adjusting coilover ride height - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • adjusting coilover ride height

adjusting coilover ride height

Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
adjusting coilover ride height

hey guys i was wondering if someone can give me a DIY or teach me how to adjust the height of my car? Im currently using tein flex coilovers.. which were installed by someone else.. so i've never really had any hands on experience with the suspension part. I wanted to lower my front for a photoshoot and then raise it back up when i'm done.. i'd rather try doing it on my own instead of paying someone twice to do this for me.. problem is..i have no idea how it's done. So any help / guides would be great.. thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
all you're going to loosen/tighten is the lower locking perch. two are below the spring, and one is below those. loosen that one, and turn the black piece. leave the spring perches alone.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 PM
With the flex you change ride height in the front by lengthing or shortening the dampners. Keep the tension on the front springs at a minium, just enough to keep the spring in place when no weight is on the wheel is ideal. In the rear, the springs do set the ride height. But be carefull not to set the rear dampners too tall or you'll be on the bump stops all the time or when you encounter bumps mid corner. As you set the rear dampners shorter, depending on the setup, they can and will add in more rear spring preload, to much or which is not a good thing.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
i've been reading the manual on installing the coilover. i'm a little confused about the section where you adjust the ride height. there are 2 figures that we must measure as "references". if we adjust the ride height, won't those references be gone?

It says "A" should be 435mm. If you adjust the ride height, won't that length decrease? I don't quite understand what the "referencing" means in the instructions. can anyone lend any insight? thanks guys =D
Old 01-28-2007, 01:32 AM
what's confusing is the fact that changing the ride height also changes the spring rate. even if you adjust the perch, depending on the spring rate, the height may not even adjust. i just want to know what the best way is to get all the sides to match up.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cK
what's confusing is the fact that changing the ride height also changes the spring rate. even if you adjust the perch, depending on the spring rate, the height may not even adjust. i just want to know what the best way is to get all the sides to match up.
Spring rates cannot change unless you compress the springs so much as to induce coil bind, this is not the norm. Spring stiffness is a factor of overall diameter, wire diameter and the number of active coils. Changing the ride height can change the amount of weight any given wheel carries, which is getting into corner balancing.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:10 AM
also you need to get adjustable endlinks on your swaybars if you're going
to do it correctly.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Question well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Spring rates cannot change unless you compress the springs so much as to induce coil bind, this is not the norm. Spring stiffness is a factor of overall diameter, wire diameter and the number of active coils. Changing the ride height can change the amount of weight any given wheel carries, which is getting into corner balancing.
i got what i said from the Tein installation manual:

i hope you could read that, but if not it says:
  • The lowering of the ride height correlates to the spring rate.
  • Depending on the spring rate, the ride height may not drop as easily.
  • If the spring rate is changed, re-adjust the ride height.
  • When using a spring rate lower than the standard spring rate, the spring seat may require adjustment.
any interpretation for what that is trying to say?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan
also you need to get adjustable endlinks on your swaybars if you're going
to do it correctly.
why?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 AM
thread died but i still want to know...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 AM
slam it !!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Quote:
i got what i said from the Tein installation manual:

i hope you could read that, but if not it says:
  • The lowering of the ride height correlates to the spring rate.
  • Depending on the spring rate, the ride height may not drop as easily.
  • If the spring rate is changed, re-adjust the ride height.
  • When using a spring rate lower than the standard spring rate, the spring seat may require adjustment.
any interpretation for what that is trying to say?
The springrate doesn't change, but the preload on the spring changes when you change the ride height, making the spring "stiffer" at this shortened height. Since it is stiffer, once the weight of the car is back on there, the spring won't compress as much as if the spring was longer in length, so that is why there is a point where compressing the spring will result in the same ride height as a spring that is adjusted to a longer length. this usually doesn't occur before coil binding begins though as gsedan35 mentioned.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Grocery getter
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97
The springrate doesn't change, but the preload on the spring changes when you change the ride height, making the spring "stiffer" at this shortened height. Since it is stiffer, once the weight of the car is back on there, the spring won't compress as much as if the spring was longer in length, so that is why there is a point where compressing the spring will result in the same ride height as a spring that is adjusted to a longer length. this usually doesn't occur before coil binding begins though as gsedan35 mentioned.

+1

That is right on.

If the coilover is engineered correctly you can adjust it all the way down and still not go beyond the preload of the spring.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:28 PM
is this only inherent in progressive rate springs?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Quote:
is this only inherent in progressive rate springs?
nope