Fender Pull--gone wrong!!! - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Fender Pull--gone wrong!!!

Fender Pull--gone wrong!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Fender Pull--gone wrong!!!

As the title states, my fender pulling to fit my wheels, gone wrong!
Let me start by saying that I before I got my car painted, I took my car to a tuner shop in my area. I have spoke with the owner and told him that I want my fenders rolled front and back (I didn't have the access to the Eastwood roller at the time). Was quoted $45 per panel.

Dropped off my car at the shop and a few hours later got a call that it was ready to be picked up. I thought that was a pretty good turn around...that's what happens when you got the proper tools, right??? WRONG!!!

Once I've picked the car up, I've noticed that there was 5-6 dents on one of the rear fenders they rolled (the other side was rolled by my brother at the time of car repairs).
When I've brought that to the owners attention, he said, that there is always a chance of this happening when rolling fenders and that I'm lucky it wasn't worse.

I got home and jacked the car up to see what they did to make those dimples in the rear fender...

Instead of using a fender roller, they cut segments in the fender support and hammered it until its flat, causing dents in that fender.

I was mad, but what's done - is done! Put some bondo over it and painted the car. Out of sight = out of mind.

Not too long ago purchased some T1S wheels with -7, -8 offsets. Once I put them on, I found out that my fenders need some pulling. By now I knew some people that had an Eastwood roller, so I've rented it for the weekend...

this is what a professional fender roller/puller looks like, for those that don't know
Name: 217.jpg
Views: 460
Size: 75.1 KB

The reason why EASTWOOD roller was needed is because this how my rears looked when I just put the wheels on without fenders being pulled
Name: f81b9028-5c90-49b8-886a-.jpg
Views: 334
Size: 66.9 KB

Pulled the passenger side, with some MINOR clacks in paint and clear coat (the reason for cracked paint was only because there was some bondo work on that fender)
IF properly done with heat guy and some time, it is possible to avoid all the damage to the paint of your car.

Now it was time to go to the other side. Got the fender roller mounter and started to pull slowly, while heating it up. But the more I rolled and pulled the fender the more I've started to see more of this....

As soon as I saw the cracks, I've realized what was happening. When ever the shop but the fender support on the inside, as they rolled the fender, caused my paint/CC to crack at the places where the cut was made.

I WAS PISSED at that point but I knew that if I don't get the proper pull, I won't be able to run the wheels, so now I HAD to proceed. So by the time I got the pull I needed on that rear fender, it looked like this...

all because of this...

Now, I will have to sand that fender down, put more bondo and repaint my drivers rear panel.

The reason I took time to write this up, was because not all users here have experience with fender work and not many see what could happen when you decide to run aggressive set up with wheels.

BOTTOM LINE: I've learned that even a good tuner shop can do you wrong if you don't know what to expect. Do your research, know your risks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 207.jpg (82.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by muhtish; 05-01-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: updating pictures that were moved to a different folder in photobucket
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Yikes, another horror fender rolling story?!! I was really worried when I got mine done, was sure to clarify them that were using a eastwood fender roller and were heating the paint to prevent cracks. They still warned me that it's not 100% that no cracks would develop, but I was lucky enough to not have any issues.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Sorry to see this. I was taught to only cut the fenders when your doing a widebody, you cut more of the fender, but ya know.... I'm still super sorry to see they jacked it up.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 AM
all you needed was a little camber. i would be pissed man.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Main reason why i didn't install my coilovers yet, so worried about dropping my car off at a shop to roll my fenders.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
ouch! that sucks so much.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
smh...
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Jeez dude. I would blast that shop all over the web saying how they messed up your car. Unless the owner said anything to you about it being possibly damaged with pulling/rolling you are entitled to go after them. I would report them to the BBB and see if there's anything that can be done. Yes it's a speed shop, and yes there are risks but even then they have to be 110% confident they can do it without messing it up, not doing it the half *** way. I'm assuming you didn't pay for services?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Yeah, did they end up charging you for any of this???
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM
that sucks, I had issues with my roll due to rusting, I ended up cracking most of the paint on the lip and the rust was so bad on one side a 8" section of the lip broke off completely ftl
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
I am still drooling over the wheels... someone said something about cracked fender camber?
Name: f81b9028-5c90-49b8-886a-.jpg
Views: 1136
Size: 66.9 KB
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I had my rears rolled at a local shop with a fender roller. They did a great job but I still had some cracks, luckily they were all on the inside of the fender so not a biggie I just sealed w some paint...

Sad to see all the troubles you went through but a good write up.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Seriously looks boss with those wheels...sorry about the fenders man...but mayyyaannnn nice wheels
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM
ouch! I'm glad us SoCalers have Shane