Tip: Found OEM HID and Hi/Low Match!!! - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Tip: Found OEM HID and Hi/Low Match!!!

Tip: Found OEM HID and Hi/Low Match!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Cool Tip: Found OEM HID and Hi/Low Match!!!

Just wanted to share my recent discovery. I have an '03 Sedan. However, this tip should work through at least '06 (maybe even later, though I didn't research this), as long as you order the correct headlight bulb size for your G. This certainly isn't anyone's idea of a custom mod, but I am extremely satisfied with the look and functionality I obtained.

One of my HID's burned out recently. So, I did some research. I found a pair of Philips D2R HID's on e-Bay from HCX Performance for $72.36 w/ shipping charge. Great price! These are an exact OEM replacement for the 4300K color temp on the '03. Perfect, so far.

However, if you're like me, you've always hated the 'warm white' hi/low beams next to the pure white HID's. I found a pair of Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs (9003/HB2/H4 SZ/2) on e-Bay from bidnbuymore for $37.95 w/ shipping. They have a color temp of 4200K. I can't tell the difference in color temp between these and the HID's, when looking head on.

So, for about $110, I replaced all 4 bulbs and it looks better than new! When driving around town, I turn on my HID's 24x7. I also turn on my driving/fog/low beams and I get great vision on the road ahead at night. Flipping to high beams is pure white, long range visibility!!!

I hope this helps someone on a budget, who just wants to improve their OEM headlight situation on the cheap!

Have a bright one...or 4!

Last edited by dougbert; 03-31-2012 at 09:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dougbert For This Useful Post:
G:Drive (03-27-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbert View Post
Just wanted to share my recent discovery. I have an '03 Sedan. However, this tip should work through at least '06 (maybe even later, though I didn't research this), as long as you order the correct headlight bulb size for your G. This certainly isn't anyone's idea of a custom mod, but I am extremely satisfied with the look and functionality I obtained.

One of my HID's burned out recently. So, I did some research. I found a pair of Philips D2R HID's on e-Bay from HCX Performance for $72.36 w/ shipping charge. Great price! These are an exact OEM replacement for the 4300K color temp on the '03. Perfect, so far.

However, if you're like me, you've always hated the 'warm white' hi/low beams next to the pure white HID's. I found a pair of Sylvania SilverStar ZXE bulbs (9003/HB2/H4 SZ/2) on e-Bay from bidnbuymore for $37.95 w/ shipping. They have a color temp of 4200K. I can't tell the difference in color temp between these and the HID's, when looking head on.

So, for about $110, I replaced all 4 bulbs and it looks better than new! When driving around town, I turn on my HID's 24x7. I also turn on my driving/fog/low beams and I get great vision on the road ahead at night. Flipping to high beams is pure white, long range visibility!!!

I hope this helps someone on a budget, who just wants to improve their OEM headlight situation on the cheap!

Have a bright one...or 4!
Good looks! For $40 it's worth a try... Did you swap out your fog bulbs for something white too? Got any pics?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Congrats! Pics please!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 AM
StrongG35x: at least on '03/'04 (maybe later too), the hi/low beam is a single bulb. If you're driving with just your HID's, you can flip on the high beams by pressing the turn signal lever forward, as you know. However, the low beam has to be turned on by rotating the switch in the center of the lever. So, the low beam only lights when the high beams are off. The low beam also gets called 'driving' or 'fog' lights, but it's all in the same bulb. Yes, the high/low beams are both white whatever we call it.

Adro/StrongG35x: baby needs a bath before I take her picture in public! We've got snow predicted in the next couple of days, but I'll try to squeak in her bath before if work allows me to do that. In any event, I'll get some photos posted ASAP.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Or you can buy an hid hi/Lo kit from ddm tuning for $60 and 2 new bulbs for $15.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbert View Post
StrongG35x: at least on '03/'04 (maybe later too), the hi/low beam is a single bulb. If you're driving with just your HID's, you can flip on the high beams by pressing the turn signal lever forward, as you know. However, the low beam has to be turned on by rotating the switch in the center of the lever. So, the low beam only lights when the high beams are off. The low beam also gets called 'driving' or 'fog' lights, but it's all in the same bulb. Yes, the high/low beams are both white whatever we call it.

Adro/StrongG35x: baby needs a bath before I take her picture in public! We've got snow predicted in the next couple of days, but I'll try to squeak in her bath before if work allows me to do that. In any event, I'll get some photos posted ASAP.
Oh yeah, duh I probably should have just looked at my headlights before asking you that! Good looks though, I'm seriously considering these. Just swapped a ballast so I'm confident this will take me no time to do! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Lightbulb Requested Photos

Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long, but here are the requested photos as promised:

First, HIDs only:

Now, add in the new low beams:

Finally, HIDs with high beams:

Pretty good match, eh?! So, for less than $40, you can closely match your HID's color temp.

Let me know if anyone else decides to give this a try. The more who agree this is a good match, the more it will validate what I'm saying, and the more people who will save some $$$ while performing an economical upgrade.

Last edited by dougbert; 03-31-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for posting your info, I just had a HID bulb go out so I ordered same bulbs as you . Everyone should be carefull with buying HID bulbs, there are Chinese fakes out there. I was able to find a pair for about the same price from a eBay Seller I think I could trusted ( hidbulbzrus ), they were $73 for the pair .

They recommend replacing as a pair because HID Xenon bulbs get whiter with age/use.

I'll report back to let you know how I think the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE 's look on mine.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Hey Michael,

I'll bet your new bulbs should be arriving soon. I'm glad you gave this a shot. I think you'll be pleased, but I'm looking forward to reading your review.

-dougbert
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I got them installed, ballast was fine. I was relieved. I changed the non HID bulbs out one at a time to compare the difference, they are much whiter and a bit briighter too than the oem bulbs. They HIDs and the other bulbs are a lot closer shades now. I was in the yard that evening when my wife came home and the head lights looked really good. I have yet to drive it at night but I bet it's brighter.

thanks again
Old 04-04-2012, 12:55 AM
just get a bixenon h4 kit in any color you want.

nothing gets brighter than that. (5k, 6k specially).

as for the low beams, get osram sylvanias coolblue's, cool color and very bright. I got mine from hidplanet for $190. I previously used ddmtuning 6k bulbs ($20, garbage, absolute garbage), phillips ultinon 5800K (very cool color, but not as bright as oem phillips 4300k). And now i'm using silvania's, nothing beats these!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 AM
lol u changed ur bulbs..congrats..? lmfao
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 AM
& the lower lights are fogs not lowbeams...that's why they were yellow