Power steering pump pulley squeak? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Power steering pump pulley squeak?

Power steering pump pulley squeak?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Power steering pump pulley squeak?

Hey guys, new to the forum and just picked up a 2006 G35 coupe 6mt about a week ago. Test drive went great with no noises. About two days after bringing it home the power steering pump pulley began to squeak upon start up. I bought some white lithium grease spray and when it does it I can spray it and it stops, but when I shut the car off and start it up again it starts to squeak.
Now the sound is just coming from the pulley itself, but is this a sign that I should replace the power steering pump?
Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Thanked 1,233 Times in 997 Posts
Absolutely not, if the squeak goes away when you spray the LG on the pulley it's not the pump. You could also tighten that belt up a bit or unbolt the nut on the pullley and re-tighten it. Those might help or you might just need to replace the pulley. Our cars aren't known to have many, if any, pulley issues. The LS2 on my GTO however is a completely different story. Less than 40K and I have a developing issue with one of mine squeaking.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Is the squeaking rhythmic or pretty smooth? You could have a pulley alignment issue. Typically this is checked by running a staight edged ruler along the crank and other pulleys at various points in their rotation (by marking them) and,making sure they stay in line. You can also buy a laser alignment checking tool for around $120. It is a bit cramped in the front of our engine bay for fitting a straight edge in there along the pulley without removing the airbox intake extender that sits on top of the upper radiator support.

Remove the belt and check the PS pump for play in the pulley too. You should have no play other than rotational.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Okay sounds good guys thanks. It's been raining yesterday and today so when the weather clears up I'll definitely get out there and check the pulley itself. Glad to hear it's not the pump.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Usually if you spray the belt and it goes away you just need a new belt. Take the belt off and spin it freely and see if it still does it. You might be able to replace just the pulley.