What type of gas is the VQ designed for? - Page 3 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • What type of gas is the VQ designed for?


What type of gas is the VQ designed for?

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
bigjee's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 329
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
The way i see it is if i dont eat out once or twice a month i can put that money towards using 91 instead of 87.

The car stays happy and that in turn makes me happy.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Dec 2011
location: KW, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,074
Thanked 356 Times in 257 Posts
Also, just a heads up for you guys who don't 'notice' any difference, this likely points to either A) you not paying enough attention to your car or its mileage, or B) you have a bad knock sensor or other component, which is causing the car to go into 'safe mode' for timing and retard the timing regardless of the fuel used. This is why you notice no difference, fix your problem, try it and post back.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pedalsdn View Post
all vq's require atleast 91.
False. It's recommend in some models but not required in all of them.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:38 PM
bigjee's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 329
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerMax View Post
Also, just a heads up for you guys who don't 'notice' any difference, this likely points to either A) you not paying enough attention to your car or its mileage, or B) you have a bad knock sensor or other component, which is causing the car to go into 'safe mode' for timing and retard the timing regardless of the fuel used. This is why you notice no difference, fix your problem, try it and post back.

I've noticed a difference in mileage when filling 91 octane from different pumps.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Can't answer why maximas do not require premium, but for my 04 G35x Sedan, as per owner's manual, it states... coupes require premium unleaded (Octane 91 or higher)... G35 Sedan -- Premium unleaded recommended -- but regular unleaded (87 Octane) acceptable.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Dec 2011
location: KW, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,074
Thanked 356 Times in 257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwizard View Post
Can't answer why maximas do not require premium, but for my 04 G35x Sedan, as per owner's manual, it states... coupes require premium unleaded (Octane 91 or higher)... G35 Sedan -- Premium unleaded recommended -- but regular unleaded (87 Octane) acceptable.
Not sure where you're getting this from, but Maxima's certainly do require premium.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, meant to say I don't know what Maxima's require for gasoline... I only know that my G35x sedan owners manual say a sedan can use either regular or premium unleaded but premium unleaded is recommended... G35 coupes require premium unleaded.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
OKStateG35's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Mar 2009
location: West Houston, TX
Posts: 1,721
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know what it is about gasoline threads that brings out so much misinformation.

91 vs 93 is irrelevant because it is all 'Premium'. It varies by state depending on altitude and environmental regulations.

Premium fuel is NOT required in all G35's. I know this because the fuel door on my G35X specifically says 'Premium fuel RECOMMENDED for maximum performance'. In other words it won't hurt a thing if you use Regular, but it is tuned for maximum output running on Premium.

The fact that the car has a VQ doesn't really have anything to do with it. This is proven by the fact that not even all G35's require Premium fuel and they are all VQ's.

Mid-grade and Regular are not the same. Mid-grade is a blend of Regular and Premium and is required to have a minimum octane rating of 89 depending on location.

Compression ratio is directly related to the required octane rating. The higher the compression, the higher the octane required. This is not to say there aren't other factors.

Many countries use the Research Octane Number (RON) or the Motor Octane Number (MON) to measure octane levels. The United States uses the Anti-knock Index (AKI) which is an average of the two (R+M/2).

In summary, just because you drive a G35 does not mean you are REQUIRED to use Premium. Look at your owner's manual or fuel door and base your decision off of that.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Dec 2011
location: KW, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,074
Thanked 356 Times in 257 Posts
Wow. So much good info mixed with confusing/incorrect/misinformed info.

The best part is that your post starts out saying precisely that, just before you contradict yourself in the same post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
I don't know what it is about gasoline threads that brings out so much misinformation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
91 vs 93 is irrelevant because it is all 'Premium'. It varies by state depending on altitude and environmental regulations.
You say this, then you say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
Many countries use the Research Octane Number (RON) or the Motor Octane Number (MON) to measure octane levels. The United States uses the Anti-knock Index (AKI) which is an average of the two (R+M/2).
I'm confused, is the Octane rating regulated or not? I can't imagine it's ok in one context for them to say the same fuel is 91 as 93 just cause it's a different state.....but you say the mid-grade is regulated to 89 octane. So is ther regulation on these numbers or isn't there? The fuels octane rating doesn't change at different altitudes, but the required octane the CAR NEEDS changes at different altitudes due to different atmospheric presure, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
Premium fuel is NOT required in all G35's. I know this because the fuel door on my G35X specifically says 'Premium fuel RECOMMENDED for maximum performance'. In other words it won't hurt a thing if you use Regular, but it is tuned for maximum output running on Premium.
You know this cause it says it on your gas door? Your "interpretation" of what that sticker "means in other words" is not a determining factor.
Almost EVERY Nissan has that exact sticker on the gas door, the gas door is not where you determine what gas you use, just as the Sidewall of the tire is not where you findout what pressure to put in your tires. Both make sense as places to reference, but both are incorrect.
Every single G35's owners manual says 91 Octane. If your G35 is magically different from every other one, then please post the paragraph in your owners manual that says so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
The fact that the car has a VQ doesn't really have anything to do with it.
True, but most VQ's require 89 or 91. Certainly not exclusively, so consult owners manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
This is proven by the fact that not even all G35's require Premium fuel and they are all VQ's.
More "misinformation" as you put it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
Compression ratio is directly related to the required octane rating. The higher the compression, the higher the octane required. This is not to say there aren't other factors.
Though it's true that very high compression engines tend to use higher octane, the VQ's and specifically the VQ35DE are far from high compression engines. There are a shytpile of engines running higher compression that use Regular gas. The Compression ratio is not the primary reason for higher octane needed, though it IS a factor, it's far from the primary one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStateG35 View Post
In summary, just because you drive a G35 does not mean you are REQUIRED to use Premium. Look at your owner's manual
Sounds like you sir might want to take this advice in yourself. I already posted the paragraph out of the G's owners manual.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM
STLG35guy's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 231
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
(comin from a jew) Don't be a Jew! Your driving a luxury car. Whitch means preuimium expenes and premium parts also mean you need to use preuimium gas. My GF has a 2k maxima. We put 93 in it just like my G. We haven't had a single engine problem with the max EVER. Dirty cheap gas can cause your internal engine parts to go bad faster. Don't be a Jew!!!!! Lol just put the preuimium in unless you want car problems down the road . I know you don't so put the right gas type in your car
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Dec 2011
location: KW, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,074
Thanked 356 Times in 257 Posts
It's hard personally in Canada, where the price difference between a regular fill up and a premium fill up is normally over $10 to a tank. Personally, I still do it as much as possible. I'm not going to lie, there's times that despite all my posts here verifying that premium is what you should use and all the reasons why, I've been known to cheap out every once in a while on my maxima.

The G will never, ever get that treatment though. And on the maxima, it's even dumb because the cheaper gas yields worse mileage so in the end I'm probably losing money or breaking even anyways.

In the states though, it makes no sense to run anything else because the difference in price is so minimal there.



Also, I hadn't bothered to say this because in the G it's alittle different, but people are wasting there money for the most part getting higher octane gas. ie. putting 94 in the car instead of 91 is a stretch. Higher octane won't yield better performance in most models unless you've modified something (advanced timing, etc)

On the Rev-up models, higher octane gas than the recommended 91 may create benefits, I'm not sure, the Mapping on those engines is more complex and they might acutally be able to do something with the better fuel. But on the standard VQ models found in the 03/04, and the VQ in the Maxima, it's a waste of money putting higher than 91 in on a regular basis.

The only benefit in those applications is if you're using ethanol free-gas. Check here to find out who has it in your area:
However, most stations that have ethanol free have it in the 91 octane range, you rarely have to get higher octane ratings to acheive "no ethanol"
vShell V-Power ranges from 91 to 93 octane both with and without added ethanol, but always check the pump, as some stations still add ethanol. If they DO, it MUST be labled over a certain percent (IIRC, around 5%)

I'd also recommend you all Google "Top Tier" and go to their web site and find out what fuels in your area are on the top teir list, and use them.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 PM
OKStateG35's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Mar 2009
location: West Houston, TX
Posts: 1,721
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerMax View Post
Wow. So much good info mixed with confusing/incorrect/misinformed info.

The best part is that your post starts out saying precisely that, just before you contradict yourself in the same post...





You say this, then you say this:



I'm confused, is the Octane rating regulated or not? I can't imagine it's ok in one context for them to say the same fuel is 91 as 93 just cause it's a different state.....but you say the mid-grade is regulated to 89 octane. So is ther regulation on these numbers or isn't there? The fuels octane rating doesn't change at different altitudes, but the required octane the CAR NEEDS changes at different altitudes due to different atmospheric presure, etc.




You know this cause it says it on your gas door? Your "interpretation" of what that sticker "means in other words" is not a determining factor.
Almost EVERY Nissan has that exact sticker on the gas door, the gas door is not where you determine what gas you use, just as the Sidewall of the tire is not where you findout what pressure to put in your tires. Both make sense as places to reference, but both are incorrect.
Every single G35's owners manual says 91 Octane. If your G35 is magically different from every other one, then please post the paragraph in your owners manual that says so.




True, but most VQ's require 89 or 91. Certainly not exclusively, so consult owners manual.



More "misinformation" as you put it



Though it's true that very high compression engines tend to use higher octane, the VQ's and specifically the VQ35DE are far from high compression engines. There are a shytpile of engines running higher compression that use Regular gas. The Compression ratio is not the primary reason for higher octane needed, though it IS a factor, it's far from the primary one



Sounds like you sir might want to take this advice in yourself. I already posted the paragraph out of the G's owners manual.
I don't even know where to begin with this. You clearly don't know what you're talking about at all on the subject. Pretty much everything you said is wrong.

It is a fact that octane ratings change by state. The requirements for regular and premium change depending on altitude so gasoline retailers change what they sell accordingly. That is why premium is 91 in one state and 93 in another or regular is 85 in some states and 87 in others. As long as you are using the grade level required for your engine in whatever state you happen to be in you will be fine. As far as mid-grade goes, go back and read what I wrote. Since it is a blend of regular and premium it will obviously vary by state in direct correlation to what octane levels regular and premium are in those states. I don't see how any of that information contradicts itself.

The (R+M)/2 for each grade level is regulated. In other words, if they say they are selling a certain octane level for a certain grade, the gasoline in the tank is required to be at least that level of octane. It is also a fact that different countries around the world measure octane using different standards. The United States happens to use an average of the two most common measurements (RON and MON).

I stated that compression ratio is not the only determining factor in octane requirements. It is directly related though.

Your quote about not believing what your gas door says is pure gold. Also, my manual specifically says Sedans with 5AT's are required to use 87 AKI gasoline while 91 AKI can be used for improved performance. I'm not sure how much clearer it needs to be.

If I can't trust what my car specifically says to use what can I trust? I can say for certain it won't be anything you say.

Last edited by OKStateG35; 02-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OKStateG35 For This Useful Post:
TunerMax (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:15 PM
JOKER's Avatar
CLUB MODERATOR
iTrader: (24)
Join Date: Oct 2005
location: earth
Posts: 9,080
Thanked 344 Times in 244 Posts
VQ designed for a gas that burns with flames.

it's really hard to find.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 PM
STLG35guy's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 231
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER View Post
VQ designed for a gas that burns with flames.

it's really hard to find.
Haha +1
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
SDGenius's Avatar
VRH Equipped
iTrader: (15)
Join Date: Jan 2008
location: Oside, SoCal
Posts: 12,810
Thanked 910 Times in 608 Posts
my users manual clearly says, to use at least 87 but 91 is recommended. i hear that may have changed for later models but i can't confirm. although i'm sure you'll be fine running 87 in any G due to the fact that that's what dealerships put in their loaners. my ECU was re-tuned for 91, so that's what i use. on my Wife's G, she puts in whatever, normally 89 though. when i put gas in it, i choose 91 because i'm used to paying for it, so it doesn't bother me.

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Remove Gas Pump to Clean Sending Unit & Clear P0463 Code RemmyZero V36 DIY 8 01-19-2018 11:08 PM
THMotorsports Suspension-Vendor 199 01-19-2018 07:27 PM
G35 Coupe Muffler Delete Sound Clip davizzle Video Share 5 01-31-2017 05:00 PM
04 G35 Hello! KruZZe New Members Check In 5 10-11-2015 12:17 PM
Need to remove fuel from gas tank. HELP HELP Hogbone Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction 2 09-28-2015 07:44 PM


Tags
2008, 35, 91, fuel, g35, gas, i30, infiniti, nissan, octance, octane, recommendation, sedan, type, vq
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, panoramic-3d.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


jl audio wedge boxkenwood excelon ddx8019350z subwoofer boxssr type c rimsmurano tire pressureseatbelt padaltima dashboard symbolskelly infinitycompustar 9000megan racing replacement partstint laws in nycode 0175camo hood wrap350z wheel bearingg35 oem lipsmoke machine diyg37s sedan527 xxraaa patch tirehow to replace wiring harnessvalvoline olathe ksbest tire size for 18x9.52003 fx45 specswest coast customs sunglassesfuel injector ccwheel alignment rancho cordovais mishimoto a good brandmodified infiniti g35ccfl headlights350z vortech supercharger installdrive by wire laghow much plastidip for rimsis300 xxr 521chilton manual pdfvossen directionalthermal imaging diyfx45 vs fx35infiniti replacement keyhid 8000k bulbsgas needlebride stradia replicag35 convertiblegto vs mustang gtmy brake pedal goes all the way to the floorrace slicksforged performance shift knobinfiniti oakvillewhat is a p0420 check engine codemy car shakes when i drive itraspy exhaustinfiniti g37 awd350z buildwork meister sp1mb battle rimslegal window tint in californiahtt plethore specsinfiniti g35 upgrades2004 g35 infiniti350z engine buildsynthetic oil autozonekyowa wheelsq50 rougevin decoder kenworthg37 shift knob2003 infiniti m45 body kitcost to powder coat brake caliperscode 22349 a vc speed costbroken exhaust hangerhow to remove wheel bearing hub assemblyeffects of overfilling engine oil5 point harness racing seathornblaster train horn kitgreddy emanage ultimate for saleact prolite flywheelpump wedge kitviolation 22349a 29supercharger for g35