So last year I bought a Cusco Type RS LSD (Stock is VLSD) and procrastinated putting it in. Over the winter I will attempt to doit myself.
Most of the procrastination was from the documentation being in Japanese. I've seen a few threads on my350z with guys opening up their diffs, but not real tutorials/steps for them.
I wanna fill that gap. I'll update this as I go through my Cusco LSD Installation. I like to atleast attempt to do things myself. This is one of those things...
The Cusco LSD is a 1.5/2way clutch LSD with adjustable lock-up. The LSD ships as 1.5Way and 60% lockup. The more I read, the more I found out that 60% is good for street, but you atleast want 80%. So I decided I would try 80% which means re-stacking the clutches in the LSD. There are 3 options, 60%, 80% and 100%. 100% being the most agressive. Since the car sees mostly street and some track I've decided to go with 80%.
Documentation and LSD as shipped.
Cam is locked at 1.5way in this config.
My goal, 80%
Marked for future refrence although I don't think it matters.
Pop the top off by un-screwing the 5 hex style bolts that hold it in place located on the opposite side of this picture.
1 by 1 I pulled out the clutches, confirming this infact was shipped as 60% lock-up.
Once the left (I say left because of the orientation in the diagrams.) set of clutches are out, you need to remove the side gear. There are springs (in this particular LSD) so watch where they are. I didn't realize this but put them back in the most logical locations.
I had to give this a tap with a punch/hammer to get it to pop out, It wouldn't slide out by hand...
Once removed, we can now see the spider gear (I think thats the term) or the technical term "Pinion Mate gear".
Remove the other side of the side gear and you see the right (again orientation of the diagram) side of clutches.
You can tip the casing over and out come the clutches
Now you just need to re-stack according to the diagram and configuration you want.
Restacked to 80% as per diagram, with springs installed.
Line up my location markings and screw the casing back together.
There we have it, 1.5Way and 80% lock-up.
Stay tuned for when I pull out the stock diff and swap guts.