Dynamat the trunk????? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Dynamat the trunk?????


Dynamat the trunk?????

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dynamat the trunk?????

Looking to Dynamat the trunk floor of my 06 coupe.Were is the best place/price online?Then how much do I need for the job?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Sep 2006
location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts


Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullvietFX View Post


Thx.
Can I use both together?Fisrt spary down the DAPtex,then apply the damplifer-pro?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2008
location: New York
Posts: 829
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
What are you looking to do..get rid of noise?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I'm really looking to quiet down some of the exhaust drone I have.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Wrathernaut's Avatar
Gentle Manne of Leisure
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Nov 2008
location: Very Southern Arizona
Posts: 7,784
Thanked 939 Times in 552 Posts
Vibration dampener (like SDS's CLD tiles, Second Skin or *ick* Dynamat) isn't good for reducing low drone. You'll want some closed-cell foam at least, and even better, add some mass-loaded vinyl barrier to cut out exhaust drone.

Here's the best source for both information and products for sound deadening:


Their CLD tiles *rock*!

Dynamat sucks hardcore when compared to the competition.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Sep 2006
location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm actually going to buy 80sq.ft of Damplifier Pro for my trunk to reduce road noise. I'm going to try it without all the foam stuff first.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Wrathernaut's Avatar
Gentle Manne of Leisure
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Nov 2008
location: Very Southern Arizona
Posts: 7,784
Thanked 939 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullvietFX View Post
I'm actually going to buy 80sq.ft of Damplifier Pro for my trunk to reduce road noise. I'm going to try it without all the foam stuff first.
Unless our trunk has 320 sq. ft of surface area, that's a *HUGE* waste.

Damplifier pro is a vibration dampener, not a noise barrier. Once vibration is controlled (25% coverage) you're using the wrong (and most expensive) tool for the job by doing it that way.

I used about 6 CLD tiles (about 6 sq. feet) in my trunk and nothing vibrates at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2010
location: OB, MS
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
The idea isn't to cover every square inch of surface area with vibration dampener. Like Wrathernaut said above, you only need 25% coverage for a flat surface. If the metal has a bunch of bends and valleys it isn't going to vibrate. That's not to say it won't help in those areas but the return on investment isn't as great.

If you want to make your vehicle quiet you need to use MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I would line the floor and the area behind your seats. It is meant to have no gaps only where necessary. Of course you would still need the dampener with some closed cell foam on it, then the MLV installed on top of everything else.

To be dead honest, I think your throwing your money down the drain on dynamat. Another company to look at is Raamaudio.com. They have a very good dampener (which I use) as well as a closed cell foam (also use) with adhesive on the back already.

In my opinion Damplifier Pro is a waste of money. The regular Damplifier is sufficient and I'm sure other's would agree. Once vibration is controlled, it's controlled the added thickness just equates to more money and isn't needed.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK were do I get this stuff? -closed-cell foam or mass-loaded vinyl barrier
Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2010
location: OB, MS
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raamaudio sells CCF(closed cell foam) I would recommend you get the peel & stick. You can find MLV on ebay. I've bought some from soundproofcow.com in the past. Keep in mind that MVL is very heavy for what it is. The roll I have is 2lbs. per square foot, while most is 1lbs per square foot. Shipping will be expensive for MLV.

In my last order from rammaudio I bought one pack of 37.5 sq ft. of deadener and 3 yards of P & S CCF and I think it was around $160 shipped to my door. You should be able to do your whole car with 37.5 sq ft as long as you only put it where needed.

Last edited by nar93da; 05-24-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Sep 2006
location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nar93da View Post
The idea isn't to cover every square inch of surface area with vibration dampener. Like Wrathernaut said above, you only need 25% coverage for a flat surface. If the metal has a bunch of bends and valleys it isn't going to vibrate. That's not to say it won't help in those areas but the return on investment isn't as great.

If you want to make your vehicle quiet you need to use MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I would line the floor and the area behind your seats. It is meant to have no gaps only where necessary. Of course you would still need the dampener with some closed cell foam on it, then the MLV installed on top of everything else.

To be dead honest, I think your throwing your money down the drain on dynamat. Another company to look at is Raamaudio.com. They have a very good dampener (which I use) as well as a closed cell foam (also use) with adhesive on the back already.

In my opinion Damplifier Pro is a waste of money. The regular Damplifier is sufficient and I'm sure other's would agree. Once vibration is controlled, it's controlled the added thickness just equates to more money and isn't needed.
So would you suggest using Damplifier and then MLV on top of it? I'm scared it would be too thick and I can't put all the panels back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut View Post
Unless our trunk has 320 sq. ft of surface area, that's a *HUGE* waste.

Damplifier pro is a vibration dampener, not a noise barrier. Once vibration is controlled (25% coverage) you're using the wrong (and most expensive) tool for the job by doing it that way.

I used about 6 CLD tiles (about 6 sq. feet) in my trunk and nothing vibrates at all.
I wanted to buy a bunch now in case I wanted to do other areas of the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nar93da View Post
Raamaudio sells CCF(closed cell foam) I would recommend you get the peel & stick. You can find MLV on ebay. I've bought some from soundproofcow.com in the past. Keep in mind that MVL is very heavy for what it is. The roll I have is 2lbs. per square foot, while most is 1lbs per square foot. Shipping will be expensive for MLV.

In my last order from rammaudio I bought one pack of 37.5 sq ft. of deadener and 3 yards of P & S CCF and I think it was around $160 shipped to my door. You should be able to do your whole car with 37.5 sq ft as long as you only put it where needed.
Said it comes "14 sq ft per running yard, 56" wide!"
How much do I need?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2010
location: OB, MS
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaneedles View Post
Said it comes "14 sq ft per running yard, 56" wide!"
How much do I need?
Best thing to do is measure the area you want to cover and do a little math. That foam is great for stopping rattles and such in between panels.

I would only put the MLV on entire floor if you were going to do it. I know for a fact you can place it behind the door panel as you can't get it back on. It's best to use CCF to decouple the MLV.

Instead of me just typing, it's time to do some research. Here are some links for good reads. Should keep anyone busy for a while.



Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Sep 2006
location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm just going to thug life it and install B-Quiet Ultimate first. I'll report after it's done but it won't be for awhile though. I still have to install my suspension, wheels, BBK, wait for car to be repainted, and install my DD (shout out to Wrathernaut!).

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trunk lid wire harness ara777 G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 8 10-25-2017 02:45 PM
FS: **G35 Twin Turbo** g.spot G35 Cars 12 05-09-2016 11:54 PM
David's 2007 G35 Coupe Build Thread davizzle Media Share G35 Coupe V35 18 12-13-2015 01:47 PM
Water Madness G35xdriver04 G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 11 11-07-2015 09:31 PM
Aftermarket Trunk Help Albanian122 G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 3 09-07-2015 08:41 PM


Tags
buy, ccf, cld, coupe, drone, dynamat, exhaust, floor, foam, g35, panoramic-3d.ru, good, loaded, mass, tiles, trunk, vinyl
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, panoramic-3d.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


nissan g36maaco nycsaleen mustang wheelssanta barbara infinitiinfiniti burnabymaaco nycacorn bulge lug nutsavic z120bt updatez31 engine swap5x112 stud patternhow to take off alternator pulleynapa gold oil filter reviewzriders of texasoptima yellow top 51rshaved doors kiteibach pro kit 350zeclipse avn5435sarona front bumpercoilovers adjustmentturboxs tunerhow many knock sensors does a car havedfw 99998alpine plt-5gator grip socket wheel locksmegan racing mufflers22 inch staggered rims for salesundown sa-80w-30 castrol edgediy headlight adjustmentbagriders comg35 sedan weightflashing airbag light nissantrouble code p0340optima 34r red tophayden electric fanskerb weight vs gross weighthow much does valve cover gasket replacement costnissan 350z airbagcar codes p0420nissan dealership shreveportts-c720prsinfiniti g35 headlight replacementinjen sesyellow top battery autozonekinetix 350zkicker 10c124 specssquealing enginebumperplugs comskyline swapnavi sound clipg35 coupe nismo exhauststance g35optima battery costcold air blows when heater is on2006 infiniti m45 sport specs350z rays track wheels2003 kia rio alternatornismo exhaust 350zfender rolling san diego350z nismo reviewhow to remove air from coolant systemwww.robbinsrepairables.commyron & davisquixx paint repair pen reviewrockford fosgate t1 12 subwooferjl audio w7 12 boxg37s rimsturbo kits for 350zpepe infiniti service2008 infinity g35x350z license plate framewhere can i get my rotors resurfacedg35 picsspark plug covered in oil