In limbo of 06 G35 or 06 Legacy 2.5GT - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • In limbo of 06 G35 or 06 Legacy 2.5GT

In limbo of 06 G35 or 06 Legacy 2.5GT

Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM
In limbo of 06 G35 or 06 Legacy 2.5GT

Hey, new to this forum but have been glancing over it for quite some time. Luckily landed a job right after college so pretty soon ill be replacing my car. At least for the past decade ive been a huge fan of subarus and the g35 and im pretty stuck on getting one or the other.

Both are around the same price for about the same miles. i know the subies youll have to replace the turbo and TMIC among others around 100k or so, so thats more cost, but know im also learning about this OC issue. i'd like to get an 06 MT but it seems its prevalent in that with about 1 qt per 1000 miles.

what are your thoughts on getting an older g (04 05) to not deal with this, or is it really not THAT big of a problem?

love the Boxer rumble but the G35 exhaust note is AMAZING! and how you can distinguish the two when you hear them but cant see them. Have already decided my performance parts for the G: Invidia full exhaust, some headers, MREV2 and 5/16 spacer......as you can tell im getting excited. making a list for the subie too ha

thanks for any knowledge

Last edited by J_Sandusky?; 07-11-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Both cars are legit. I've had a few subarus and the rumble is great with downpipe, Catback and tune. The g35 is a great car too. Just preference. G35 is not dealing with a turbo which is nice at times
Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
If you happen to be interested in a low mileage 07 G35 S, let me know.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm probably one of the more qualified people to help with this because I just came from a 2005 LGT last year. Here are my thoughts on the Subaru:

Pros:
1. Mod-ability. You can get tons of power out of them for cheap. Stock for stock a LGT and a 6MT G35 feel about the same, but start modding and you'll eat G35s all day.
2. AWD + Manual tranny. Not too many options out there with that combo.
3. Gas mileage. With a few mods and a good tune (stage 2), I was getting 30mpg highway.

Cons:
1. I had a lot of rattles in my 2005 LGT. And for a car made for cold weather, it just got worse as it got colder. While everything looked nice, build quality was inferior to the G35.
2. As mentioned, turbo stuff starts to wear out around 100k.

I think they're great cars in different ways. If you like technology and AWD doesn't matter to you, go for the G. If AWD or modability is important, go with the LGT. There are lots of times I miss the power and sound of the Subaru (not to mention the subtle hood scoop), but there are also times I don't miss it.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
thanks for the replies. im still about 2-3 months out from getting a car and just test drove an 05g35 6mt.....so much fun to say the least. but then i started looking at subarus again and it got me pulling in that direction....what to do, what to do

i probably would go to stage two on the subaru too. did you go with the cobb acccessport tuner for that? actually, what mods did you do to your subaru?

also i could save a couple grand with the subaru, get lower mileage, and put that towards mods. how many miles did you have on your subie?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Sandusky? View Post
thanks for the replies. im still about 2-3 months out from getting a car and just test drove an 05g35 6mt.....so much fun to say the least. but then i started looking at subarus again and it got me pulling in that direction....what to do, what to do

i probably would go to stage two on the subaru too. did you go with the cobb acccessport tuner for that? actually, what mods did you do to your subaru?

also i could save a couple grand with the subaru, get lower mileage, and put that towards mods. how many miles did you have on your subie?
When I first got it I got a Cobb AccessPort V1. Then I went with an e-tune. Then I ended up doing my own custom tune myself and had the best results with that. I just had a catted downpipe, STi catless uppipe (OEM), Axleback exhaust and my tune.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I had Cobb, invidia catted and catless, helix downpipes. All were good. Greddy evo2 was a nice Catback. Stay away from hks and invidia Catback unless u like really loud. U can go Cobb accessport but nothing beats a tune from Yimi sport. Bc racing coilovers are perfect for those. I stayed away from blow off valves. K&n drop in filter. Kartboy short shifter is a must. Yeah. That's a mix of what I likes on my car
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiedrewbie View Post
I had Cobb, invidia catted and catless, helix downpipes. All were good. Greddy evo2 was a nice Catback. Stay away from hks and invidia Catback unless u like really loud. U can go Cobb accessport but nothing beats a tune from Yimi sport. Bc racing coilovers are perfect for those. I stayed away from blow off valves. K&n drop in filter. Kartboy short shifter is a must. Yeah. That's a mix of what I likes on my car
Unless you're Stage 3 or higher, you don't want anything other than a stock filter/intake. The MAF sensor is very picky, and oscillations occur with anything other than a stock intake setup.

Yeah, I had a kartboy STS also and it was great. Based on YouTube I always thought the HKS Silent Hipower sounded great (not loud), but yeah the Invidia is loud. BOVs were ok as long as you kept it at full recirculating, but some did 50% and had no problems.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Interesting about the air filter. I feel that a lot of the time cai's are somewhat pointless. I had the spt on for a week on the Subaru and felt the performance drop. I used k&n drop in though and it ran great. You definitely need to be careful with that though.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subiedrewbie View Post
Interesting about the air filter. I feel that a lot of the time cai's are somewhat pointless. I had the spt on for a week on the Subaru and felt the performance drop. I used k&n drop in though and it ran great. You definitely need to be careful with that though.
Yeah, I had a k&n for a little while but when I was getting road tuned my tuner told me to ditch it, so I did. Then it got easier to tune the MAF scaling. He also said removing the intake resonator caused problems, but based on my tuning experience I didn't notice any adverse effects.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I used to love the look of the GT legacy. I've heard there sort of cheaply made in some aspects. Also if your considering a G don't put headers on unless your going turbo and or Cams. Other wise you will waste around $1500
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja26 View Post
I used to love the look of the GT legacy. I've heard there sort of cheaply made in some aspects. Also if your considering a G don't put headers on unless your going turbo and or Cams. Other wise you will waste around $1500
I had several rattles inside my 05 LGT. For a car made for the winter it sure made a lot of squeaks when it was cold as well. The interior looked nice, but build quality could have been slightly better. Still, you get a lot for your money with those cars.

As my 06 G35x now has 94,000 miles on it, I have been contemplating what my next car will be (maybe a year or so from now). I'm torn between a newer G35/G37 and an 08+ Legacy GT (I have mixed feelings about the '10+ LGT).
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
well i looked for subarus today since i havnt in over a month (because of g35's) and i came across a couple that are looking pretty attractive right now. i live in cincinnati and theyre both in michigan so it'll be a weekend trip next week. One is an 06 and the other an 08. honestly, i think the subaru is more practical than a g35 coupe right now for me....and i am 6'4 tho i still sat in it nice.

keithk831, those are the same mods that ill probably do, plus maybe suspension (inch drop. nothing crazy). whats up with this e-tune and the custom one you did yourself?

on a sidenote, im 22 with no tickets or accidents but im sure insurance would be more with teh g35, just not sure how much
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
My insurance only went up a few dollars per month going from my 05 LGT to my 06 G35x. I'm 28 and married.

I tuned via open source with a tactrix cable. You can look up open source tuning on the forums for more info. But I don't recommend tuning yourself unless you know what you're doing.