what and who uses mid grade octane - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • what and who uses mid grade octane

what and who uses mid grade octane

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM
what and who uses mid grade octane

What are the mid grade fuels used for. I have my G coupe and Armada I use regular for the Armada and premium for my G so who uses the mid grade. Or should I use it for my Armada
Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 AM
I would use regular on the Armada, unless midgrade is required. There should be a label on your gas door that says what it needs.

The biggest reason to use premium on the G is that you are gonna lose HP without it. Since the G's engine is pushed pretty hard, it requires a higher grade fuel. Midgrade is for decently powered engines, like my Mom's 5.7L jeep, midgrade is reccomended.

Just keep the premium for the G and reg. on Armada. The only time I would ever upgrade to premium on the Armada is if you need to tow something or have a ****load of heavy luggage and could use a couple horses extra.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 AM
any one notice that the cheaper one with ethonol has a higher octain level than regular? why is that?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:20 AM
yes lose power and also will effect your MPG
Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
well, here is what i do.. for example I put gas in my car about every week, which is 4 weeks... I put the highest octane I can get at the gas station and ride with not a problem.. when i'm almost on E i'll put the regular gas in it (yea i know what yall gonna say that i'm messing up the engine). So after that runs out I'll put the premium gas in it.. I have not felt no difference in the performance of the car (and i drive it like i stole it); however, i do keep an eye on the Gas mileage and based on the numbers I can drive about 300 MPG on the cheap stuff and with the premium I can about 280 - 290 MPG . So in total I use both and see no effects on performance however, out of the 4 times for gas 3 of them are premium and 1 cheap stuff (low grade gas)
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I use mid-grade as a sort of compromise between power and economy. I feel no effect either in performance or fuel economy.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF21
What are the mid grade fuels used for. I have my G coupe and Armada I use regular for the Armada and premium for my G so who uses the mid grade. Or should I use it for my Armada
what: Cars that ping when using regular unleaded, whether due to age or other issues.

who: The owners of those cars.

Myth: I get more power if I use a higher octane fuel.

Truth: You gain nothing by using a higher octane fuel than for what the engine was designed.

Explanation: Higher octane does not mean the fuel contains the ability to produce more power. Higher octane does mean it is less susceptible to precombustion. What that means is, if your car supports it, the computer can advance timing for more power production safely, or avoiding pinging.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljoker
any one notice that the cheaper one with ethonol has a higher octain level than regular? why is that?
Ethanol has an octane rating of 110 or higher so I'm guessing that's the reason.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdoinitwrong
Ethanol has an octane rating of 110 or higher so I'm guessing that's the reason.
Higher octane, but less chemical energy, thus lower power and mileage compared to non ethanol based additives
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97
Higher octane, but less chemical energy, thus lower power and mileage compared to non ethanol based additives
You are correct. That is why I only referred to the octane rating. I sell E85 vehicles and always explain what you said to my customers. Many people seem to put E85 vehicles into the same category as hybrids because it's a biofuel, thus believing they will achieve better mpg. They are usually a little deflated when they learn there is less energy in ethanol than gasoline. I show them the window sticker as well that compares the driving range of gasoline versus E85. At current fuel prices (at least in Indiana) they soon figure out that it will cost them more to use E85.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Octane has nothing to do with the amount of energy is available.

Ethanol is added to gasoline because it is rich in oxygen, therefore burns cleaner and leaves less harmful emissions. That is why the the gasoline companies secretly add ethanol to their gas during the winter months.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I've wondered what the mid grade fuel is for as well... on some cars I've had it tells you to use 91 octane, while others recommend 87. Never once had to put in 89 though!