Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • B&M Short Shifter

B&M Short Shifter

Old 06-12-2004, 02:34 PM
English dude, English
B&M Short Shifter

Has any body heard anything good or bad on the B&M short shifter? Here is what one website had to say. Just curious if it was really worth $200.00.

"Expect firm precise shifts from the leader in short throw shifting. The B&M shifter for the 350Z and G35 will have 33% less throw than the factory design. A shifter will help times at both the drag strip and the road/autocross track. This Sport Shifter has all of the features a performance minded driver requires. The finest materials, CAD designed, coupled with a short throw results in one extraordinary precision shifting system. This stylized precision shifter includes many of the key features found in race shifters including a stainless steel stick assembly, machined aluminum pivot. All of this combined with a simple straightforward installation provides a professional level shifter. Key features: Engineered for Precision Shifts 33% Shorter throw for quicker shifts 303 Stainless steel stick CNC machined aluminum pivot housing Accepts stock factory **** Direct bolt on installation."

Old 06-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Re: B&M Short Shifter

I haven't seen any posts reviewing the B&M on this forum or FA, but several of us have installed the Rogue Engineering kit and as far as I know, every one is very pleased with it. It's a little more expensive, but they've been making the top short shift kit for BMWs for many years and are highly regarded.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:32 AM

i've got the b and m short throw. I like the fact that it really shortens the throw, but i have had a few problems. i grind second often, it is hard to get into fifth, and it is hard to get into six when redlining from fifth to sixth, other than that, a great shifter.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:03 AM

Other than that it's a great shifter? Sounds like major drawbacks to me. My stock linkage is fine, it has none of the problems you mentioned. I did put a Nismo **** on it so the throw would be a bit shorter (lower ****) but that's it.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I had the same problems with my B&M when i installed it. After you get used to the shifter, i have had no problems. You finally get the feel for where second is and 6th was never a problem for me. 5 is only hard because if you slam it over there, the little knub slides under the plate. It really shortens the throws and i thnk it is worth a week or two of getting used to it.

It just never stops... which body kit? hmmm?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:43 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

5 is only hard because if you slam it over there, the little knub slides under the plate.

<hr></blockquote>PP - So are you saying that the 5th/6th gear side stop (and, subsequently, the reverse lock out) is consistently inoperative? Have you tried to re-position the top plate to rectify?

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY
Old 06-15-2004, 12:06 PM

Oh yeah, their certainly is a review that was posted not to long ago.

This is a cut and past from Loren04Coupe's original post

"B&M shifter problems - getting returned

I special ordered a B&M shifter from Summit Racing. They had it drop shipped directly from B&M to my door. Initial inspection looked good. I followed their instructions for the install. Installation was very easy, except I was not expecting to have to dremel the shifter housing as the instructions specified. The hardest part of the whole install is getting the lower shifter cover back over the linkage.

My problems started immediately. I had continual problems getting into reverse. If I pushed the shift lever all the way down and went over to the reverse lockout plate, I would hit the upper shaft of the shifter on the plate. The only way I could get into reverse was to slide the shift lever over to the plate without pushing down and then push down slightly and it would go over. The positioning of the upper shaft to the lower shaft was not correct.

If you think the stock shifter is notchy, the B&M is a lot notchier. It is definitely shorter, but the notchiness kept me from clicking off quick shifts. I was continually getting rattles from the shifter while driving. After a day, I took the covers off and checked it The allen head screw and nut that holds the upper shaft to the lower shaft worked loose. The reason was that although I checked to make sure it was tight earlier, there is a bushing that goes in the middle that was never pressed in properly at the factory. After pressing it back in (with large vice grips), I reassembled everything and noticed a ring pattern hole in my shifter boot.

WARNING: this is for everyone looking at a B&M shifter, there is a major design flaw in the shifter. The stock shifter retains the **** but bottoming the inner side of the shifter down onto the bushing and the shifter shaft to lock it on. The B&M has no stop. Hopefully your shifter will just happen to stop before crushing the boot to lock. Mine would turn loosely until compressing against the boot. On the ender side of the shifter, there is some casting flash. As you tighten the shifter, it cuts the boot. If you are daring enough to get one of these shifter, use some sand paper or a dremel to clean off any burs from the ****.

In the instructions they say to remove the stock bushing. The shifter will rattle badly whether you do so or not. I've tried it both ways. I get a lot of rattling in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears as I accelerate. The reason for the rattling is another design problem. The B&M ball housing is aluminum as is their spacer plate. There is no insulation between the 2 and hence the metal to metal rattle from the vibration. An easly fix would be to put a little rubber on the underside of the plate to insulate it. After having 3 phone conversations with B&M, B&M is advising me to return my shifter for a refund and these problems were due to my car being an "anomaly." Take your own risk on whether your car is an "anomaly" too. I put the stock shifter back in with the bushing and the **** tightened up without compressing the boot just like it was before, hence how I easily question the "anomaly" idea.

Bottom line, the B&M shifter is a horribly designed POS. Summit Racing is taking great care of me. The are not only going to refund the cost of the shifter, but also the handling charge(there was no shipping) and the return shipping charge. "

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt
Old 06-15-2004, 12:38 PM

So, no one reports any of these problems (or similar) with the Rogue?

Old 06-15-2004, 01:36 PM

I have never seen any post on the rouge shifter that has ever said it's design doesn't deliver anything buy enhancements, it has no bad points. Some early design rouge shifters came apart when the car was shifted aggressively ( know of 2 examples), a redesign done shortly after the shifter was introduced to cure that issue. I have the updated rouge shifter on my car.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt
Old 06-15-2004, 08:05 PM

They weren't kidding when they meant short shifter. I just installed mine. There's a definite difference in distance of throws. I have to get use to the fact that they gates appear to be closer now. (i.e. 5th isn't where it was with the OEM shifter). Overall, I am pleased with it.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:16 AM

OK, the the 5th/6th gear problem cannot be rectified because the plate that comes with the kit is basically like 2mm too tall, a little shorter and I don't think there would be a problem. Like I said early, it takes time to get used to. The gears are definately not in the position you are used to... I love it, i can speed shift like none other now!

Old 06-22-2004, 02:12 AM

I followed instructions as you said and even measured the 1/8" when dremeling it out and I STILL have the little bit of problem shifting it into 5th... so my advice is just get used to it. The benefits of the short shifts much outweigh the troublesome 5th gear IMO.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 AM

I agree with Pearl. Also, there is no need to get personal and challenge people's intelligence.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:08 PM

Off topic here~ For those of you who have installed the B&M Short Shifter, do you have the stock shift rod (the piece of metal rod that connects to the shift ****) sitting around in the garage? My shifting mechanism is loose and I need to replace this part. Please PM me if I can take it off your hands. Greatly appreciated.