok to spray that stuff in the vents?

I think I also read that you should spray it in the panel vents, the defogger vents, and even the outside vents behind wind shield wipers. Is this ok with Ozium?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Go to Walgreens, they sell this stuff for $5 that is in a fogger can. You start the car, turn the AC on recirc, full blast, then start the can spraying and close the door for 5 minutes. This is a fine mist made specifically for this purpose and it works well. Only downside is you really need to air out the car afterwards, I did it during the summer here in Phoenix which meant my doors and windows were almost always closed and it took like a week before the car stopped smelling like a really clean restroom...but the previous owners stanky wacky tabacky no longer lingers, and it now smells like a car should...whatever that means.

you can even order online.

BTW if you really want to use the ozium, run the AC on recirc, and spray in the passenger side footwell so that it can get sucked into the ventilation system, works well, just do it somewhere you can get out of the car as you don't want to be in there when you fog the ozium. You also want to get any surfaces that are cloth or cloth like, thats where the smoke lingers. This method has always worked for me, I like the fogger cause it will get every nook and cranny in the car, like in the seat foam, etc. where the smoke can get into and stay.

well enough rambling, i am going to sleep now.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 AM
You should try changing the air filter first. That may be the culprit. There are instructions in the DIY forum or you can have the dealer or mechanic do it.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Red Card Crew
I couldn't find that stuff at my local Walgreens so I got the ozium instead. Sprayed the interior 2-3 times and closed the doors. Waited for about 15 min. Then ran the ac/recirc and sprayed it in the p-side footwell. It's cool to see it get sucked up. Ran it for about 5-10 min and sprayed it again 1-2 more times while it was running (with doors/windows closed). Then did it with the defrost/fresh air. (I already replaced the cabin filter before).

It's only been one day. So far so good. When I run the ac/defrost, I can smell the faint odor of the ozium. Do you have to keep doing this? Or should this eliminate the odors? I'm trying to get rid of a previous smoker smell. I still have to clean the leather. I thought it would be better to take care of the vents before doing the interior clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinc
Go to Walgreens, they sell this stuff for $5 that is in a fogger can. You start the car, turn the AC on recirc, full blast, then start the can spraying and close the door for 5 minutes. This is a fine mist made specifically for this purpose and it works well. Only downside is you really need to air out the car afterwards, I did it during the summer here in Phoenix which meant my doors and windows were almost always closed and it took like a week before the car stopped smelling like a really clean restroom...but the previous owners stanky wacky tabacky no longer lingers, and it now smells like a car should...whatever that means.

you can even order online.

BTW if you really want to use the ozium, run the AC on recirc, and spray in the passenger side footwell so that it can get sucked into the ventilation system, works well, just do it somewhere you can get out of the car as you don't want to be in there when you fog the ozium. You also want to get any surfaces that are cloth or cloth like, thats where the smoke lingers. This method has always worked for me, I like the fogger cause it will get every nook and cranny in the car, like in the seat foam, etc. where the smoke can get into and stay.

well enough rambling, i am going to sleep now.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Stinky G...............

My G still smells like leather (new) where are you
getting this smoke smell from? See it's
not good for your car or you.....SMOKING SUCKS!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Red Card Crew
Quote:
I'm trying to get rid of a previous smoker smell
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c
Old 03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Does anyone else think it's weird that our cabin draws air in from right behind the battery? couldn't we like get toxic nasty **** right in the cabin if the battery has a problem?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:51 PM
the in cabin filter is like 4 inches away from the battery
Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Red Card Crew
Yup. I agree. Nothing like the smell of fresh battery acid to make your driving experience complete! I'll probably make sure to only buy the sealed type in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSash
Does anyone else think it's weird that our cabin draws air in from right behind the battery? couldn't we like get toxic nasty **** right in the cabin if the battery has a problem?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Another tip - grab a can of febreeze and every 4-6 months sit in the car, turn the a/c on recirculate (just like you did), and spray the entire can down into the passenger side footwell. I do this in every car I detail - keeps them smelling fresh for most of the year.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Is sending vapor/mist into the car's AC/vent system bad for the car? Just curious...I like the Febreeze idea...but don't want to F up my car.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c
Wait, smoking's not good for you? WOW! I'm gonna quit RIGHT AWAY! Thanks for the new info!

Can't believe I've been smoking all this time without even knowing that.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus112
Another tip - grab a can of febreeze and every 4-6 months sit in the car, turn the a/c on recirculate (just like you did), and spray the entire can down into the passenger side footwell. I do this in every car I detail - keeps them smelling fresh for most of the year.
never thought of that,thanx for the tip!!!!! i love febreeze,lol
Old 03-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Won't you end up with febreeze residue in the circ system? That stuff is a sticky mess when we sprayed it generously on some flooring and carpet where we had some animal butt control issues...love the stuff but that much concentrated can not be wonderful for the system or filters.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
While looking at a used RX330 at Car Sense ("like-new" off-lease used retailer), it smelled of smoke. I was told they would send the vehicle to a detail shop where it would be hooked up to a deodorizing system, which was further described as a machine that forced deodorizing air into the interior through the intake vents (not unlike when the vehicle is in motion), and left that way for 4 hours, windows up. Supposedly, the treatment permeates cloth, carpet, and other fibers to get rid of stink. Did not buy the car, but have never smelled smoke in any of the vehicles that have on the lot.

You may try seeking such a vendor out for the treatment.