Rod Knock - Vid; Will any VQ35DE replace? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion |
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Rod Knock - Vid; Will any VQ35DE replace?

Rod Knock - Vid; Will any VQ35DE replace?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Rod Knock - Vid; Will any VQ35DE replace?

Have an '03 6MT. Had the OC issue before this lovely noise popped its head;

I'm selling the car as it sits for $5900 but am getting no bites. For this, I'm tempted to throw a cheap replacement motor in it and rock out for a little bit longer. Something I've noticed is you can pick up VQ's from other cars for cheap but the second it comes out of a G, it carries a 1.5x price premium. Provided I strip everything down to the long block, are all VQ35DE's the same? (ie I could get one out of a maxima/FX/Murano/etc)?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Any VQ35DE (non-revup) out of a RWD car should be identical. FWD engines have the RWD mount bracket locations but they are not drilled and tapped and they also have a different crank snout, which means different crank pulley etc and could get even more complicated.

Best bet is to keep looking for a G/Z or FX/Murano engine. If you do come across one, if it came with a auto transmission mated to it make sure you remove that suborn auto pilot bushing and install a MT pilot bushing before trying to mate up a manual tranny.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 PM
u sure its rod knock? the frequency of the knocking sounds too fast. Sounds like something valve train related. If it is rod knock and u want to try a cheap fix (I did this on a G20 and it lasted 2 years until i sold the car):

-jack car up
-remove oil pan and look at the bearings
-1 should be bad, u should see metal shavings
-replace bearing

This is not the proper way to fix, but will work if the crank is not chewed up.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm giving it a little gas so you can hear it better. Doesn't really do it at idle.

Your idea sounds marvelous.

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS[West]: Energy Suspension Compression Rod Bushings keithk831 Steering & Suspension 3 08-02-2015 09:50 PM
Metal noise coming from rear right wheel atk08 General Media Share 0 07-30-2015 03:12 PM
2008 G35x Knocking Noise at Highway Speeds rping Brakes & Suspension 0 07-26-2015 09:53 PM
2005 g35 coupe clutch replacement combo Buggzb86 Drivetrain 0 07-25-2015 11:22 PM
ES Compression Rod Gap is NOT okay! itschuckster G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 2 07-25-2015 08:07 AM

350z, driving, engine, fix, fuel, g35, knock, premium, repair, replace, replacing, revup, rod, rods, vg35de, vq35de
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: