Pulley bearings going bad?? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Pulley bearings going bad??

Pulley bearings going bad??

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Angry Pulley bearings going bad??

Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks I've had a chirping/high pitched soft squeak developing on cold starts. It is not squealing like a belt in need of tensioning. *It originated from what looks to be the idler pulley/alternator pulley area. Took a real good listen around and I think I have it fairly isolated. I took a video to help better covey the noise to you guys. *Im doing a major maintenance in two weeks, so I wanted to go ahead and order any parts I may need now. Take a listen. Any trouble shooting will help greatly!

Additional info, belts were changed at Infiniti 6 months ago. Noise goes away after 20 minutes of driving roughly 55mph. I.e. the noise will often stick around 10-15 minutes after it has been at operating temp. Other times, I have to really get on it doing a customary WOT 1st-2nd high rpm pull for it to go away, and this is after the initial 20 minutes of driving.

TIA.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I needed to replace one of my belt tensioner idler pulleys which was doing a similar thing. I guess they can wear out like any bearing...

While I was at it I removed the redundant idler pulleys on both our '05 and '06 Gs. (EDIT: 05-06 still had the mechanical fan pulley even though it was an electrical fan. Not sure when that change happened... ) Here's a thread on that subject (not my own):
http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/engine-...-mod-pics.html
You need a spacer if you pull the whole thing out, or you can leave that small corner of the bracket if you decide to cut it... I didn't do it myself but the it didn't take the shop much time at all. I can't claim any gain in HP or mileage (Ha!) but it seems like a cleaner layout with the 1" shorted belt.

Last edited by 05_SkylineSedan; 12-05-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Did you ever figure out what this was? My 2007 is making the same noise.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 PM
English dude, English
Mine is once again making that noise. It happens every 2 years for me ever since I went supercharged. I've replaced the idler pulley on the alternator side 3 times now. I'm going on my forth one. The bearings in this little guy suck! At 40 a pop, they aren't cheap either. Thats just for the pulley. I change it out myself since the closest infiniti dealership is 40 min away and I really don't feel like paying for something I can do in 1 hrs time.