ACT HDSS + ACT Streetlite Flywheel Questions.. - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • ACT HDSS + ACT Streetlite Flywheel Questions..

ACT HDSS + ACT Streetlite Flywheel Questions..

Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 AM
ACT HDSS + ACT Streetlite Flywheel Questions..

Hey guys..

First and foremost, I know that many of you are going to flame me for asking this question since answers will be in the search...but I have been going through old threads and responses for weeks upon weeks and am still debating on how I should handle the situation..

I have a 2006 G35 w/ Borla exhaust, MD plenum, and Injen intake (short ram)..soon to add Berk HFCs..but thats besides the point

I am a speedaholic (side effect of Socal) and do drive my car hard on a daily basis..

I need to upgrade my OEM Exedy clutch + flywheel and have been debating between the pros and cons of aftermarket vs stock...I thought I was decided upon the ACT HDSS clutch + ACT Streetlite Flywheel but have not made up my mind...The decision on the flywheel has been driving me crazy...I always have girls in my car and sometimes have to drive my parents as well...I love my car sounds as is and the only slight noise that comes from the engine is from a bad TO bearing..which will be replaced soon..

Where I need help is...someone with experience with the ACT streetlite flywheel and their thoughts on the idle noise and how bearable it is with no music on/windows down...or even outside of the car...I dont want to pull up to a girls house and have her think I'm driving around a salvaged G35..nor do I want to bug the neighbors in my neighborhood coming home at 3-5am making a bunch of bs noise...Since I know the positive benefits as far as performance on the lightweight flywheel...I REALLY want those benefits...but since I have not experienced the sound a lightweight flywheel makes in person I cannot determine if its right for me or not..I am scared to make the upgrade to a lightweight flywheel because once the damage is done I know I cant afford to dissassemble the car and buy/install a stock flywheel..

I have done clutch/flywheel upgrades in previous car setups and dont mind having to take off in a higher RPM to avoid the chatter from a stop...but what I am worried about is sitting at a red light and making a bunch of useless noise and having people look at me like im an idiot...

Ive read all types of mixed reviews on how some people can manage the sound while others cannot deal with it...I dont know where I fit in since I have not heard it personally...If anyone who is in a similar situation as me (who lives in a neighborhood where noise is a possible issue, who picks up friends/girls and has to maybe idle in front of someones house for a bit before they make it out the house, etc) can chime in on whether the flywheel made an effect on their decision of keeping it or not...

I know I have to give in order to get a lot, but there are some things that I am not willing to give up...Anyone with experience please help me out as I am pulling out my hair on this decision...And once again sorry to anyone I am pissing off by asking the "same question" that can be found in the threads..

If anyone has the ACT Streetlite flywheel installed in Socal (I am located near Anaheim Hills/Corona) and would be willing to let me come by and listen to it really quick would be much appreciated..I will return the favor..Thanks in advance to everyone

-rooring husky
Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Yo man
I installed mine yesterday (ACT clutch and streetlite flywheel) and I can tell you it chatters pretty good. Chatter at idle is noticeable if you are outside the car, but if you have an exhaust you would probably never hear it over the purr of the VQ (imo, i don't have an exhaust, yet).

My biggest deal with the clutch/flywheel so far is the dramatic change it is from stock (especially one like mine that was slipping so freaking bad). The engage point is so much lower and so much shorter that I stalled out 3 times just getting home from where I installed it. In addition, it shudders pretty bad when starting from a dead stop (maybe my newness to the clutch is making that happen, only time will tell on that).

All that said, I really really like it. I really like the feel of the clutch and how focused it is making me to my driving. It is SO much faster shifting!! You can really tell a difference in the rev of the engine and it definitely perks up the car.

All the way around I like it, but then again, I really don't care if people think my car is falling apart. I know its not and that it would probably kick their cars butt so....

For you, if you think some noise (which is really only if you screw up your driving and are in the wrong gear at low rpm) will impact some girl's view on you, then don't get it... But if you care more about laying down that power, its definitely a good route to go

P.S. if she is dumb enough to actually judge you poorly for upgrading you car then she is not your type of girl or you are just