when engine is under load it sounds like valves are ticking/rattling - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • when engine is under load it sounds like valves are ticking/rattling

when engine is under load it sounds like valves are ticking/rattling

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
when engine is under load it sounds like valves are ticking/rattling

say 2nd gear or 3rd gear before the wind noise gets too loud.. 50-75% throttle

hear a rattle(s) in the engine... sounds like the valves to me..

I use good quality 93 octane gas and change the oil on time (non-syn)

anyone else have this problem

2005 39K miles
Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I get the rattle/knocking noise when i turn my car off, but never at any high RPM's. Have you checked the oil? or just assume its good from last change? Ive seen some oil get eaten up real fast before the driver even thinks to check it, and loses an engine.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerx1x View Post
I get the rattle/knocking noise when i turn my car off, but never at any high RPM's. Have you checked the oil? or just assume its good from last change? Ive seen some oil get eaten up real fast before the driver even thinks to check it, and loses an engine.
this is the g/f's car.. and its been doing this for a while... atleast a year. it has had many oil changes.. and not any noticeable oil consumption

my nissan truck used to do this some if I used the cheap off brand gas.

sounds either like pinging or the valves are rattling under load

just wondering if anyone else had the problems.. I searched for it and all I found were people that had a ticking sound at idle or when it was cold..
Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
My 05 6mt with 28k miles did this too until the engine was replaced for oil consumption. I want to say that it is piston slap do to poor design (my opinion), but don't quote me on that.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 AM
if ur an 05-06 manual tran. u might have an oil consumption problem. check with your local dealer.

i'm on my second engine replaced already.. errrr
Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 AM
I know just what you're talking about, engine sounds like it's running on cheap fuel. I've also had some oil consumption issues, so I'm taking it to the dealer.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joek19522 View Post
I know just what you're talking about, engine sounds like it's running on cheap fuel. I've also had some oil consumption issues, so I'm taking it to the dealer.
damn!!!!

don't know much about a warranty but does this thing have a typical powertrain warranty for 100K??

I'm going to check the oil level once a week...

does it eat up a quart or so between changes? it doesn't smoke at all
Old 07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem80 View Post
damn!!!!

don't know much about a warranty but does this thing have a typical powertrain warranty for 100K??

warranty for infiniti is 60k powertrain of 4 year i believe. someone correct me if im wrong...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerx1x View Post
I get the rattle/knocking noise when i turn my car off,
i get the rattling noise when i turn off my 06 as well, is this a problem having anything to do with the oil consumption or is it me being paranoid about my baby?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
the basic warranty is 4 year 60k, the powertrain is up to 6? year / 70k
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
mine was doing it I switched to synthetic, ran some fuel treatment and started using bp instead of shell and it went away. Mine would do it when I would get on it around 4500-6000 rpm. Might want to give that a shot. I used the lucas tune up in a bottle and in a mile I could floor it without the knocking.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltoda View Post
the basic warranty is 4 year 60k, the powertrain is up to 6? year / 70k
thanks for the info... I printed out the TSB on oil consumption and she's gonna see what the stealership says

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconklin View Post
mine was doing it I switched to synthetic, ran some fuel treatment and started using bp instead of shell and it went away. Mine would do it when I would get on it around 4500-6000 rpm. Might want to give that a shot. I used the lucas tune up in a bottle and in a mile I could floor it without the knocking.
this is what I want to try... she gets her oil changed at some jiffy lube place.. probably puts in the cheapest oil they have and a ****ty filter...

the lucas helped out a head knock in my 03 cobra before I sold it!!!! lol

I can get her's to make the sound if you put it in 3rd about 20-25mph and floor it.. sounds like an octane/lean issue to me BUT i've been wrong before
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Sounds like your engine is knocking. Try different gas brand, check fuel filter (maybe clogged/low pressure), use a heavier oil.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I can get her's to make the sound if you put it in 3rd about 20-25mph and floor it.. sounds like an octane/lean issue to me BUT i've been wrong before[/QUOTE]

thats what I think it is, since I switched and run the treatment..no problems..I have all the breather mods and will be getting a dyno tune this week so I will post if I was lean
Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
The quality of the BEST US gasoline is dismal compared to the early 1990's! The engineers were forced to blend CHEAPER aand Cheaper as the price of oil increased.
The advent of continuous computer controlled streams has resulted in lower and lower BTU per gallon to stretch oil supplies.

The octane number stickers on the pump are meaningless Marketing wishes, all they tell you is a higher number is higher than a lower number.

Blending in ethanol [at the local tank farm] has allowed the refiners to produce really defective grades and make them appear better thanks to the 2.2 -3.0 octane point boost ethanol adds [SOMETIMES].............cheating the standard test under PERFECT conditions.