DIY: Spark Plug Tube Seal Replacement
1. Disconnect battery Ground (-).
2. Remove the engine cover.
3. Disconnect the MAF sensor and vacuum hose connected to the intake tube.
4. Remove the air intake from the throttle body to the air filter.
5. Remove the upper plenum in reverse order from 18 to 1.
6. Remove the vacuum hose near bolt #13.
7. Lift up and tilt back the upper plenum and hold it up with bungee cords, twine, etc.
8. Remove the vacuum hose from the front of the lower plenum and rear of the upper plenum near the throttle body.
9. Remove the lower plenum in reverse order from 8 to 1.
10. After removing the lower plenum immediately plug the intake holes with paper towels and cover with shop rags to keep debris out of the cylinders.
11. Remove the wire harness bolts to give yourself space to remove the valve covers.
12. Label and remove the coil packs. They must go back exactly where they came from.
13. Remove the vacuum hose in the top front that connects both valve covers together.
14. Start with either the driver side or passenger side valve cover by removing perimeter bolts.
15. After removing all 10 bolts lift up on the valve cover to clear the cam shafts, push back and work out carefully.
16. Once all covers removed, carefully remove gasket material from heads and intake manifold.
17. There's 3 seals per valve cover as seen above, secured by the baffle plate. WARNING!!! DO NOT REMOVE THE BAFFLE PLATES.
18. Secure the valve cover to your drill press and and cover area arounfd the hole your drilling with shop rags to prevent debris from getting behind the baffle plate.
19. Using a 1 7/8in hole saw, drill out a few millimeters deep through the baffle plate.
20. Once the seal is exposed, you may have to drill just slightly larger than 1 7/8in, pop out the seals by flipping the cover over and tapping out.
21. After seals have been removed thoroughly clean the area where the new seals will go, rtv will not stick to oil/debris.
22. Run a small bead of black rtv around the outer groove of the rings and pop in the new seals.
23. After new seals have been inserted run another bead of black rtv around the top of the seal and allow plenty of time to cure.
24. Once cured; Re-assemble valve covers with new gaskets, lower plenum with a new gasket, and upper plenum with a new gasket, air intake and battery Ground (-).
***Be sure all vacuum/coolant lines are reconnected.
***Be very careful when re-attaching the upper plenum not to pinch the oil cap rubber between the upper and lower plenums.
***If you encounter a Check Engine Light, disconnect battery Ground (-) an check all sensors/hoses are properly connected. To reset the CEL, while Ground is disconnected tap the brakes a few times, reconnect Ground and retry.
Send a pm if you need some spark plug tube seals.