Nail in tire - best repair?? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Nail in tire - best repair??

Nail in tire - best repair??

Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Nail in tire - best repair??

Not really Infiniti specific, but I have a screw stuck right in the middle of my tire (on the tread, not the sidewall thank God). Can't tell how long it is but I am assuming it goes through. Is it best to have the tire pulled off the rim and patched at a tire shop, or maybe use one of those self-sealing goo products, or do gas stations still do the plug-n-patch thing? Haven't had to deal with this kind of thing in years so not sure what the best thing to do is. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM
depending on how big the hole is, the best way is to have the tire removed and patched from the inside. i learned this the hard way; had a huge screw pulled out; gas station "patched it up." started losing air and had to visit the air pump like once a week. took it to a real tire place and had it done a second time but done correctly.

still loses a bit of air, tho.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
you don't want to use fix a flat if your car has tpms.

gas stations still do the plug thing but having it takien off and patched from the inside is best. America's tire will patch it for free.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
from experience, don't use those fix-a-flat, green slime, etc. I really hate the people who invented these things but I went through h3ll to fix my leak. They're only good to get your car to a tire shop, but a donut would be the best way for that.

Some harden inside, and some stay in liquid form ...but either way it creates and heavy spot inside your tire, even if you just use "a little". It'll cause shaking at certain speeds and impossible to rebalance until you remove all of it out.

Best thing to do is a patch. If you like...do both, a patch AND a plug.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Definitely take it to a real professional tire shop. It'll be worth all the headaches in the end.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Ohio G Club moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremaster View Post
depending on how big the hole is, the best way is to have the tire removed and patched from the inside. i learned this the hard way; had a huge screw pulled out; gas station "patched it up." started losing air and had to visit the air pump like once a week. took it to a real tire place and had it done a second time but done correctly.

still loses a bit of air, tho.
+1 ive heard this is the best and safest way to do it as well
Old 03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Patch is the best, but i've used the plugs myself with great sucess. Every tire i've plugged has held air fine until the end of the life of the tire.

I pull the nail and use the rasp to clean the hole, then i insert a plug, pull it through and fill with air and trim off the excess. I've done it about a dozen or so times on tires on vehicles i've owned or family memebers. Each has held up fine.

But again, a patch is the best way to go, but i keep a plug kit in my trunk and have used it on the side of the road a few times with a small plug in air compressor. My time is valuable and i can swap on the spare or plug a tire in 15 mins. AAA likes to lollygag and to be honest I don't want them touching my car
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I've had this on other cars and only had it fixed at the local Bridgestone/Goodyear/whatever service center. It shouldn't cost more than $50 or so and the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:39 AM
A 5 inch nail got stuck in one of the tires of my dad's dodge durango.

I brought it to the shop and after the guy pulled out the nail with some pliers, he stuck some kinda tar in the hole and lit it on fire for several seconds. Is that normal patching?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:43 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com
take it to a discount/america's tire and have it patched the right way. and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont use fix-a-flat or the green slime... it hardly ever holds and is a pain in the a$$ for people like me who work at tire shops to clean out and then patch the tire. Dont use it, ESPECIALLY if you have TPMS in your wheels.
-GP-
Old 03-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrh View Post
A 5 inch nail got stuck in one of the tires of my dad's dodge durango.

I brought it to the shop and after the guy pulled out the nail with some pliers, he stuck some kinda tar in the hole and lit it on fire for several seconds. Is that normal patching?

That's a tire plug
Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Take it to a tire shop and get it patched like everyone said.

I would never use that fix-a-flat or slime garbage. That crap just cakes the inside of the rim, throwing it off balance and eventually disintegrates over time and will leak. It really pisses off tire guys when they break the bead and get a nasty suprise. Ive heard stories from friends who work at NTB and Discount tire of people using 2-3 bottles of fix-a-flat to "patch" a tire...not fun for the tire mechanics.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I took it over to Kauffman Tire and they did it the right way (removed it, patched it and re-balanced it) and they did it for free!