Are Cold Air Intakes (CAI's) Legal in CA / NY? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Are Cold Air Intakes (CAI's) Legal in CA / NY?

Are Cold Air Intakes (CAI's) Legal in CA / NY?

Old 09-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Are Cold Air Intakes (CAI's) Legal in CA / NY?

Hey everyone,

Do you know if CAI's are legal in CA / NY? I currently live in CA and will be moving to NY in about a year, and I know that I will not have to worry about any smog check, but if I get pulled over I don't want a stupid ticket for it...

After I move to NY, I am obviously going to keep my beautiful G coupe, so if I have the CAI (either Injen or Stillen), will I pass the yearly inspection? Do they even look at the CAI?

Thanks everyone,

Jaime

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson
Old 09-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Re: Are Cold Air Intakes (CAI's) Legal in CA / NY?

Thanks bro,

I used to live in NY, and have been living in Cali for 3 years now... Cali is great but NY is the [censored], so I am gonna head back in about a year... I don't know what you mean when you say the CAI has to "carb approved." What do you need to do so that it is carb approved? Thanks

Jaime

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson
Old 09-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Re: Are Cold Air Intakes (CAI's) Legal in CA / NY?

Due to high levels of SMOG and other toxins found in LA's air and surroundings, Cali has one of the stringest inpsection standards. This is why they do not want you to modify your car in any way or form that will or I should really say "may" make the problem any worse.

A CARB sticker which stands for California Air Resources Board, states that the modification and or part you're installing has been tested and will not increase and or modify the vehicles emissions levels. To people living in Cali this is VERY important, becouse if you are caught in a "tuned up" car, the cops can and will often ask for you to pop open your hood, where they will be begin to look for aftermarket parts and the corosponding CARB sticker. If you do not have the right CARB stickers, you'll be issued a slue of tickets.

In NY you don't have to worry about CARB stickers. Modifications such as intakes, and whatnot will not effect your emissions to such a point where you wont pass a NY state inspestion. The standards for emissions are strict here as well, but not as strict as those in Cali.