Is Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish safe? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion |
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Is Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish safe?

Is Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish safe?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Is Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish safe?

I have a 2004 G35 Coupe with 18" wheels. I've had the car for about a week now and have noticed a huge amount of brake dust accumalating in the front wheels. I was wondering if it's safe to use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish on the wheels, I've heard that some of these products break down the clear coat on the wheels....? Is it better I use a "Wax" wheel product as Mothers is a "Polish".....what do you guys recommend? I'm just worried about damaging the wheels in some way.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
So are they just dirty or is the brake dust embedded into the surfaces of the wheels?

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish is for uncoated wheels. If your wheels are clear coated, you will wanted to do a good wash, followed by an AIO product from zaino or klasse. If that does not remove the embedded brake dust then try a claybar.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
No the brake dust isn't embedded, it just builds up pretty fast. I'll try the products you recommended, thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
the mag and aluminum polish is not meant to be used on clearcoated OEM wheels
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 AM
as the brake dust is not embedded on the wheel, i would just give it a good cleaning.... initially i would hit it with a reputable apc (all purpose cleaner), let it dwell and then scrub them off with a wheel brush... if necessary, clay them to remove any left over contaminants... after rinsing/drying, i would use a quality wheel wax (detailedimage carries 'wheel wax' and poorboys 'wheel sealant)... having a good base of protection (i.e. wax) will make future cleanings MUCH easier as brake dust will not stick to the wheels as much...

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: noctilucous 2nd Gen (V36) Sedan 0 08-06-2015 08:47 PM
FS[SoCal]: 20 inch Concept One RS8 wheels for sale IEMaestro 20 Inch 0 07-30-2015 04:30 PM
FS[Canada]: G35 Front Upper Strut Tower Bar netcbc Steering & Suspension CDN 1 07-24-2015 11:23 PM

aluminum, brake, clear, clearcoat, coat, dust, g35, mag, mothers, polish, polsih, safe, safest, stock, wheel, wheels
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: