ABS, SLIP and DFC Off Lights on + Limp Mode Problem - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • ABS, SLIP and DFC Off Lights on + Limp Mode Problem

ABS, SLIP and DFC Off Lights on + Limp Mode Problem

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM
ABS, SLIP and DFC Off Lights on + Limp Mode Problem

I am new to the forum and I have had a 2003.5 G35 for 3 months. I have searched the forum and while I have parts of this I have not seen my situation come up. The G35 has 80K Km on it and other than this issue runs great. Twice in the past 3 weeks have had the car go into limp mode (will not rev past 1000rpm) and the ABS, SLIP and DFC Off lights come on when I start up the car after it has rained. The first time car was parked in the carport and it was raining but the car was not getting rained on. After trying a number of times restarting the car hoping to get it running normally I just sat in the car while it was running and it resolved the problem by itself. The ABS, SLIP and DFC Off lights went off and the car stopped being in limp mode. I went the dealership later that week and they informed me that there were no error codes of any type. This past week the same situation happened. The car was sitting outside in the rain for two days (not being driven, just being parked) and when we came to start it, the three lights came on and the car was in limp mode. Could not get it out of the situation until the following day, when after starting the car and letting it run for 5 minutes, it solved the problem by itself. I took the car into the dealership later that day and again no error codes of any type.
The dealership have had the car, spraying water in the engine bay and cannot duplicate the problem. We have also driven the car through raining conditions for a day and no problems.

When the car was in limp mode, I tried starting it up with the gas peddle down. The car would start out at say 3000rpm (for 1-2 seconds) but would then drop down to 1000rpm and not go past that.

The tires are standard and brake fluid level is good. I thought the MAF or one of the sensors somewhere was having a problem but I would expect there would be some code indicating that or the car would run rough.

I am thinking I may need to purchase a fault code reader (maybe a N607) but not certain if I will get any codes being generated.

It seems that some water is getting in somewhere and letting the car run solves the problem but not certain. I really want to solve it as I am concerned the car will flip into limp mode one time when we are driving it.

So I would appreciate any and all help concerning what the problem may be.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Well the first place I would start. Is try to disconnect some of the sensor connectors. Mainly the cam and crank sensors. And look inside the plug in them selves. See if there's and water the the sensor plug in or the connectors.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks I will take a look at them but I was thinking about how the car fixed itself. The sensor causing the problem would likely have to dry out. So I am wondering what sensors that can cause the car to go into limp mode either get enough heat or air movement to dry out, MAF, cam? But I am wondering will not a cam or MAF sensor problem not leave a code the dealer would be able to read.

When I get my car back next week (hoping the rain this weekend will cause the problem). I will also check the new air filter that was installed to see if any moisture can get inside.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
I find it difficult to believe your car went into limp mode and threw these warnings without a error code. Raining... what size and shape are your tires in? Odd ball size tires, bald or cheap tires will give you the limp mode results you're experiencing in wet weather.
Gary
Old 10-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi Gary:
Tell me about it. I found it strange as well. Tires are 215/55/17 Michelin V rated in great shape. Also the car was not moving, it was parked for a day or for a couple of days. That is the strange part as well.

Concerning the code scans, the dealer first used the portable Nissan/Infiniti to look at the codes and got nothing. The second time they used their Consult III and did various tests, again nothing. Gave them the car Friday and it rained all night Friday plus they sprayed the engine area/wheels with water hoping they could the problem. The car did not go into limp mode. I have been running computer departments for the last 25 years and I always hated having someone with a problem that could not be easily duplicated. Looks like the same situation with our G35.

This is why I am thinking of getting something like the N607. Think I likely need to get more info as it is happening.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM
I just want to give an update. The car was/still is at the dealership and they finally saw the problem (after letting the car stay outside in the rain for a couple of days). The three lights came on and the car was in limp mode. The funny thing is they got no codes other than a low battery. They also saw the problem disappear after the car was running for a short while. They checked out the alternator (sprayed water on it, etc) but could not duplicate the problem. They are going to check out the abs sensors as well but it has got them stumped so far.