Akebono with Racing Brake - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Akebono with Racing Brake

Akebono with Racing Brake

Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Akebono with Racing Brake

For those that were following this thread: http://panoramic-3d.ru/forums/brakes-...otor-news.html

I went with Racing Brake's new 2-piece rotors...

Here is preliminary review as written on Raicing Brake Forum... I will update with more detailed review when I've had time to fairly evaluate (from performance perspective).

From RB Forum:

picked mine up (local) late last week - installed last Sat... haven't had time to drive the car much - and definitely haven't pushed its limits - but so far from semi-spirited street driving I'm very please with the rotors and ET500 pads...

I have an 04 G35 Sedan - so this is coming from OEM brakes, then drilled and slotted rotors with OEM caliper, then Akebono calipers with OEM G37/370Z sport rotors and pads:

I don't know if it's the pads or rotors (or combination of both) - but as compared to Akebono w/OEM rotors and pads, brake modulation is much more controlled and precise! Stopping power is what I originally expected from the Akebono upgrade (even though OEM rotors and pads with Akenobo where a but better than stock)... From what little I have been able to drive - the performance of these rotors w/ET500 have been very good.

I weighed OEM and RB rotors (non calibrated normal home scale) and they were within claimed weight... OEM rear almost weigh as much as RB front I took pics of weight and such - but won't detail here, I'll make that part of detailed review later... bottom line is, weight saving is what has been claimed... I haven't been able to determine how much the lighter rotational mass has helped acceleration, since I haven't had time for focused spirited runs yet.

Something to note - if you kept the rear dust shields (first gen G) and trimmed the edge to fit OEM rotors, you may want to remove dust shield all together now. I'm not sure yet if it's because the RB rear rotors are thicker, but the dust shields grind against backside of rotors - we pulled mine away a bit and it helped - but I think I will remove entirely when I have time... as of now they dont make noise (but I think under hard cornering they might).

I am hoping to find time to track the car in the next month or two... and will do detailed review on panoramic-3d.ru at some point. In the mean time - I do recommend these rotors and pads for first gen G35 - it's a huge difference from OEM.

Here are some quick pics:

Front before:

Front After:

Rear before:

Rear After:
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
very nice pick up, looks great. I'm definitely interested in your feedback... i need to get the 2 piece rotors for mine - perhaps next year
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Looks like another quality piece for the akebono owners. I like the fact that the area not touching pads has been minimzed to avoid the rust ring that you get w the afermarket rotors (hope that makes sense).
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 PM
+1 on that!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCG35 View Post
I am hoping to find time to track the car in the next month or two... and will do detailed review on panoramic-3d.ru at some point. In the mean time - I do recommend these rotors and pads for first gen G35 - it's a huge difference from OEM.
You'll absolutely love them. I've had the fronts since Feb '10 and it has seen a couple of track days since.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:00 PM
thanks for the update! i can tell your car is with henry at temple city auto repair
Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu89 View Post
thanks for the update! i can tell your car is with henry at temple city auto repair
yep Henry and John are top notch - Temple City Auto is my go to place...

I plan to detail their work in my full review...
Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Performance Review

Finally got around to writing a review...

As posted on RB forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocg35 View Post
late review (sorry for delay)...

I've had the two piece rotors since they were first available... running them on an 04 G35 sedan (Akebono upgrade)...

As those who have OEM Akebono know, the rotors are pig heavy!!! It may not be noticeable to a 370Zs or G37s - but first gen sedans had Altima brakes - perform like crap on road course (so small) but excellent on drag strip (so light)...

Upgrading to Akebono brakes was a bit of a disappointment because no aftermarket rotors were available initially... on the G35 the bigger/heavier rotors really affected acceleration - and more (see below)...

When I swapped brakes, my car was in body shop for custom body work - so when I got car back, I noticed considerable sluggishness in acceleration and cornering... I attributed it to combo of added body weight (from custom body work) and bigger brakes (total of 100 lbs added)... as it turned out the brakes were 1/3 of the weight! (this was determined by controlled comparison on calibrated truck scale - before and after body work, both with 1/4 tank gas and exact same items in car - then after RB upgrade with same criteria)...

As soon as RB came out with two piece rotors (on all four corners), I got 'em... As stated, acceleration was notably quicker - much more interesting was cornering was so much lighter, snappier, precise~!!! I had not realized how much of the weight difference was actually rotors... the best way to describe it is; it felt almost like a front wheel drive car... If you have a 350Z or G35 and you run OEM 370Zs or G37s rotors - then switch to these, you'll know exactly what I mean. It's a significant difference (for the better).

As for braking performance... Prior to Akebono w/RB rotors, I ran Auto Club Speedway Roval (in Fontana, CA) with OEM first gen calipers and slotted rotors (remember, these are tiny Altima brakes)... friggin' horrible for road course work - had brake fade in last section of infield and ended up on the grass (thank gawd it wasn't a wall)... This is one of the reasons I upgraded to Akebono's (granted - for 1/4 mile drag racing, OEM tiny brakes are perfect because they are so light)...

Since acquiring the RB two piece rotors - I have attended one autocross (AAA Speedway, Fontana, real tight course, relatively slow speed) and one road course (Streets of Willow) moderate to high speed with hard frequent braking... I am VERY pleased with the way these rotors and pads held up! (I'm using RB ET500 with motul 600 fluid and braided stainless lines)...

Willow Springs was 110 degrees ambient temp - brakes held up flawlessly! Zero fade, exceptional performance - brake fade was the last thing I was worried about... in fact, engine and trans oil temps are what brought me off the track a bit early - braking was problem free.

I already posted about street performance (in another thread) - but to reiterate - modulation is greatly improved with this setup - control is so much more solid, it's almost scary how daring you can be knowing the amount of braking performance is there... of course, I've only pushed the limits at the track, but on the street its very apparent as well.

This is an unbiased, non-professional review... just from an avid enthusiast - I can honestly say, 100% these rotors are worth getting! In fact, if you have Akebono brakes without these rotors, you are losing a considerable amount of performance (particularly in the first gen G and Z).

Here are pics of then on my car:

Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2S2M View Post
Looks like another quality piece for the akebono owners. I like the fact that the area not touching pads has been minimzed to avoid the rust ring that you get w the afermarket rotors (hope that makes sense).
i noticed that too! I hate the rust ring!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Very SICK Mike. Those rotors look awesome.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM
which adapter bracket did you use?