How do you check over a used G35 before buying? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • How do you check over a used G35 before buying?

How do you check over a used G35 before buying?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
How do you check over a used G35 before buying?

I'm going to be driving a few hours this weekend to check out (and hopefully pick one up) a couple 2005-2006 G35's and a couple Maximas (still can't make up my mind, I know - strange?! )

I searched for this but couldn't find it - is there a list of things that can be easily checked for on the G35? I've read to check the inside of the tail pipes to see if they're really greasy or dirty, but that's about all my research has given me so far. Any links or tips?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't forget to ask for a Carfax report too.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Open the doors hood and trunk. Look for overspray in the jambs or the cutline where they stopped the new clearcoat. That indicates the car was repainted
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloFva View Post
Don't forget to ask for a Carfax report too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4 View Post
Open the doors hood and trunk. Look for overspray in the jambs or the cutline where they stopped the new clearcoat. That indicates the car was repainted
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not a complete noob with cars - and before buying I would absolutely pay a mechanic or a local Infiniti dealership to do a pre-purchase inspection. I just don't know if there are specific G35 things that would be really obvious show stoppers before I even got to that point. Since I will be driving quite a bit out I just want to be well prepared

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned
Besides the appearance of the car, test drive the car with the stereo off. When you turn on the car, check for any strange start-up noises. Also most G's with over 70k would need to have the valve cover replaced because of oil leaking onto the plugs. And that alone is a 700+ repair.

Listen to any creaking, squeaking noises. That would be a sign of bad compression bushings which there is a TSB out for it. Most likely the car is out of warranty and you would have to shell out another 300+ to get those replaced.

Check to see if the windows roll up and down smoothly, sunroof works, and check to see if the door locks work when you press the buttons. These are stuff the craps out most of the time in our cars. (Google G35 window motor fail, door lock fail, etc etc.).

Check the seats for any tears, rips etc etc. Our leather seat are prone to ripping especially near the area where the leather meets the plastic panels on the outer bottom edge.

Also check the oil level as a few G's (mostly 05+ 6mt's) but even some 03+ automatics have had their engine replaced due to oil consumption. So make sure the oil level is good before you test drive the car.

You don't want a car that looks good on the outside, but ends up in the shop most of the time.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
I would definitely suggest taking it to an Infiniti dealership. It was $50 bucks at my dealership, but completely worth it when considering dropping a few grand on a car. They go over pretty much anything, they'll check when it last came through the dealership for fluid changes, they can tell you if the compression rod bushings are shot, etc.. Beyond that, like stated above, try to figure out if it is consuming oil.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 PM
also if u not gonna go to a infiniti dealership give 1 a call with the VIN # etc and they can tell u what options it has and if it has been taken care of well through Infiniti/Nissan Dealers.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
So, what do you do if it's an Infiniti/Nissan dealer selling the car??
Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 PM
ask them for a carfax since they provide it for free and ask for its options on the car and service history if it has been serviced via them
Old 08-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
ask them for a carfax since they provide it for free and ask for its options on the car and service history if it has been serviced via them
Having been shopping on Cars.com and AutoTrader for about a month or so now, I was pleasantly surprised to see that about 2/3 of dealers now offer either CarFax or AutoCheck reports for free directly on those car sites or on their dealership's websites. Unfortunately any time I see what seems to be a good deal, it's a car that's been in an accident. So many of them!!

I'm just thinking that, if you're buying a car from an Infiniti dealer, there's really nothing you can do except take it to an independent mechanic, who may or may not know something about G35's
Old 08-17-2010, 03:16 PM
You can also get an Autocheck report and see if there's any discrepancies between it and the Carfax. When I bought my car used at the dealer I forgot to ask for the service records, it was used as a courtesy shuttle for a while, and was mechanically sound so I didn't really give it much thought.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMustache View Post
You can also get an Autocheck report and see if there's any discrepancies between it and the Carfax. When I bought my car used at the dealer I forgot to ask for the service records, it was used as a courtesy shuttle for a while, and was mechanically sound so I didn't really give it much thought.
Yeah since I never step foot into a dealer, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask. I've done all the usual (and not so usual) work on my GM and my parents' Toyota cars over the years. I guess I'm stepping into a world where most people take their cars to dealers for service
Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Even if you get a CarFax, I would still check it over really well for any signs of repair. I bought mine Certified Preowned from Infiniti with a clean CarFax and I still noticed months later that the rear bumper has been repainted. It's something I could have noticed before buying if I would have looked closer for overspray.

The main things I would check are bushings, oil level, all switches, and the hood hinges. My hood made a popping noise when I opened it which is the first sign of hinges going bad. I found out later that it's very common on these cars and can be prevented if you catch it early.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Check out the TSB's.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuEraRacing View Post
Check out the TSB's.
Link?