Has anyone ever corrected a P0011 and P0021 error code? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Has anyone ever corrected a P0011 and P0021 error code?

Has anyone ever corrected a P0011 and P0021 error code?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Has anyone ever corrected a P0011 and P0021 error code?

Hey everyone,

For the past few years my 2007 G35 has had intermittent P0011 and P0021 error codes. I've taken it to several mechanics but no one can seem to figure out the root cause of the codes. While the codes do disappear for a few days, they always come back.

Anyways, my car is now unable to fully pass smog because of the codes and I am wondering at this point if it would make more economic sense to sell the car rather than mess around with repairs. While I looked around online a bit, I didn't see many success stories of people getting rid of these codes.

Has anyone here had any luck, and, if so, do you know what the approximate costs of repair(s) were?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
put those two codes in the search feature and world of knowledge awaits............Your CEL is only linked to sensors. Camshaft sensors, Variable Timing solenoid, O2 sensors are some to name a few that throw that code on an OBD reader. You may want to pay a diagnostic fee to a dealer /mechanic with an infiniti specific tool to see the exact codes. From your post checking for faulty sensors aint your thing if your going to sell your G for a CEL.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Page 166-170 The possible causes are listed on page 167

Common issue if you search. Google search "G35 p0011 p0021". Some talk about replacing a seal to cure the codes.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-24-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 AM
my research into these pain in the *** codes

P0011 is: Intake Cam Position Timing Over Advanced - Bank 1

Possible Causes:
Incorrect camshaft timing
VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit

P0012 is: Variable Camshaft Timing Over Retarded - Bank 1

Possible Causes:
Incorrect camshaft timing
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit

P0011 and P0021-The comprehensive component monitor, referred to as the CCM, monitors the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) position for over-advanced cam timing. If the cam timing exceeds a maximum calibrated limit or is stuck in an advanced position, the check engine light will come on and set this trouble code.

Possible causes include; Incorrect camshaft timing
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit. These codes usually result in rough idle, stall or hard start.
A P0011 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following: Incorrect camshaft timing Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

1. 2 seal rings on the back of the cam cover (13035HC)

2. cam position sensors
3. Clean or replace vct solenoids
http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/g35-cou...on-sensor.html
4. crank position sensor
5. Low oil, too thin oil
6. Check all fuses
7. Check all grounding esp timing cover x2
8. Check timing chain firing

9. Excessive rtv gasket blocking the oil passages and not getting to the cam gear
10. (ohm meter and they were 7.7-7.8 ohms each), ground and apply 12v to see if they open
11. Check power at the plug (must rev motor to 2k+ for the plugs to have voltage)
12. Check flywheel if installed just before the errors started has been installed correctly

13. Another pic that shows a seal in the timing tensioner area (just to the bottom left of the top right cam sprocket)
image attached u can see half the gasket falling out

p0300. The VTC solenoid gets energized at 2k+ RPM. This pushes a little piston into a resevior of oil. Through some mechanism, this rotates the intake cams and changes the timing. The piston in my solenoid was getting stuck in the energized position, even when the RPMs dropped and the voltage to the solenoid was not being applied. This means the cam timing was advanced on one bank and not on the other. At this poing the ECU and physical cam timing were on different pages, causing a misfire
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 AM

Also my errors (with my haltech plug and play ecu) went from solid constant errors to just sometimes flicking on for a sec then off once my fuel pressure was fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone ever corrected a P0011 and P0021 error code?-kssuw.jpg

Last edited by R6n350GT; 10-29-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 PM
i have the p0011 code on my G my oil was low but i dont see a leak.i changed the oil . i need help im new to this car.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:32 AM
Premier Member
I had constant P0011 issues with my first Maxima, never could figure it out. But it seemed to be an issue most often if I hit the rev limiter or the tires spun excessively on cold pavement. Then my car would do into limp home mode until I pulled over, turned off my car, turned it on, cleared the code, then restarted it. Oil level was always fine, pulled and cleaned the VCT solenoids, changed the cam position sensors, etc. Nothing seemed to work long term.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 AM
With a help of a few forums I will share my experience with my 2010 g37x

My oil was low and very surprised because usually Royal Purple doesn't burn off that much. But it did probably at least 1 quart maybe 2.. don't know how long I was driving like that but about a few days after I topped it off I got the P0021 code.. After extensive research through forums and on Youtube they said try an oil change first.. I did and the code was still there with same problem.. I reset my ECU by disconnecting the battery and guess what... everything was back to normal.. from some guy on Youtube he said that the solenoid or something expands when the oil pressure is low.. so what I believe happened is it went back to normal after I reset the ECU and with normal oil pressure..
Resetting the ECU was key..