2002 Porsche 996 Carerra Cabrio - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 2002 Porsche 996 Carerra Cabrio

2002 Porsche 996 Carerra Cabrio

Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Concours d'Elegance
2002 Porsche 996 Carerra Cabrio

Up for detail was a beautiful 2002 996 recently purchased by it's new proud owner just a few months ago. Having done a fair amount of searching, the new owner picked up this beaut down in the Carolinas for a rather nice deal. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall cleanliness of a 60k mile Porsche although the extremely soft Porsche paint was in dire need of some TLC.

The interior of this car was a breeze. The soft leather had some ingrained soil as did the wheel, shifter, and e-brake. Other than that, a rather quick task. My finals were:

-Steam clean entire interior with commercial steamer and MF towels
-Zaino Z10 on leather, rubber, vinyl, plastic
-Stoner's Invisible Glass on glass, mirrors
-Zaino Z8 final interior wipedown

When I arrived, the owner was outside with the two rear wheels off. He was painting the hubs silver since they had rusted over a bit. Being the case, this gave me the chance to clean the wheels and wells out really well. I did the following:

-Soak the wells with Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity APC cut 3:1, then agitate with various brushes and rinse
-Dress wells with Chemical Guys VRT cut 2.5:1

-Clean tires with Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity APC cut 3:1
-Clean wheels with P21s Wheel Cleaner
-Remove tar bits with AutoGlym Intensiv Tar Remover and plastic razor blade.
-Polish insides of wheels and calipers with Hi-Temp Extreme Cut by hand
-Seal wheels and calipers with Zaino Z5 Pro
-Dress tires with Zaino Z16 x 2

As aforementioned, the exterior posed the largest threat. Having very few bonded contaminants, the paint posed some ugly swirl marks, many R.I.D.S. and overall a tarnished appearance in direct sunlight. I had my work cut out for me. I tried a few polishing combos but the final processes were:

-Zaino Z7 Wash
-Zaino Z18 Clay with Z7 Wash as lube

-Hi-Temp Extreme Cut via rotary and Lake Country CCS Orange Cutting Pad 1500 rpm (x2-3 in many areas)
-Menzerna PO85RD via rotary and Lake Country CCS Black Finishing Pad 1300 rpm (x2 in some areas)
-Zaino Z-PC and #0000 Steel wool on exahust
-Zaino Z6 wipedown (x 2---1 before I pulled it into the sun, 1 after spot polishing a few areas after the sun check)

-Zaino Z5 Pro on paint, lighting, wheels
-Zaino Z6 final wipedown

Before

After Polishing

Before

After polishing

After Zaino and final wipedown

This detail took about 9.5 hours. I started a few minutes after 8AM and finished up just shy of 6PM, hence the *weak* sun in the afters. Luckily, the weather was about 80*, light breeze, and low humidity; plus, I was working in a garage.

Questions, comments, suggestions, all welcome.

Cheers.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:42 PM
awesome job, i see youre a big fan of zaino. lol. Nice before and after shots. Did you use a PC to polish it?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned
beauuuuuuutiful CAR