I fixed my sticky clutch pedal - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • I fixed my sticky clutch pedal

I fixed my sticky clutch pedal

Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I fixed my sticky clutch pedal

Hello guys/gals. Been lurking on this forum for about a year, and have benefited from the wealth of knowledge. Solved my soft/sticky clutch problem, so I figured I would contribute and help those who may have had the same issue as me.

Got my 05 6mt coupe about a year ago, and started experiencing the sticky clutch pedal a couple months into ownership. While driving, the clutch pedal would gradually cease to return to the top. I noticed that the longer I would drive, the more slack would develop in the pedal. On one particularly long commute, the pedal sunk so much, I couldnt gear it anymore. The next day it returned to normal though..

I thoroughly flushed the clutch line and even though it seemed to me temp wasn't a factor, I switched to DOT 4 anyway. After bleeding, I adjusted the pedal and it worked perfectly. But a week or two later the problem returned again. And randomly when I would first get into the car the pedal would be all the way to the floor. I would have to pump it to get just enough pressure to work my clutch. Not good. Not knowing what the problem was, I bled the line every weekend. Went to the dealership to see what they would say and got the same bad clutch/pressure plate BS answer everyone with this problem seems to get. translation: "We dont know, but we'll charge you two grand to guess" YA RIGHT I had an ACT w/ less than 30,000 on it at the time.

Long story short, two separate but simultaneous problems were causing all of my clutch woes. First there was a leak in my clutch line. I suspect that it was very tiny at first, allowing air to seep into the line but not big enough to cause a noticeable leak. However after continual clutch bleeding and usage, it grew until I began to notice some fluid around the heat shield wrapping (or whatever it is) surrounding the line underneath the car. Eventually it affected the fluid level in the reservoir requiring me to refill every week or so. After replacing the line however, my pedal was still soft at the top, requiring me to pull it up with my foot after every shift. Then I noticed the second, less-obvious problem. The lock nut behind the adjustment rod had wiggled loose, causing the little rod to turn freely and drop my pedal (just like the clutch pedal adjustment mod ppl do to make the engagement point lower). So I adjusted it again by turning the rod the opposite direction and my pedal returned sharply to the top every time. A week later the pedal started getting soft again, so I went to adjust it and found the nut had wiggled loose again. A little blue loctite and my clutch pedal worries are gone for good!

Hope this helps someone. With both problems going on at the same time it really confused me..
The Following User Says Thank You to athens_murder'd For This Useful Post:
RDP1001 (08-25-2014)
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 AM
I had a similar problem with my 07 350z. Clutch peddle kept dropping straight to the floor! Ended up being a bad clutch master cylinder. Dealer replaced it under warranty and I never had that problem again.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
It happens to me only when it's hot outside
Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info. The last couple inches on the top end of my clutch pedal travel is weak as well. I'll look into this.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
^
dude I'm almost CERTAIN it will make your pedal crisp
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Hmm..... you're the second person in the past few days to post something on here about their G having a leak in the clutch line. I hope this doesn't start to become a more prevalent problem with the masses of G35's out there.

How much did a new clutch line cost you?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 AM
I think like $20
just an OEM one
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athens_murder'd View Post
I think like $20
just an OEM one
Just curious... how many miles did you have on your car when it first started exhibiting the sticky-clutch behavior?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 AM
like 66K

if prev owner experienced it, he didnt tell me
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athens_murder'd View Post
like 66K

if prev owner experienced it, he didnt tell me
Interesting. I bought mine with 67,500 on it. The previous owner said the clutch started to feel 'mushy' so he had the dealer replace the fluid and bleed the system to bring it back to feeling normal. I'll get it up on the lift and look for leaks as well.

EDIT: I have about 72,000 on it now.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
let me know how it goes
Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
This happened to my wife, replaced the clutch line with a stainless one back in November. I'm deployed, so I can't do anything about it right now. She says there's no visible leak.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Sticky clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyG35 View Post
I had a similar problem with my 07 350z. Clutch peddle kept dropping straight to the floor! Ended up being a bad clutch master cylinder. Dealer replaced it under warranty and I never had that problem again.
This was my recent situation as well. Master cylinder took care of the problem too. Been great since.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Ya I hear many have had master cylinder failures as well as other issues

I guess there are many causes of mushy pedal
which is why I posted mine

maybe after swapping the m/c, the problem was really fixed by the subsequent adjustment of the pedal/pushrod