Originally Posted by seansG35 View Post
what do you guys have for baby seats?!?
my rear facing graco is just driving me crazy
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 AM
In pink for my baby girl

Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I use this one rear facing.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL. Very slim and you can easily fit 3 across and it is good till they are 85lbs. The new ones is good till 120lbs. You won't be wasting money and space on other chairs. The new ones are called Diono Radian. They are all internal metal tube construction with extremely high safety ratings. Even higher than what is required in America.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Diono RXT Radiant

Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Premier Member
What he said x100,000,000,000. BUY THE DIONO (formerly Sunshine Kids).

It is hands down the best forward-facing seat for the G coupe, or for most anything for that matter. It WILL NOT WORK IN REAR FACING MODE. Its simply too tall and the passenger front seat is in the way.

Prior to that, the rear-facing seat I used was a Graco SnugRide. But I ditched that at 12 months because I have a super tall kid. He's happier facing forward and less temperamental now that he has a good view of everything.

I really preferred the SnugRide because it made ingress/egress so much easier for my kid. Just tilt the seat and pop him into the base. With the Diono I have to contort myself a little to get him seated, but the passenger seat now can go all the way back, giving me a better view to the right. He'll be seating himself soon enough anyway.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. If you decide to buy your seat locally (got mine at Buy Buy Baby), ask if they match Amazon pricing. Buy Buy Baby did for me and saved me something like $80 off their in-store price.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansG35 View Post
my rear facing graco is just driving me crazy
What's driving you crazy about it Sean? Is it an install thing or a fit thing?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Britax makes the very best seats. They are the most expensive, but ultra high quality.

They are to car seats what Weber is to barbeques.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM
I have a sedan so rear facing the radian was no issue at all and that is how I kept it for the longest time and even longer than other seats would have allowed due to weight or height restrictions. What I loved was how the front seat is able to go all the way back without affecting when you are front facing along with how small the footprint of the seat is. Quality of the seat is amazing and feel built to last for a long time. Also you can fold it slim and wear it like a backpack when you are traveling in the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz67 View Post
Britax makes the very best seats. They are the most expensive, but ultra high quality.

Are you telling me they have higher safety ratings than what is required by NCAP

Diono car seats exceed federal crash standards and consistently achieve the highest ratings in the industry. Our car seats are side impact tested and NCAP tested. Diono is the only car seat maker to reveal our crash test results. Please visit our Safety Center to review crash test videos and test results.

Last edited by faiz23; 06-06-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 AM

This.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz23 View Post
I
Are you telling me they have higher safety ratings than what is required by NCAP

Diono car seats exceed federal crash standards and consistently achieve the highest ratings in the industry. Our car seats are side impact tested and NCAP tested. Diono is the only car seat maker to reveal our crash test results. Please visit our Safety Center to review crash test videos and test results.

Our? Do you work for diono?? If so it would be nice to reveal your association when promoting your own product....

edit: Or you know, at least use quotes or some distinction when you're pulling it from their site, especially when it isn't even directly from where you linked.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Even though you find a seat that fits; how comfortable is the passenger in the seat upfront? How much of a pain is it to get the child in/out of the seat? I have a baby boy on the way July 26th and I'm seriously debating selling my coupe for something that would make life easier. My wife has a graco that fits in her 4 door mazda 3, I need to try and see if that fits in the G. I heard others made it work but not sure what model/type they had. I'm not even sure which one we have lol.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Even the best marketted or "safest" seat in the world that exceeds any national crash testing will be useless if not properly installed or fitted for the particular seat structure or child. Harnesses configured properly over the shoulder, chest clips at armpit level and sufficiently tightened-

When you go to find the seat you want, ask the dealer / seller (whatever it is) to test fit the seat in the car you want to use (the most). Consider whether it's something you want to move between cars or just have specifically in one car.

You also have a couple different attachment options to choose from- but don't think that UAS / LATCH is BETTER than a seatbelt because it isn't... the only thing different in the amount of safety provided is which is used to make the seat sit with required tightness. Sometimes seatbelts (typically with a ratchet system or self locking system in just about all passenger vehicles less than 10 years old) will allow the seat to sit better than the equivalent LATCH equipped vehicle. Sometimes bases can be taken off to allow for fitiment in a narrower seat.

Rear facing seats are allowed a bit more leeway (2" side to side) for tightness because of the way they're designed to respond in a crash. Forward facing seats need to be very snug with no play while boosters are simply used to lift an older child into a traditional vehicle seatbelt.

So whether you buy a 400 dollar seat or a 180 dollar seat like a 3 way Alpha-Omega (one of my favourite to see)... yes- steel framing is all great and everything but if it doesn't fit in the car, or it isn't properly secured you aren't any further ahead.

ALL seats fon the market properly certified by respective agencies (we have different standards in Canada) has passed the required testing and are worthy of consideration based on your need and the fit in your vehicle. To be honest, some of the worst installed seats I've ever seen were the more expensive variety because parents simply assumed that no matter how it was installed into the car it would be safe. The second worst (if you're wondering) were often 15 year old car seats reportedly "bought at a garage sale" in an 80k dollar SUV...

Don't buy a used car seat (not that you would- just reaffirming)... and remember seats are designed to be facing in specific orientations- sometimes they're designed for 2 or even 3... but a seat designed ONLY to be facing forward and as a booster can NOT be used rear facing (not because it's too tall or doesn't fit... because it isn't DESIGNED to be.)

Don't think that using the LATCH AND the seatbelt are a good idea... and don't confuse the LATCH with the tether. Don't think you need to secure your booster seat with the LATCH... Don't use the tether with your booster seat.

These are all just a variety of common mistakes... Sometimes it's tough as a parent to ask the question because you're afraid to think that someone will judge. "What?! You didn't ALREADY know that?!"
The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:
MADtotheA (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno View Post
Even the best marketted or "safest" seat in the world that exceeds any national crash testing will be useless if not properly installed or fitted for the particular seat structure or child. Harnesses configured properly over the shoulder, chest clips at armpit level and sufficiently tightened-

When you go to find the seat you want, ask the dealer / seller (whatever it is) to test fit the seat in the car you want to use (the most). Consider whether it's something you want to move between cars or just have specifically in one car.

You also have a couple different attachment options to choose from- but don't think that UAS / LATCH is BETTER than a seatbelt because it isn't... the only thing different in the amount of safety provided is which is used to make the seat sit with required tightness. Sometimes seatbelts (typically with a ratchet system or self locking system in just about all passenger vehicles less than 10 years old) will allow the seat to sit better than the equivalent LATCH equipped vehicle. Sometimes bases can be taken off to allow for fitiment in a narrower seat.

Rear facing seats are allowed a bit more leeway (2" side to side) for tightness because of the way they're designed to respond in a crash. Forward facing seats need to be very snug with no play while boosters are simply used to lift an older child into a traditional vehicle seatbelt.

So whether you buy a 400 dollar seat or a 180 dollar seat like a 3 way Alpha-Omega (one of my favourite to see)... yes- steel framing is all great and everything but if it doesn't fit in the car, or it isn't properly secured you aren't any further ahead.

ALL seats fon the market properly certified by respective agencies (we have different standards in Canada) has passed the required testing and are worthy of consideration based on your need and the fit in your vehicle. To be honest, some of the worst installed seats I've ever seen were the more expensive variety because parents simply assumed that no matter how it was installed into the car it would be safe. The second worst (if you're wondering) were often 15 year old car seats reportedly "bought at a garage sale" in an 80k dollar SUV...

Don't buy a used car seat (not that you would- just reaffirming)... and remember seats are designed to be facing in specific orientations- sometimes they're designed for 2 or even 3... but a seat designed ONLY to be facing forward and as a booster can NOT be used rear facing (not because it's too tall or doesn't fit... because it isn't DESIGNED to be.)

Don't think that using the LATCH AND the seatbelt are a good idea... and don't confuse the LATCH with the tether. Don't think you need to secure your booster seat with the LATCH... Don't use the tether with your booster seat.

These are all just a variety of common mistakes... Sometimes it's tough as a parent to ask the question because you're afraid to think that someone will judge. "What?! You didn't ALREADY know that?!"
Good info here. I've never had a baby before and I am paranoid as crap about this. Thanks buddy!