G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP

G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP

Old 04-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Re: G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP

I think the G35 will definately outlast the Grand Prix. If I'm not mistaken, the Grand Prix is a FWD, so there's the whole FWD v. RWD debate for you. It has traction control, but not stability control. Plus, I've noticed that few companies offer traction/stability controls with a manual transmission, and the Grand Prix doesn't even offer a manual. It takes a 3.8L Supercharged engine to generate the kind of power that Infiniti makes with a 3.5L naturally aspirated engine. Insurance will probably be cheaper with the Grand Prix.

I think the Grand Prix is a cool looking car on the outside.. but I've seen too many of them fall apart at the seems. Maybe they're better now, my experience is with the early 90's versions.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter
Old 04-15-2003, 03:43 PM

American cars always have good power and straight line acceleration but the interior are usually hum drum. I am pretty sure it will not handle nearly as good as the G35.

Yeah its obvious I love my G. But the US manufacturers need to upgrade the longlasting quality of their vehicles. If they did Americans would devoutly support them especially in these times of Patriotic awareness!

Old 04-15-2003, 03:55 PM

Actually I think you have the hp and torque backwards there. I have an article right here in front of me which says 260hp and 280 ft-lbs. Not that it makes much difference. I seriously wouldn't change my G for two Grand Prix's unless it was to sell them get a new G and use the extra money to mod it.

Red/Canadian
Old 04-15-2003, 04:52 PM

Insurance would not be cheaper on a supercharged car than a non-blown car. One of my employee has a GTP now and I still beat his *** even though he has 260 & 280. The car is heavy and it don't go very well;P

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi
Old 04-15-2003, 05:38 PM

Insurance is more than just the supercharger. We make enough power to be considered high-performance vehicles, so our insurance is in sports-car territory. Plus, if you carry comprehensive coverage instead of just liability, the G35 costs more to repair/replace than a Grand Prix, causing insurance premiums to be a bit more. The medical portion may be less, since the G35 has more safety features, but that's a small portion of the total premium.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:52 PM

You should read my bio. Our cars are rated a compacts and a Camero is rated as a sub compact-just a side note. This rating affects your policy premuims.You get a high performance tag for things like big HP V8s,turbo chargers and....BLOWERS. Types of coverage always affect permiums charged and amounts of coverage also affect premiums. I know this subject inside and out (as it is part of my job). Maybe not your carrier or your neck of the woods though.I just quoted myself and the insurance on a 350 Z and a G35 coupe are indentical but the sedan is $504 less per year.I guess we are not in sports car territory or at least the carriers I know are not rating a sedan as a sports car. I hope yours isn't rating you as such. Yes we do have a good amount of grunt but it is not the best nor the fastest in its class. Acura's also rate out the same as the G35 sedan and that's a TL Type S 260 HP. Repair costs will be similar when the new GTP arrives because there are not alot of spare parts around, same issue the Gs & Zs fight currently.
I am not trying to disrespect anyone but I felt some clarification on my part was necessary.
No hard feelings I hope

Old 04-16-2003, 03:27 AM

The dealer told me that the G35 sedan and coupe have almost the same insurance ratings about 25-150$ difference and they said that insurance is a little more that the I35 because it sport sedan. The GTP looks lnie pretty nice on the out side but its inside is not to well made. American cars are known for their bad interior. One of the nicest thing on that car is it has a paddle shifter option which is cool.

Old 04-16-2003, 03:59 AM

So, what are the rules then? Do individual insurance carriers decide? An agent hinted that it's up to the manufacturer as to whether or not to rate a car as high-performance, but I doubt that. But, yes, I have a sedan and my insurance carrier rates it as a high-performance vehicle. It costs me about $200/year more than it would have cost me to insure a BMW 330i sedan. If it's not supposed to be a high-performance vehicle, how would I go about getting it reclassified?

Old 04-16-2003, 06:48 AM

Good Morning guys. About the G35 insurance, so what do you folks pay yearly on your insurance. I pay $1,000 a year: that's with full coverage.

Old 04-16-2003, 11:51 AM

Call another carrier for a quote and ask them about their rating class for the car. Make sure you are getting all your discounts for the air bag setup-I didn't when I first rated it. Anit-theft/Chipped keys are sometimes overlooked as well. Go through your current policy with your agent or CSR and make sure you have all the credits you can get from your other policies-Renter/Homeowners/Life Insurance/Multi-car. I pay $1100 a year and I run HIGH limits of coverage with $500 deduct. You can drop your insurance cost by using a higher deduct as well. Each company has to file its rates with the state they are writing in.That means they have to show what they want to charge..and why..and also how they arrive at the rates. Thats why some carriers can be better than others in different parts of any given state. With my carrier a 330i would run me another $97.00. On the classification of the car, that would be carrier specific,rather how they look at the vehicle. If you want to know-ask why you have the tag/surcharge. They might be able to you exactly why but some issues are underwriting only and all they will say is: "its up to the company to set the guidelines-we just have to follow them,Sorry" I have had this problem before and sometimes an explaination can't be gotten. Hate to burst the bubble and not give carrier names but that is unethical-Sorry. Hope the other info helps.

Old 04-16-2003, 11:55 AM

If your are running full coverage in Cali thats a good price but as I stated earlier there are alot of factors that can bring a premium down. Always review your policy with your agent/CSR and see if there are any discounts you are missimg. I rated myself and didn't get my full air bag credit. You need to make sure its right so take your O/M and window sticker. It can help.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:30 PM

Called an underwriter a few minutes ago to get some answers. I am getting a review done and the result was that yes its is a high performance vehicle but that is all that was stated. No symbol change or surcharge-its all in one I guess,she wouldn't say much more-commute credit is good to have though. I tried on my end.I am told: "that's the current underwriting guidelines shown-it could change,who knows"

Old 04-16-2003, 02:02 PM

I don't feel so bad now.. I'm at about 1200/yr with the "high-performance" tag on my sedan.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:14 PM

Sometimes things are not as bad as they seem. We all just have to talk. Did you get a chance to review all of your credits to make sure nothing was missing? The Chipped key took alot of paperwork to get through.