how hard is a stock clutch? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • how hard is a stock clutch?


how hard is a stock clutch?

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Feb 2009
location: Oahu grown residing in NoCal
Posts: 152
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how hard is a stock clutch?

I've been driving my g for a few weeks now and this is by far the hardest clutch pedel that i've had yet. Is the stock clutch fairly firm to press down cause i'm thinking that this car has an aftermarket clutch to match some other subtle mods that were already installed when i purchased it...

Oh, and it tends to chatter from neutral to first, first to second, and sometimes if you hold the clutch in to long while shifting gears...i.e. rpm drops while shifting...
Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 273
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/engine-...al-remedy.html

I am going to do this to my stock clutch tomorrow, might help you...
Old 02-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Feb 2009
location: Oahu grown residing in NoCal
Posts: 152
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. i'll give this a try. my question was more along the lines of the actual firmness of the clutch (i.e. when you press down on a stiff pressure plate clutch it feels like your leg is gonna break). on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate the firmness of the stock clutch? i've driven mostly hondas and toyotas in my past and they rate about a 3-4 on my scale. My G35 feels like a 6-7...
Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,020
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
While you're doing this $5 mod check the fluid in your clutch reservoir, make sure it's full. Also, if your pedal ever falls to the floor that's an indication your clutch cylinder is going bad. There's a rubber plunger inside that applies pressure to the fluid, when that leaks you'll lose pedal....FYI
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 11-02-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
eurodre's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (11)
Join Date: Oct 2007
location: Socal 818, CA
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 534 Times in 295 Posts
oh geez, the clutch pedal remedy.. cant u just deal with the fact that the g is the way it is? maybe its just me but isnt it a little cheap (quality wise) to do something like the clutch pedal remedy? i find that pushing the clutch in all the way helps to smooth out the shifts
Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Xet Xet is offline
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Jun 2008
location: sj
Posts: 4,197
Thanked 169 Times in 141 Posts
to turn a bolt to make the throw shorter is cheapening your car????
Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
aannddyy's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2009
location: So Cali
Posts: 268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 410g35 View Post
I've been driving my g for a few weeks now and this is by far the hardest clutch pedel that i've had yet. Is the stock clutch fairly firm to press down cause i'm thinking that this car has an aftermarket clutch to match some other subtle mods that were already installed when i purchased it...

Oh, and it tends to chatter from neutral to first, first to second, and sometimes if you hold the clutch in to long while shifting gears...i.e. rpm drops while shifting...
The G35 stock clutch has about the same stiffness/firmness as say a stock honda or toyota. I also had both a honda and toyota in the past and then drove a stock g35 and it was the same to me. It sounds that you have an aftermarket clutch installed in your car, maybe a stage1 or 2. The description you have listed sounds like one, because I had a stage 2 clutch before as well and it took me a while to get use to.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2008
location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 726
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a really stiff clutch can mean you're clutch is going bad
Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Feb 2009
location: Oahu grown residing in NoCal
Posts: 152
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aannddyy View Post
The G35 stock clutch has about the same stiffness/firmness as say a stock honda or toyota. I also had both a honda and toyota in the past and then drove a stock g35 and it was the same to me. It sounds that you have an aftermarket clutch installed in your car, maybe a stage1 or 2. The description you have listed sounds like one, because I had a stage 2 clutch before as well and it took me a while to get use to.
word. that was the answer i was looking for. thanks aannddyy.

clutch is still good. it's not slipping and engages just fine. The pedal itself it just hard to push down on...like when you install an aftermarket stage 2 clutch with a stiff pressure plate
Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Banned
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Feb 2009
location: SOCAL 619
Posts: 840
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 410g35 View Post
thanks. i'll give this a try. my question was more along the lines of the actual firmness of the clutch (i.e. when you press down on a stiff pressure plate clutch it feels like your leg is gonna break). on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate the firmness of the stock clutch? i've driven mostly hondas and toyotas in my past and they rate about a 3-4 on my scale. My G35 feels like a 6-7...
dude do some squats and calf raises and youll be fine
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 273
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aannddyy View Post
The G35 stock clutch has about the same stiffness/firmness as say a stock honda or toyota. I also had both a honda and toyota in the past and then drove a stock g35 and it was the same to me. It sounds that you have an aftermarket clutch installed in your car, maybe a stage1 or 2. The description you have listed sounds like one, because I had a stage 2 clutch before as well and it took me a while to get use to.
I have to disagree. I own a honda civic and the clutch is WAAAAY easier to handle than the g35's clutch. You need MUCH LESS force to use the clutch in my honda compared to the g. Maybe its just my honda?? It's a 01 civic coupe.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 273
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurodre View Post
oh geez, the clutch pedal remedy.. cant u just deal with the fact that the g is the way it is? maybe its just me but isnt it a little cheap (quality wise) to do something like the clutch pedal remedy? i find that pushing the clutch in all the way helps to smooth out the shifts
Well I REALLY HATE the clutch on my g. I am still planning on getting the JWT clutch and flywheel in the future b/c I can't stand it any more. I own a civic and have owned an audi and peugeot when I lived overseas and this is the worse clutch I have had out of all those cars and I have test drove many other cars (my brothers m3) and still this clutch is way worse than all of them.

I did the clutch mod and it seems better. The only problem is that the shift into first gear is a little more difficult, but I like it more overall b/c it stops you from pressing the pedal waaaay down to the floor and I feel I have more of a grip of the car.

Also I agree as mentioned above that pushing the clutch in all the way helps smooth the shifts, but it slows you down.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
g35 stock clutch is super stiff. ive had an altima, and civics and the g is by far the hardest clutch. its a mans clutch for sure. just make sure you down shift and rev match. i bought my car used and the clutch was not smooth and was chattery but now that ive babied it it is just as smooth as a civic clutch. but yes, the pedal requires 500x's the effort of the civic. takes a while to get used to.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
aannddyy's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2009
location: So Cali
Posts: 268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35ctuner View Post
g35 stock clutch is super stiff. ive had an altima, and civics and the g is by far the hardest clutch. its a mans clutch for sure. just make sure you down shift and rev match. i bought my car used and the clutch was not smooth and was chattery but now that ive babied it it is just as smooth as a civic clutch. but yes, the pedal requires 500x's the effort of the civic. takes a while to get used to.
Are you serious? A g35 clutch may be stiffer than a honda's clutch and such but it is definitely not "500x" the effort. Have you ever driven a stage 2 or stage 3 clutch before? Well I have and those racing clutch are "500x" the effort. You must be new to driving a stick or something because a g35 clutch is really easy to drive and does not require that much effort. Maybe the op is new to driving a manual but who knows..
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
Join Date: May 2006
location: SoCal
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OEM Clutch is stiffer than other cars - for comparison the 335 I just test drove has a softer clutch with more travel. Never really appreciated it til I drove the 2 cars back to back. Chatter can be normal for OEM clutch, although I personally have not had chatter going from 1-2. Could also indicate an aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jsimonk's g35 sedan progress thread jsimonk General Media Share 14 04-15-2017 09:57 PM
Hey guys! looking forward to getting involved in this forum Daniel k. New Members Check In 13 11-03-2015 10:52 AM
FS: noctilucous 2nd Gen (V36) Sedan 0 08-06-2015 09:47 PM
FS: RJM 3.3 adj clutch pedal andrewvk Interior 5 08-06-2015 06:51 PM


Tags
clutch, clutches, drive, firm, g35, hard, normal, pedal, press, push, racing, remedy, stage, stiff, suddenly
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, panoramic-3d.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


kyb strut mounthow much does a crankshaft position sensor costapple auto glass mississaugapioneer avh-p4400bhark lowering springslincoln aviator forumwhere is the egr sensor locatediforged swiftheadlight diyacura rsx oem wheelsrockford fosgate p3l-s12infiniti candahow to claybar a vehicleneo chrome wheelsused low mileage japanese enginessunpass mini stickerrear axle noisenuvi 350 batteryg35 timing beltalpine iva d310 braing35 cheap modspioneer avh p4200dvd2003 infiniti g35 sedan interiorvarrstoen replica350z tire sizecost to replace torque converterlug nut stud replacement cost2013 g37x 0-60d2 racing lowering springs reviewported box vs sealedhow to fix a sticking brake caliperis350 performance upgradesviper alarm programming2004 nissan maxima transmission fluidaftermarket alternatorscruisers car wash northridge hoursnevada tint lawsproact ultra premium ceramic brake pads03 350z 0-60duralimin2006 350z 0-60g35 06 headlights350z splash guardpaint scratch penare miro wheels goodhow much is a valve cover gasketcanister vent solenoidintransit platesblack leather car seat restorerdiy transmission flushhow much is a camshaft sensor2 15 inch kicker compbmw 745 bolt patternkoya racing wheelsinch lbs torque wrenchtenten tiresdifference between coaxial and component speakersworks wheels vs-xxauto zone car waxkoni spring perchmrr wheels gf7sprint booster installsteel rims for snow tiresls2 manual transmissiongunmetal grey plasti dip carvht night shaderesistor for airbag bypasssmog checkpoints californiawhat are rolled fendersstep lip rimsspeaker spacersremove scratches from headlightsairbag clock spring repair cost