my old post
Since the DIY guide for this is dead on this site and people have been asking me how to take it apart, I decided to make a short and simple diy. It only takes me 5 minutes to take everything apart now..
10 mm socket with an extension
1) use the 10mm socket to unscrew the bolt below the hood latch
2) unscrew all the screws under the steering column panel
3) carefully seperate the top and bottom part .. it's just a snap on. It should come out like this....
4) now that the steering column is exposed, pull down the lower panel and it should snap off.. As shown here, it has been slightly pulled and seperated....
5)now that the lower panel has been pulled, let it hang as low as possible leaving everything exposed. Next use the 10mm to unscrew the two bolts circled and remove the metal bracket.
6) After that, remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the gauge cluster ( 2 circled, and 2 on the other side not shown)
7) Next remove the signal/ wiper assembly. There are two tabs, one on the top and one on the bottom.. press both tabs and pull. It should come right out. On the wiper assembly, there's plug connected to it. Take out the assembly then remove the plug or which ever way is easier for you.
8) now here's the annoying part. now that the gauge cluster is loose and moving around, you have to wiggle the whole assembly partially out to get access to the plugs that's behind the gauge cluster, but first you have to unplug the power mirror switch plug. Use the screwdriver to presss on the tabs to take the plugs out. Press the tab and PULL. After all the plugs are out, work the gauge cluster out. I would recommend putting towels over the dash so you won't scratch anything.
that's all folks. hopefully i didn't miss anything.