hidden 6.5" subwoofer enclosure - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • hidden 6.5" subwoofer enclosure

hidden 6.5" subwoofer enclosure

Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM
hidden 6.5" subwoofer enclosure

Let me just start off by saying WOW, we have tiny trunks in the coupes lol. My last build I threw 2 monster 15's in a 5 Cu Ft box in the back of my Jeep. weighed 300 LBS and took up literally every inch of cargo space. Needless to say, I'm enjoying having a trunk. Everybody knows the stock bose midrange woofers are meh. and any free-air 6.5" in the rear deck either sucks or rattles like crazy. So my solution is building an enclosure for a 6.5" subwoofer that replaces the plastic cover over the bose amp/sat unit, and it all gets hidden under the mat. This allows me to keep my spare and emergency tools, and 100% of my trunk! It will all be made out of 1/2" MDF and the box is vented (not tuned though, stupid WinISD would NOT accept 3/4 of the subwoofers parameters, even after triple checking. whatever) Total volume is .25 Cu Ft. Yea, kinda small, but hey, it's better than most stock 6" subwoofer enclosures. I also didnt want to pay $500 for a JL enclosure, that houses a 10" sub in maybe half of what it needs for free air volume...)

I'm going to be using a Massive Audio Summo 64. 150Watts RMS, and a big *** double stacked magnet on the back. it will fit perfectly in here.

Can't wait to get my build going. After a car show late this month, I'm selling a lot of aftermarket goodies off of my Jeep, and the sound system. That should give me everything I need to do a complete audio overhaul on the G

I'll include the file so you can look at the sub box in Sketchup.

G35 hidden 6.5 subwoofer enclosure.rar

Last edited by Frostbite91; 08-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frostbite91 For This Useful Post:
Wrathernaut (08-02-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 11:26 PM
if you are doing this why not just cut an additional hole in door and just put it next to the 6.5?
Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite91 View Post
Let me just start off by saying WOW, we have tiny trunks in the coupes lol. My last build I threw 2 monster 15's in a 5 Cu Ft box in the back of my Jeep. weighed 300 LBS and took up literally every inch of cargo space. Needless to say, I'm enjoying having a trunk. Everybody knows the stock bose midrange woofers are meh. and any free-air 6.5" in the rear deck either sucks or rattles like crazy. So my solution is building an enclosure for a 6.5" subwoofer that replaces the plastic cover over the bose amp/sat unit, and it all gets hidden under the mat. This allows me to keep my spare and emergency tools, and 100% of my trunk! It will all be made out of 1/2" MDF and the box is vented (not tuned though, stupid WinISD would NOT accept 3/4 of the subwoofers parameters, even after triple checking. whatever) Total volume is .25 Cu Ft. Yea, kinda small, but hey, it's better than most stock 6" subwoofer enclosures. I also didnt want to pay $500 for a JL enclosure, that houses a 10" sub in maybe half of what it needs for free air volume...)

I'm going to be using a Massive Audio Summo 64. 150Watts RMS, and a big *** double stacked magnet on the back. it will fit perfectly in here.

Can't wait to get my build going. After a car show late this month, I'm selling a lot of aftermarket goodies off of my Jeep, and the sound system. That should give me everything I need to do a complete audio overhaul on the G

I'll include the file so you can look at the sub box in Sketchup.

Attachment 173449
Last weekend I helped with an install for another user here, I was reminded of just how much space is down there. Have you considered going fiberglass and a sealed 10"? There's easily a square foot in that space if you're able to go along the contours. With a D-class amp, you can probably get them both completely hidden. If you're worried about air flow for the amp at all, the vent for the car is right there, a simple 12v computer fan in there (blowing out) and you've got real air flow through there.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .cakestar View Post
if you are doing this why not just cut an additional hole in door and just put it next to the 6.5?
I'm trying to keep this car as stock as possible. no extreme modifications. The only thing I will be doing is this audio upgrade and adding the Aero package, and maybe a front lip. plus it would rattle my window regulator like crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut View Post
Last weekend I helped with an install for another user here, I was reminded of just how much space is down there. Have you considered going fiberglass and a sealed 10"? There's easily a square foot in that space if you're able to go along the contours. With a D-class amp, you can probably get them both completely hidden. If you're worried about air flow for the amp at all, the vent for the car is right there, a simple 12v computer fan in there (blowing out) and you've got real air flow through there.
I might go fiberglass in the future, and it crossed my mind many times while measuring this all out. But I have 3 reasons I want to go this route
1: My dad has a professional wood shop and I love building speaker boxes
2: 1/2" MDF can be had cheap around here, much more so than fiberglass
3: I've always had big subwoofers. I'm really intrigued how this little guy will do. I watched a YT video of a DD equivalent to this sub in a .5 box that hit over 130db on music, so I"m sure this will be nice for ample bass, but without all the vibration. I can also wrap all my tools in a bag, set them inside the spare wheel and do another box on the other side if I really want to.

I just enjoy cheap projects like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frostbite91 For This Useful Post:
BradMD_96 (11-16-2015)