Anyone use Second Skin Spectrum Sound Deadener? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Anyone use Second Skin Spectrum Sound Deadener?

Anyone use Second Skin Spectrum Sound Deadener?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Anyone use Second Skin Spectrum Sound Deadener?

I'm in the middle of planning an audio system design for my G and was wondering if anyone has used the Spectrum spray sound deadener by Second Skin. It looks like it has got some good reviews. I would plan to use it on all the metal parts of the G on the floor and in the doors. Seems easy to apply with either a spray gun or just rolling it on (I'd probably get the spray gun). Of course they recommend using this plus their mats, but I would just do multiple layers of the spray stuff. Any thoughts on this stuff?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
+1 I wanna know how well this stuff works, pretty much any spray on deadener
Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Grocery getter
From what I have always understood about the liquid stuff, it works well when multiple coats are applied but still not as well as the normal sheets.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I've seen it used to great effect as a first layer or in locations where it's not easy to get sheeting in. A good deadening material will usually be butyl based and 60-80mil thick, which is pretty substantial.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I would just be using a 3mm thick layer (118 mils) of spectrum if I did this. I would like to do the entire floor on the inside, but I do not know how difficult it is to remove the entire interior. If nothing else, I would use this on the doors for at least some sort of deadening.

ttrank, I have heard that in general, but some people seem to believe this particular product can be as effective as sheets. Just trying to find some first hand experience!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 AM
I used this in my previous vehicle. It can either be used as the top layer or bottom latyer, however, if it is the bottom layer, you need to give it 30 days to FULLY cure. It gets hard after a few hours, but it still needs time for it to completely take its solid state.

I did the rear deck, trunk lid, trunk floor, rear quarter panels, hood, wheel wells, all doors and front fenders. You can't roll it on, but you can paint it on. I recommend at minimum 3 layers. For my trunk floor and rear quarter panels I diluted the Spectrum with water. I forgot my spray gun that I bought from second skin at home and didn't want to drive an hour back to get it. A friend of mine was letting me use his air compressor. I did do heavier coats, which still works, but the Spectrum is thicker liquid so if you use a spray gun, an ordinary one will not work.

What I found to be the most effective was the spectrum sludge. This stuff you apply by hand or some sort of putty knife. I applied by hand since it was much easier and the places I was applying it to were going to be covered so if it didn't come out smooth it was not a big deal. You could always use a putty knife to smooth it out.

When spraying the trunk, i highly recommend covering the entire exterior vehicle. Small particles of spectrum will find their way on your vehicle and you'll end up having to use clay bar to remove it. If you happen to get it on a window or windshield, remove it IMMEDIATELY. I went through the hassle of scraping off my rear windshield with a razor because I was lazy and didn't take it off when it first happened. It took numerous hours.

I'd recommend ANY Second Skin Product. If you are going to do the doors, I would recommend the Damplifier or Damplifier Pro. But for large areas or areas with lots of uneven surfaces, Spectrum or Sludge would be the best way to go. Actually for the trunk I'd say go with spectrum. For a smaller uneven area, sludge.

In all honesty, if you have questions, call up Ant (Anthony). He's a great guy and makes great products and will help you and will not oversell you anything. If you have questions about the amount of product you should buy, he's helpful with that as well.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Good stuff. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
i just wanted to drop another recommendation for ss and ant. i'm in the middle of installing damplifier in the whole car. UPS mangled my box and half my order fell out along the way. SS shipped me a replacement for the second half of my order, with no hassle, right away. I'd get their stuff just for the customer service if nothing else.