G35/350Z guys with lightweight flywheel - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • G35/350Z guys with lightweight flywheel

G35/350Z guys with lightweight flywheel

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Thumbs up G35/350Z guys with lightweight flywheel

I'm debating getting a new flywheel for my car, but apparently these cars are prone to driveline vibration. If it's anything like E36/E46 BMWs, then I can probably deal with it. I'd like to ride along in a car first that has one, and maybe even start out from a stop a few times if you're cool with that.

So anybody around the DFW area have a lightweight flywheel in their G35/350Z and up for letting me check out their car?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Get the nismo if you dont want chatter.. everything else has it.. hook it up with a beer or 6 and Im game (them tall ones - on tap - mmmmm DOS XX's - 22oz)..Ive got JWT clutch and fly..

GL..
Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 AM
I have a JWT clutch/flywheel and can honestly say that if I could do it over I would have stuck with the OEM flywheel

There is way too much chatter for my liking.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I have the Z1 street performance clutch and 13.5 lb flywheel. There isn't any vibration that I feel. But it is damn noisy. I got over it real fast after I noticed the difference between a stock FW and a lightweight.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I got the JWT combo as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocketdave View Post
I have a JWT clutch/flywheel and can honestly say that if I could do it over I would have stuck with the OEM flywheel

There is way too much chatter for my liking.
Mine isnt that bad...guess its a matter of preference.. Certainly doesnt sound like a cement mixer by all means which ive heard some sound like before..
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidjake75 View Post
Mine isnt that bad...guess its a matter of preference.. Certainly doesnt sound like a cement mixer by all means which ive heard some sound like before..
Mine sounds like a cement mixer...lol

Still dont care though. Performance gains were worth it
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM
OP - Hook it up with some beer!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
JWT clutch / flywheel here as well. As for vibration I don't think there's any issue there. Like everyone has already mentioned, the lightweight flywheels are noisy at idle with the clutch out (you can silence it when you press the clutch in).

Where are you located in DFW Defs?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound138 View Post
I got the JWT combo as well.
+1, noisy, but cool sounding IMO. I got over it as soon as i floored it and watched the RPM's rocket up.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerViper View Post
JWT clutch / flywheel here as well. As for vibration I don't think there's any issue there. Like everyone has already mentioned, the lightweight flywheels are noisy at idle with the clutch out (you can silence it when you press the clutch in).

Where are you located in DFW Defs?
Sorry guys, forgot about this thread.

I'm located in Fort Worth.

I am well aware of the idle noise as I've experienced it in other BMWs, and I'm mostly sure I could handle that. But I've also heard of lots of drivetrain noise when accelerating at low RPM, and that I absolutely couldn't stand.

The idle noise might get old though, since this car is my daily driver. I've got a fast Nissan for when I don't care about noise, so I usually like to keep the daily mostly stock. I'll probably end up staying with the stocker, I just need to get it resurfaced which is kind of a PITA since most shops don't resurface dual mass flywheels.

Anybody here know of a shop that'll resurface a stock flywheel? Or better yet, have a good condition stock flywheel they are looking to sell that I could resurface at my leisure?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defs View Post
Anybody here know of a shop that'll resurface a stock flywheel? Or better yet, have a good condition stock flywheel they are looking to sell that I could resurface at my leisure?
Ur in luck I just got the JWT setup installed and my fly is chillin the jwt box. Send me a PM and let me know...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defs View Post
Sorry guys, forgot about this thread.

I'm located in Fort Worth.

I am well aware of the idle noise as I've experienced it in other BMWs, and I'm mostly sure I could handle that. But I've also heard of lots of drivetrain noise when accelerating at low RPM, and that I absolutely couldn't stand.

That is why I don't like mine, there is TONS of noise under 2500RPMS and you can even feel it in the gas pedal.

From what I have read the flywheel can not be resurfaced because it is not completely hardened. The metal is only hardened on the outer most layer. I called a machine shop and they told me the same thing.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocketdave View Post
From what I have read the flywheel can not be resurfaced because it is not completely hardened. The metal is only hardened on the outer most layer. I called a machine shop and they told me the same thing.
The stock fly? or the JWT? Ive heard of plenty of peops getting the stock resurfaced no problems ...shoot if that were the case then everyone would have to buy new flywheels everytime they needed a new clutch..

The JWT though - that has a replacable face plate thats about 50-60 bucks for when you do get a new clutch, no resurfacing is needed. Just pop in the new face plate and ur done..
Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 AM
What did you guys notice as far as the performance upgrades in a lightweight flywheel? i have the nismo exhaust and a CAI but looking for some more hp any ideas?